Trade Deadline: What do You want to See?

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Instead of having it in every single thread, let's keep what we'd all like to see in here if we can.

I'll address mine in a player-by-player breakdown:

Shark: Hold, and re-sign. 5/$70M? It would be a starting point.
Garza: Hold, and re-sign. He's apparently wanting a contract something like 4/$70M, which is higher than I'd prefer, but I've come around on keeping Garza (in large part thanks to *gulp* this board).
Wood: Hold -- don't think he's being dangled anyway
Valbuena: If anyone offers anything of substance, trade him.

Gregg: Some team will offer a decent 'spect for him, and the Cubs will take it.
Russell: See Gregg, though I'd be okay if we kept him.
Everyone else in the bullpen: :shrug:

The only non-pitchers I see getting traded are outfielders and maybe Barney.
Sori: Get a 'spect for him, wish him well. He's streaky as hell, but has played well for the Cubs lately.
Scheirholtz: Good player can be a nice platoon option for a good team, or a DH option for an AL team.

Garza, of course, is the big fish in all of this, as he could net the highest return...but if we lock up him, Shark, and Wood (on top of already having Jackson), we've got our SP's (plus a filler) for the next 4-5 years. I've seen enough from the pitching staff to be positive about their futures, and with some progress from the kids in the minors and the occasional FA that's actually good (albeit, there's not many after this season), we could be competitive soon-ish.

inactiveuser1

The Legend
Donator
Liked Posts:
Take advantage of Sorianos current hot streak to get the best possible prospect in return

patg006

Liked Posts:
Instead of having it in every single thread, let's keep what we'd all like to see in here if we can.

Garza: Hold, and re-sign. He's apparently wanting a contract something like 4/$70M, which is higher than I'd prefer, but I've come around on keeping Garza (in large part thanks to *gulp* this board).

Sori: Get a 'spect for him, wish him well. He's streaky as hell, but has played well for the Cubs lately.
Scheirholtz: Good player can be a nice platoon option for a good team, or a DH option for an AL team.

Garza, of course, is the big fish in all of this, as he could net the highest return...but if we lock up him, Shark, and Wood (on top of already having Jackson), we've got our SP's (plus a filler) for the next 4-5 years. I've seen enough from the pitching staff to be positive about their futures, and with some progress from the kids in the minors and the occasional FA that's actually good (albeit, there's not many after this season), we could be competitive soon-ish.

Shark: Turned down 5 years and over 70 million last winter. He will have a big price tag.
Garza: Should get 5 years, 70 million.
Wood: Pay this man if he stays consistent through the end of the year. He dipped end of last year.
Valbuena: Get a real 3B and move him to 2B
Gregg: Nobody will pay for him, ride the lightning; hope he plays his ass off he becomes a 'B' free agent next year and let him walk for pick.
Soriano: Keep him. He wont get a desired return, and fronting 15+ of next year's 18 million to watch him be a great contributor is counter-productive.
Scheirholtz: Trade him, upgrade with Corey Hart next season.

Reactions: X

CSF77

Liked Posts:

I want to see?

Garza retained.
Shark traded if they can get a power LH bat that can play a corner OF and a high ended SP. I'm not sold on Shark at this point.
Wood retained. He could become a solid #3.
Val don't care. Minor concern.
Schierholtz traded. I like Sweeney better for right now and he doen't need to be platooned.
Sorianio Retained. They need to see this deal through to the end.
Dejesus retained. He is still a solid lead off and can play CF decently.

That is about it. If they can get Bryant and Baez close by next year and get a power LH bat for LF the hitting core would start to be on our door step. CF there is Szczur ready by 2014ish so retaining Dejesus until then makes sense. 2B A.A. should be close. Soler and Almora upwelling. Vogelbach if Rizzo flops. etc.

At that point I'd look at getting a true #1 like Price with Garza as a #2 and Wood as a #3. 4/5 Jackson and any arm that sticks via the farm. Val or Baker until then.

Now what I believe will happen.

Garza traded. Baker gets healthy and gets a short deal for less per year to replace Garza. Rest status Que.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Garza: Trade him to a team willing to give up pitching prospects who're close to the majors, or a young, controllable pitcher (a la Drew Smyly for an example) and either a projectable centerfielder or catcher. Second for him would be giving him a contract extension that doesn't exceed with Detroit gave to Anibal Sanchez (5yrs, $88MM). Third is get the sandwich pick for compensation.

Samardzjia: No reason to deal him. Too much control. Ride out arbitration at least one year and if somebody blows you away with an offer, trade him. If not, keep him and hope he's able to stake claim as a legitimate #2 starter.

Soriano: Pray a contender gets hungry for a right-handed bat they can stick in left or have DH. Detroit or Oakland make sense. Both teams have things we'd want, too. The big hangup is going to be what the Cubs would have to pay to send him out. Obviously, that'll dictate the quality of prospect(s) we'd get in return.

Schierholtz: Good trade bait, I think somebody will want him as a fourth outfielder. He's been consistent and is getting paid next to nothing. Certainly not a building block for us, so why not deal him.

Gregg: There's a reason why this guy was out of baseball, last night showed. A closer needs to be able to ramp it up over 95, unless your name is Trevor Hoffman. I think the Cubs missed the boat on getting anything of true value for him, but he might be a nice throw-in with Soriano or Garza if it meant getting a true blue chipper.

Russell: Cheap reliever who's valuable two-fold -- he's a lefty and he's under control until 2016. Not closer material, but a nice 7th/8th inning option. He's been the Cubs best reliever the last two years. He's certainly a guy the Cubs can use going forward.

Ancillary guys like DeJesus, Valbuena, et. al: I guess just gauge the market and check the pulse. DeJesus's injury kinds of puts a damper on dealing him. Depending on who gets sent out, that should set the tone for how the Cubs approach free agency.

One other note: The Feldman trade really prefaced the impending deal for Garza, and maybe even Gregg. Arrieta stays down in AAA for a few weeks to work on mechanics and Strop comes in and has looked very solid in his limited time. A lot of times relievers need a change of scenery and this may have been the case with him. He's got solid stuff, definitely a guy worth keeping around.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Garza: Trade him to a team willing to give up pitching prospects who're close to the majors, or a young, controllable pitcher (a la Drew Smyly for an example) and either a projectable centerfielder or catcher. Second for him would be giving him a contract extension that doesn't exceed with Detroit gave to Anibal Sanchez (5yrs, $88MM). Third is get the sandwich pick for compensation.

Samardzjia: No reason to deal him. Too much control. Ride out arbitration at least one year and if somebody blows you away with an offer, trade him. If not, keep him and hope he's able to stake claim as a legitimate #2 starter.

Soriano: Pray a contender gets hungry for a right-handed bat they can stick in left or have DH. Detroit or Oakland make sense. Both teams have things we'd want, too. The big hangup is going to be what the Cubs would have to pay to send him out. Obviously, that'll dictate the quality of prospect(s) we'd get in return.

Schierholtz: Good trade bait, I think somebody will want him as a fourth outfielder. He's been consistent and is getting paid next to nothing. Certainly not a building block for us, so why not deal him.

Gregg: There's a reason why this guy was out of baseball, last night showed. A closer needs to be able to ramp it up over 95, unless your name is Trevor Hoffman. I think the Cubs missed the boat on getting anything of true value for him, but he might be a nice throw-in with Soriano or Garza if it meant getting a true blue chipper.

Russell: Cheap reliever who's valuable two-fold -- he's a lefty and he's under control until 2016. Not closer material, but a nice 7th/8th inning option. He's been the Cubs best reliever the last two years. He's certainly a guy the Cubs can use going forward.

Ancillary guys like DeJesus, Valbuena, et. al: I guess just gauge the market and check the pulse. DeJesus's injury kinds of puts a damper on dealing him. Depending on who gets sent out, that should set the tone for how the Cubs approach free agency.

One other note: The Feldman trade really prefaced the impending deal for Garza, and maybe even Gregg. Arrieta stays down in AAA for a few weeks to work on mechanics and Strop comes in and has looked very solid in his limited time. A lot of times relievers need a change of scenery and this may have been the case with him. He's got solid stuff, definitely a guy worth keeping around.
Not a huge issue though in one respect. The Cubs are going to be paying him no matter what. So you might as well pay him and get something useful for the future back for him rather than just paying him for no real building process.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

I think Russel is a guy that the Cubs can dangle out there and get a bullpen needy team(Detroit) to bite on though too. The one thing about relievers is that unles they are top tier guys(Russel isn't) they are pretty easily replaceable in the long run. Sean Marshall left and he was supposed to be the L33T but does anyone really miss him or even really remember him at this point?

Russel could be a key trade chip to throw in there at some point in a deal for a guy like Sori that could help net more prospects back. MRP's are so volatile I think it's really tough to say Russel will be the part of anything moving forward with any degree of certainty.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I think Russel is a guy that the Cubs can dangle out there and get a bullpen needy team(Detroit) to bite on though too. The one thing about relievers is that unles they are top tier guys(Russel isn't) they are pretty easily replaceable in the long run. Sean Marshall left and he was supposed to be the L33T but does anyone really miss him or even really remember him at this point?

Russel could be a key trade chip to throw in there at some point in a deal for a guy like Sori that could help net more prospects back. MRP's are so volatile I think it's really tough to say Russel will be the part of anything moving forward with any degree of certainty.

I agree that Gregg and Russell are both more valuable if they're included with a more appealing player like Garza or Soriano. I've read several reports that Detroit was wanting a reliever included if they were to extend talks on getting Garza. Maybe the Cubs could even end up looking at a mega-deal like Boston and Los Angeles did last year? Maybe Garza, Soriano and Russell to Detroit? That would all but guarantee that the Cubs could land two of Detroit's top 5 guys, and maybe even a pre-arbitration major leaguer. One can assume that this is why Detroit hasn't really stepped up talks, because they're afraid to give up on a guy like Castellanos or Vasquez.

czman

Liked Posts:
I want to see?

Garza retained.
Shark traded if they can get a power LH bat that can play a corner OF and a high ended SP. I'm not sold on Shark at this point.
Wood retained. He could become a solid #3.
Val don't care. Minor concern.
Schierholtz traded. I like Sweeney better for right now and he doen't need to be platooned.
Sorianio Retained. They need to see this deal through to the end.
Dejesus retained. He is still a solid lead off and can play CF decently.

That is about it. If they can get Bryant and Baez close by next year and get a power LH bat for LF the hitting core would start to be on our door step. CF there is Szczur ready by 2014ish so retaining Dejesus until then makes sense. 2B A.A. should be close. Soler and Almora upwelling. Vogelbach if Rizzo flops. etc.

At that point I'd look at getting a true #1 like Price with Garza as a #2 and Wood as a #3. 4/5 Jackson and any arm that sticks via the farm. Val or Baker until then.

Now what I believe will happen.

Garza traded. Baker gets healthy and gets a short deal for less per year to replace Garza. Rest status Que.

Why do they need to see this deal through the end? What could that possibly prove. IF they can get something for him they need to move him. He is good for 2-3 hot streaks a year. The rest of the time he is not very note worthy.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
no doubt that garza getting moved for hopefully at least 1 major league ready player position or starter, and prospects

soriano will be dealt as he looking like a guy the last couple weeks who seems to be ready and willing to move on..
seriously how long has it been since we seen soriano go all out for this many games and even swiped some bases when you least expect it..
i dont expect much for soriano, low end prospects...unless they pay most of his remaining salary

i dont think they move russell unless they get ready or near ready major league prospect(s) in return

Gregg wouldnt surprise me if they held onto him and extended him for next year, they really dont have a closer unless they press parker in that spot or maybe stropp for the rest of the year.. a return for gregg would have to be the same as for russell , ready or near ready major league prospect(s) in return.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Soriano - Trade him for a LH Pitching prospect. Or a RH pitching prospect. Or a NO handed pitching prospect. Or a bag of balls and a broken bat! But for the love of all that is holy, TRADE him and TURN THE PAGE on that era. Get rid of him and his complete and utter lack of understanding of the game of baseball. Get someone who makes contact with a guy on 3rd and nobody out. get a guy who cares if he holds a runner on first. PLEASE!

Samardzijia - Why trade him? He would not bring as good a package as Garza, doesn't cost a fortune, and is under control for a while. No big benefit to trading him. I agree with the poster who said "If somebody blows you away with an offer, trade him". But otherwise, hang onto him.

Garza - I have been looking forward to the trade of Garza to see how well we can do. But to be honest, I'd be happy if they signed him too. But if he won't sign, get some TOP prospect. He is the most valuable commodity on the block this year. Cash in! (Unlike when Hendry gave away Lilly, and last year when Dempster screwed Theo and Jed over!)

Russell - keep him.

Wood - keep him. (he's not being discussed)

Gregg - Trade him now while he's "hot", i.e. lukewarm. It's as hot as he'll get.

Anyone else...if they're not part of the team's future, and you can get a guy who possibly could be, make the trade. But I don't expect much activity.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I'm certainly not suggesting Lilly had equal value to what Garza currently has. But at the time he was traded, he was the best pitcher available, and Jimbo traded him and Theriot for a guy who played the same position as Theriot, and not as well. We had the best P available, and WE threw in a player. Still don't get that one.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
If they don't trade Soriano, or make every possible attempt to, they're crazy.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Garza will be traded (Texas my pick)
Gregg will be traded (Boston my pick)
Russell could be traded (If so, Detroit my pick)
Schierholtz could be traded (Pittsburgh my pick)
Soriano could be traded (Texas my pick, especially if Cruz is suspended)
Navarro could be traded (I don't know who)

Wood ain't going anywhere.
Valbuena isn't going anywhere.
Dejesus isn't going anywhere - especially with injury.
Samardzija won't be traded, but think he should - won't get offer Cubs want.
Bench plaayers - all suck, won't be any return, plus cheap so keep.

I would totally try to trade Darwin Barney - not by hisself since he won't get a return, but pair him up with a player to make package better.
Carlos Villanueva: That's tricky, prolly a longshot. But not much pitchers on market and a lot of teams need SP. Plus he pitches out of relief too.

I say at least 2 more trades are on the way, prolly a goodshot for 3-4.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
Hold Matt Garza
Hold Alfonso Soriano
Hold Jeff Samardzija
Hold Travis Wood

Trade Kevin Gregg
Trade Luis Valbuena

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Finally dump Soriano and call up Brett Jackson and see what a couple of these young OF guys have.

The Cubs need to make a decision on Jackson befor the gets passed in the minors by Soler and Almora.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
I'd like to see the Cubs bring up Brett Jackson, Josh Vitters, Junior Lake and Matt Szczur.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'd like to see the Cubs bring up Brett Jackson, Josh Vitters, Junior Lake and Matt Szczur.

I just want to see what they can do before the real wave of talent is ready in Baez, Soler, Almora and Bryant.

If we don't then those guys are neither big league players or real trade commodities.