Trade up for a QB or wait for a top pick in 2022?

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
you also assume this is their only chance at a franchise qb...there will undoubtedly be cuts on defense meaning the bears will unlikely do better than 8-8 meaning they will be in better position to have a shot at guys like howell, shough, slovis etc...

Just because a guy like russell wilson survived without a competent oline doesnt mean other franchise qb's can do the same. If you draft wilson and he gets pummeled like sam darnold did, that could very well ruin your qb.
I’m not saying this is their only chance. What I am saying is that this the chance that is closest to now.

As I said in another thread, they may very well be middle of the road again next season, and then we’re having this exact same discussion a year from now. If they feel they need to sit him a year (probably won’t need too-the OL needs fixing but a good QB can manage), then fine. They will never have all of the perfect pieces in place for their new QB. But that new QB is undoubtedly the most important piece.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Why reach for a QB with this current roster, it makes no sense. Owners should be thinking like:

- Keep Pace as far away from this draft and any future drafts as possible (fire the fucking idiot)
- Dont trade any draft capital to move up down or sideways, especially for a QB, you havent proven capable of finding one in the past 50 years or more
- Increase your draft capital by moving aging players
- Build a fucking O Line
- Build a fucking O Line
- Build a fucking O Line

Imagine if the 2016 Houston Texans said it made no sense to add a QB with their current roster. 28th ranked offense, Brock Osweiler at QB, bad OL, but a really good defense and somehow backed into the playoffs at 9-7.

And I've said this like 12 times on this board, but how do you increase draft capital by moving aging players? If you don't want the aging players.....guess who else doesn't want them? They aren't trading Mack. They can't trade Quinn. They wouldn't get more than a 5th for Hicks or a 7th for Trevathan. That's closer to nothing than actual usable draft capital.

As for the OL, I've seen people within the last week claiming the interior was fixed with Mustipher and Bars, maybe even to the point that James Daniels wouldn't have a spot when healthy. People want Ifedi back at RT. And the OL you want to build upon has been really good recently (2 pressures allowed yesterday), and finished middle of the pack in the league.

Now, I'm not saying don't build the OL, definitely trade up for a QB, or don't trade aging players. But it's foolish to dismiss anything that would improve this team. If they can get within reach of a QB, they should do it. If they can keep the defense without pushing money to the future and still make the necessary moves on offense, they should do it. They should definitely build the OL, but not at the expense of a singular focus. A similar singular focus had this team bringing in 13 kickers and 12 TEs instead of looking at the real problems on this team. And as important as the OL is, if they build the OL and don't have a QB or let Robinson walk and don't replace him.....the offense still is going to suck ass.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If this regime is still intact, there is absolutely no way they approach next year as a throw away. I'd be fine with a do over of the lot and then that could be the case but I think this group does everything they can to have a winning season next year.

JoSeCuERvO

CBMB Crossover
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Orlando City SC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Miami Hurricanes
Imagine if the 2016 Houston Texans said it made no sense to add a QB with their current roster. 28th ranked offense, Brock Osweiler at QB, bad OL, but a really good defense and somehow backed into the playoffs at 9-7.

And I've said this like 12 times on this board, but how do you increase draft capital by moving aging players? If you don't want the aging players.....guess who else doesn't want them? They aren't trading Mack. They can't trade Quinn. They wouldn't get more than a 5th for Hicks or a 7th for Trevathan. That's closer to nothing than actual usable draft capital.

As for the OL, I've seen people within the last week claiming the interior was fixed with Mustipher and Bars, maybe even to the point that James Daniels wouldn't have a spot when healthy. People want Ifedi back at RT. And the OL you want to build upon has been really good recently (2 pressures allowed yesterday), and finished middle of the pack in the league.

Now, I'm not saying don't build the OL, definitely trade up for a QB, or don't trade aging players. But it's foolish to dismiss anything that would improve this team. If they can get within reach of a QB, they should do it. If they can keep the defense without pushing money to the future and still make the necessary moves on offense, they should do it. They should definitely build the OL, but not at the expense of a singular focus. A similar singular focus had this team bringing in 13 kickers and 12 TEs instead of looking at the real problems on this team. And as important as the OL is, if they build the OL and don't have a QB or let Robinson walk and don't replace him.....the offense still is going to suck ass.
I guess I would have to respond with, where are the Texans now? Maybe they are a product of a terrible Coach/GM who left that team in disarray before getting shit canned. Time will tell for Watson and the Texans but i thought the price was steep just as i thought the price on Mitch was steep.

Im just answering the question asked by OP, "should they trade up for a QB". And again, my response would be no, they shouldnt reach, they dont have a good track record. Keep your picks and improve more than just the one piece of the team that they obviously have no clue on how to improve, either because they dont know how to evaluate talent properly, dont know how to develop talent properly or have a shitty coach who doesnt know how to use the talent properly. My guess is that they suffer from all 3. Why do the same thing again, wouldnt that just be insane?

Because the shuffled some pieces around doesnt mean that the o line is fixed, its not even close. Build the lines both O and D, isnt that where they say games are won and lost? Im sure even Mitch might look a little better with a great OL in front of him. The current OL roster is below average.

Moving aging players doesn't always mean move your oldest guys, there are still players that are not over the hill that have value that can be moved, the front office needs to show some creativity. Its not as cut and dry as you make it out to be as in "no one wants them if we dont", thats just bullshit.

I think we all want the same thing, a winner or at the very least a competitor.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I guess I would have to respond with, where are the Texans now? Maybe they are a product of a terrible Coach/GM who left that team in disarray before getting shit canned. Time will tell for Watson and the Texans but i thought the price was steep just as i thought the price on Mitch was steep.

Im just answering the question asked by OP, "should they trade up for a QB". And again, my response would be no, they shouldnt reach, they dont have a good track record. Keep your picks and improve more than just the one piece of the team that they obviously have no clue on how to improve, either because they dont know how to evaluate talent properly, dont know how to develop talent properly or have a shitty coach who doesnt know how to use the talent properly. My guess is that they suffer from all 3. Why do the same thing again, wouldnt that just be insane?

Because the shuffled some pieces around doesnt mean that the o line is fixed, its not even close. Build the lines both O and D, isnt that where they say games are won and lost? Im sure even Mitch might look a little better with a great OL in front of him. The current OL roster is below average.

Moving aging players doesn't always mean move your oldest guys, there are still players that are not over the hill that have value that can be moved, the front office needs to show some creativity. Its not as cut and dry as you make it out to be as in "no one wants them if we dont", thats just bullshit.

I think we all want the same thing, a winner or at the very least a competitor.

The Texans are in the position they're in (4-12, no 1st or 2nd round pick) because they tried to build the OL with disregard to everything else. They used multiple early picks on reaches on the OL (Howard, Scharping) and then traded multiple 1sts for Tunsil.

I agree they have issues with all 3 at QB. But QB isn't a position you just stop trying at. And if you want to build the OL....using that same theory, the Bears haven't shown they can properly evaluate, develop or use their OL talent properly (Whitehair at C for years) either.

I didn't mean to imply the OL is fixed. But they were a big reason the team performed well the previous 4 weeks, and their 2 pressures allowed yesterday didn't kill the team. The gameplan and the QB play killed the team. Why? Because those things are more important that OL. I don't say games are won on both lines. Games are won by QBs, like Aaron Rodgers won that game yesterday by hitting open receivers all day because he was 12 steps ahead of Pagano. Ideally, I'd change the coach who continually puts out shitty gameplans too. But since he's likely safe, they gotta at least try a QB that allows Nagy to not put out shitty gameplans because he's afraid of letting him throw the ball down the field.

And yes, we definitely all want the same thing. But this doesn't have to be a 50 step, 4-year process. I know the Bears don't have a lot of cap room or high draft picks, but there's really no reason why the Bears have to choose between QB, OL or the defense and have to tank in 2021. And there's no reason to expect Pace/Nagy or whoever the GM/coach is to think that way.