Trading Down with Cleveland

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I think that they'd have to get better than a 2nd and a 4th to trade down that number of spots. Perhaps their number 12 this year their 2nds this year and next year along with a 4th or 5th this year.

Yeah that's what I think.

#3 and maybe a 5th or something for #12, 33, a 4th, and a 2nd next year.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Every bit of Pace's career has led to this point. No pressure, but bust on a QB at three...pink slip, pass on a franchise QB via pick or trade...pink slip. Hope he has real conviction about the guys available at 3, cuz it will sting if he misses.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They could organizationally fall in love with two players at the top of the draft. In that scenario it might not be crazy train to see them doing something like this.

Its not that I want to particularly, unless the draft goes Garret one, and Allen two. Trade down sounds like a valid way out of that next pick. I would take the safety in that scenario, but would also be happy to pick up say RT Robinson(future LT) at #12. Hooker, or Peppers. And have more picks. Or maybe that is a better slot to swing for QB Trubs at 12, or Webb/Watson at 33.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They could organizationally fall in love with two players at the top of the draft. In that scenario it might not be crazy train to see them doing something like this.

Its not that I want to particularly, unless the draft goes Garret one, and Allen two. Trade down sounds like a valid way out of that next pick. I would take the safety in that scenario, but would also be happy to pick up say RT Robinson(future LT) at #12. Hooker, or Peppers. And have more picks. Or maybe that is a better slot to swing for QB Trubs at 12, or Webb/Watson at 33.

The only way Pace is trading down is if he picks up McCarron or JG. Then I could see him trading down to 6 or 10, still picking up a blue chip player, and recouping the cost of the trade. anything else would be a fire-able offense IMO.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The only way Pace is trading down is if he picks up McCarron or JG. Then I could see him trading down to 6 or 10, still picking up a blue chip player, and recouping the cost of the trade. anything else would be a fire-able offense IMO.

Why? I don't get the mentality of forcing a QB at 3 if it isn't there this year. Its actually franchise suicide. Pace needs to add a cost controlled impact player at #3, or trade down and pick up even greater roster value.

If "impact player" is at QB all the better, but missing on one is the only real MISTAKE he could make with these defenders at his disposal. The safe play is to take a defender, and look to that top of the second round for a WR to give barkley, or an upside QB who has fallen into "value" at that pick.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The impact of a QB is a few times greater than even a rush end/LB. There will be a QB at 3 that should be successful in the NFL. If Pace has identified him, he should take him unless he feels he's assured of getting him later but that type of assuredness is what got our last 2 GMs in trouble. JA trading down, expecting certain players there to find them or at least his preferred options gone, made for some very odd drafts with selections like Bauzine and the pool jumper. Obviously, If pace doesn't feel good about the prospect, go elsewhere but I suspect that if only one QB is gone, it will be hard to pass on #2.

Even if next years class is that much better. I suspect we pick outside the top 10 and it really doesn't matter if there's better than whats here this year, they'll all be gone by 10. This is a (hopefully) rare opportunity for the Bear. No none is saying take one just to take one but the long game would have you do so if you like the prospect.

Look what's happened to playoff teams without their impact QBs. Much, much worse than if they missed their impact LTs or pass rushers. What you can get by with in the regular season is different than post season. Playoff Ds need to be wary of both phases of O and can usually take one thing away.