Trubisky ranked the 21st best QB according to The Score.com

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Trubisky did seem to get visually better towards the end of the season as far as processes go, but he always had those "wtf throws" no matter what point in the season. That's why at this point, I'm leaning towards he might not be an accurate passer, and we might have to live with it.

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Floyd is not a miss.

I guess Floyd is to me, what Long is to Novak. I cannot comprehend why posters go so far to defend such a ineffective player, who was drafted to be a pass rusher.

The only defense is that the draft class was weak and there weren't a lot of better options, but still...it's been largely disappointing. (I'm just taking other poster's word for it because I don't follow other teams weak draftees.)

KennyH

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
As an outsider it's absolutely fascinating to see US fans get caught up with ratings and statistics. People actually caring where a random publication ranks someone. Or obsessing where a person was drafted three years later. which just seems to be a weird exercise in self flagellation.

He's clearly the Bears starting QB , and will be for the foreseeable future - that is clear from everything Nagy and Pace have said. He's also on an upwards trajectory after a single season under Nagy's offence and is beginning to get better weapons around him that will only make the team better.

Only stat that actually matters is team wins - and the kid is already proving he's better at getting them than any of the previous incumbents over the past three decades. The Bears moving on from Trubisky after this season, regardless of results, is about as likely as Nagy growing a man bun! :D

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
As an outsider it's absolutely fascinating to see US fans get caught up with ratings and statistics. People actually caring where a random publication ranks someone. Or obsessing where a person was drafted three years later. which just seems to be a weird exercise in self flagellation.

He's clearly the Bears starting QB , and will be for the foreseeable future - that is clear from everything Nagy and Pace have said. He's also on an upwards trajectory after a single season under Nagy's offence and is beginning to get better weapons around him that will only make the team better.

Only stat that actually matters is team wins - and the kid is already proving he's better at getting them than any of the previous incumbents over the past three decades. The Bears moving on from Trubisky after this season, regardless of results, is about as likely as Nagy growing a man bun! :D

True. But if we did draft Mahomes, this would be a multiple SB winner. Just sayin'.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I guess Floyd is to me, what Long is to Novak. I cannot comprehend why posters go so far to defend such a ineffective player, who was drafted to be a pass rusher.

The only defense is that that draft class was weak and there weren't a lot of better options, but still...it's been largely disappointing. (I'm just taking other poster's word for it because I don't follow other teams weak draftees.)
I clearly went as short a way as possible on that one.:giggle:

KennyH

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
True. But if we did draft Mahomes, this would be a multiple SB winner. Just sayin'.

Mahomes was lights out last season , be interesting to see how he fares when teams understand and respond to his playing style. Maybe he'll have a succession of great years, maybe he's the GOAT in waiting or maybe he'll burn bright and then burn out.

I personally like Trubisky and think he will be a player who will grow year on year, could be wrong, but my expectation is he won't peak for a few years but he will be the franchise QB many of us have been waiting on for a hell of a long time!

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Mahomes won't burn out. He's real. Questions coming out were about his ability to assimilate the NFL game. That's been answered. His other attributes have always been special. Could he take a step back? Sure but his step back would still be a top QB.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Only stat that actually matters is team wins - and the kid is already proving he's better at getting them than any of the previous incumbents over the past three decades.

Not sure how you figure that. Did they win 12 games because of trubisky or because they had the easiest schedule and best defense? Jim Miller/Shane Matthews won 13 games with great defense. As did Grossman. And they did it in John Shoop/Ron Turner offense, not a Matt Nagy offense.

Last edited:

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Only stat that actually matters is team wins - and the kid is already proving he's better at getting them than any of the previous incumbents over the past three decades.

Not really, but the more important question is: do you trust Trubisky to win a big game? He hasn't done it yet. The loss to Philly in the playoffs was historic in that the Bears defense was 1st in points allowed and turnovers created, and still couldn't get out of the wild-card round. The Bears had no problem clinching their division last year as only the Vikings barely scraped over .500 (8-7-1).

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This.

Not this.

I think people need to temper their expectations. Everyone knew when he was drafted, that the biggest issue with Trubisky was his inexperience. We can re-visit all the "Pace should have drafted X!" shit if we really want to, but people do that enough on this forum. In fact, for grown ass men, some motherfuckers do it WAY too much.

You couple his inexperience, with the fact that he played under John Fox and Dowell Loggains in his first season, and you have what in all likelihood would be a complete train wreck. It wasn't. He made mistakes, he showed flashes, the offense completely sucked. His first season was underwhelming, but so are most QB's first seasons. Some saw promise, some could only see doom and gloom. Whatever.

If you came to the forums last year before the season and dropped his stats and the Bears record, people would have cheered. After the 2018 season, some still see promise, and some see doom and gloom. But what I saw was incremental growth. Not just for him, but for the other offensive playmakers and Coach Nagy. I'd love to see him come out of the gate in 2019 and just facefuck the opposing defenses. But I'm not expecting it. I'm expecting more growth. I'm expecting him to be more comfortable being a NFL QB. I'm expecting him to be more comfortable with his weapons, his coach, his grasp of the playbook, his ability to read defenses, etc. I'm expecting improvement all around. But just let it happen. Don't get all caught up on where he was drafted, who else was drafted in his same class. Let Nagy and Trubisky work.

Mitch has now started in 40 college/NFL games. 13 at UNC, 26 regular season games for the Bears, and 1 playoff game that none of us will ever forget. To put that in perspective, Deshaun Watson started in 35 games at Clemson. It takes time. Let it take time.

And then if he sucks at the end of 2019, we'll just guillotine the fucking kid and get a new one. The end.

Well, the Bears were desperate for a QB and in position to have their pick of the entire draft.

Trubs can still go either way imo. Could continue to grow and be a solid top 3rd QB for years. Or he could plateau and wind up as a bottom half QB that is a passenger on this team.

But whatever happens with Trubs, it looks like the bears whiffed on a generational talent in Mahomes. It doesn't matter how many other teams passed on Mahomes or how unexpected his success is. Bears had the need and the draft position and they missed him. Thats always going to sting.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Well, the Bears were desperate for a QB and in position to have their pick of the entire draft.

Trubs can still go either way imo. Could continue to grow and be a solid top 3rd QB for years. Or he could plateau and wind up as a bottom half QB that is a passenger on this team.

But whatever happens with Trubs, it looks like the bears whiffed on a generational talent in Mahomes. It doesn't matter how many other teams passed on Mahomes or how unexpected his success is. Bears had the need and the draft position and they missed him. Thats always going to sting.

I think if the Bears had Mahomes at QB in 2018 instead of Trubisky, they have a 50/50 shot of winning the Super Bowl. I think it would be pretty easy to expect the Bears to plow through the NFC in the postseason, then its a question of whether or not the Patriots/Belichick "confuses" Mahomes like they did Goff in the Super Bowl, but Mahomes had no problem putting up points against NE with KC in the postseason.

Quite honestly, if the Bears had Mahomes along with their defensive core of Mack, Jackson, Goldman, & Roquan Smith, they could be the next NFL dynasty.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Those that are putting Dak ahead of Mitch simply did not watch much football other than Bears last year. I will leave it at that, no other explanation.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Those that are putting Dak ahead of Mitch simply did not watch much football other than Bears last year. I will leave it at that, no other explanation.

Dak spent half the season with Cole Beasley as his #1 (only?) WR. His numbers greatly improved in the 2nd half, which 'coincided' with the Cowboys getting Amari Cooper. He brought the Cowboys back from being 3-5 at midseason to 10-6 and winning the division. I thought he looked really good in both playoff games, the Cowboys just got steamrolled on defense.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think if the Bears had Mahomes at QB in 2018 instead of Trubisky, they have a 50/50 shot of winning the Super Bowl. I think it would be pretty easy to expect the Bears to plow through the NFC in the postseason, then its a question of whether or not the Patriots/Belichick "confuses" Mahomes like they did Goff in the Super Bowl, but Mahomes had no problem putting up points against NE with KC in the postseason.

Quite honestly, if the Bears had Mahomes along with their defensive core of Mack, Jackson, Goldman, & Roquan Smith, they could be the next NFL dynasty.

For me, Mahomes is prob always gon be that one that got away.

Doesn't really have any impact on how far Trubs goes in his career. But still. It looks like Mahomes is gon be a special talent and thats always gon sting.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

The only defense is that the draft class was weak and there weren't a lot of better options, but still...it's been largely disappointing. (I'm just taking other poster's word for it because I don't follow other teams weak draftees.)

What he was drafted for and being "ineffective" are not the same thing.

He is a very good run defender and in coverage and a mediocre pass rusher, that might not be what he was drafted for but it is far from ineffective.

Last 7 games last year he had 4 sacks and 9 QB hits, maybe the club has an effect on the overall season.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
For me, Mahomes is prob always gon be that one that got away.

Doesn't really have any impact on how far Trubs goes in his career. But still. It looks like Mahomes is gon be a special talent and thats always gon sting.

That is where I am at.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

I think they are similar.

Inconsistent throwers, but plus athletes and leaders with flashes in the passing game of top end talent.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
He’s ranked dead last amongst NFCN QB’s. He’s ranked worse than guys like Marcus Mariota and Dak Prescott. Frankly I think the writer(s) of this article were too generous as there are QB’s ranked below him like Rosen, Foles, Darnold and maybe even Andy Dalton, Josh Allen, Kyler Murray and Dwayne Haskins. Trubisky has the potential to fall even further on this list.

By the way, the quarterbacks that Pace deemed worse than Trubisky both ranked in the top 10 (Watson 10th, Mahomes 1st!)

It wasn't just Pace that deemed Trubisky better, but the entire NFL that was drafting QB's that year. Both KC and Cleveland attempted to get Mitchell.

He was the general consensus best QB pick in that draft at the time. Putting this on Pace is silly and ignorant of the context at the time.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It wasn't just Pace that deemed Trubisky better, but the entire NFL that was drafting QB's that year. Both KC and Cleveland attempted to get Mitchell.

He was the general consensus best QB pick in that draft at the time.
Putting this on Pace is silly and ignorant of the context at the time.
LOL what?

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:

He was the general consensus best QB pick in that draft at the time. Putting this on Pace is silly and ignorant of the context at the time.

I didn't think there was a general consensus best pick. I thought there were 3 guys who were graded "first round", and if any of the three were thought to be "consensus best", it was Watson. I don't think Pace did anything bad, it was just a missed opportunity. I would be more interested to know what Pace DIDN'T like about Mahomes, and why he felt Trubisky was so superior to Mahomes that he had to trade up to get him.