Trubisky Sitting all year vs Playing

gmoney1994

Liked Posts:
When the draft ended and up until Mitch's first start there was a debate between the fans and media if Mitch should play his rookie year or sit for the entire season and learn behind a veteran. Those in favorite of him sitting all year were concerned that if Mitch played now he would lose confidence over time, create bad habits or flat out get injured. Those in favorite wanted Mitch to get his bumps and bruises out of the way and learn on the job. Now that the season is over what approach (As of right now) do you think would work best for him for his long term growth?

Reactions: DC

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Well hasn't that ship already sailed? No way of knowing one way or the other but he got his lumps in and hopefully he learns from it while cleaning up some of the bad habits he picked up.

gmoney1994

Liked Posts:
Well hasn't that ship already sailed? No way of knowing one way or the other but he got his lumps in and hopefully he learns from it while cleaning up some of the bad habits he picked up.

Well there will still some that said if he played this year it would ruin him.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
With his lack of experience, I wanted him to start about mid year.

Starting doesn't ruin you unless you get beat to a pulp but starting before you have the O and mechanics down can lead to slower instead of faster growth. His preseason had me OK with accelerating things a bit but it's difficult to predict how they respond. We got lucky in that he seemed able to recorrect after games were he reverted a bit. Most don't and level off/down more than he did when asked to play within a pro pocket system and full reads.

As in most things, the general view will be black or white when I felt neither was the correct view.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Now that he got his bumps and bruises out of the way, it might be a good idea to sit him his second year, so he can learn the new playbook, and not loose confidence, or get injured.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Well there will still some that said if he played this year it would ruin him.

Well ruin seems like an exaggeration but I guess we will see how he responds next year. In the end, the play on the field is all that matters.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
It was crazy how bad we were. I'd bet that 80% of the fanbase (including myself) wanted Mitch to play sometime around week 6-8. I believe it was good for him to play. He seems like a smart, talented young QB. I can't believe he's so good already yet so raw still.

Whether I'm a free agent player or coach I'd be hauling ass to Chicago right now.

doctorbear

Liked Posts:
He didn't have a Kizer like season so I think overall the experience had to be helpful. Kizer might be fucked though.