Veteran QB Collins rejects chance to join Bears

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liked Posts:
By Brad Biggs

BOURBONNAIS -- Todd Collins has said no to the Bears.

The 15-year veteran quarterback turned down an offer to sign with the club after he was offered a contract for the minimum salary Monday. Backup Caleb Hanie is sidelined with an AC joint sprain, leaving the Bears with only starter Jay Cutler and rookie sixth-round pick Dan Lefevour, who struggled mightily in practice Monday.

Collins' agent Brad Blank explained that the Bears would not offer a small signing bonus or guarantee any money, and the 38-year-old Collins feared he would just to be a camp arm and be cut in a matter of weeks. NFL.com's Jason La Canfora first reported the development Tuesday morning.

"They could always call back in an hour and say something different," said Blank, who left the door open.
The Bears also made overtures to Trent Green and Damon Huard that were rejected. It will be tough to sign an experienced quarterback if the belief is that Hanie is ensured of being the No. 2 behind Cutler.

The Bears are expected to keep two quarterbacks on the 53-man roster, as they did last season, because it is difficult to imagine them keeping a third in LeFevour. The team is "all in" this season and a third quarterback takes up a spot that could be used for depth elsewhere, like on special teams.

"I'm not worried about losing the No. 2 job," Hanie said Monday. "I feel like I have done enough to earn that position and what I have is not a season-ending injury, not even half season, not even beginning of the season. I am definitely not worried about losing that position if that's what people are wondering."

Collins, who appeared in three games last season for the Washington Redskins, was attractive because he played in the same offense in Kansas City that Mike Martz uses. Collins is a bright guy who could have come in and picked things up quickly.

More...

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would too, he won't start and be backup. He would just be in camp and that's it.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Well the only other person I know of who is free has to be... yup J'marcus Russell for preaseaon play!

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
They don't want to offer any veteran QB guaranteed money and some fear that they'll just be a camp arm w/ the Bears keeping only 2 QBs on the roster. Why they're being cheap when they need a backup is beyond me.

Wrigley

Liked Posts:
I just don't think he really wants to play unless a specific team or two offer him a deal. It's nothing against the Bears, he just doesn't want to play football unless he gets the opportunity he's waiting/hoping for.

Status
Not open for further replies.