Vinny in the 4th Quarter

Fred

Liked Posts:
What a game. Salmons & Miller...without you, it would not have been. Thank you Johnny Pax.

I watched the game yesterday alone in a padded room. The wife wisely took the kids to the in-laws. When the Captain missed that uncontested layup that almost cost us the series, I actually blacked out for what seemed like an eternity. When I came to, I was standing over a 400 pound dead Buck in my living room. I'm not talking about Andrew Bogut...I'm talking a real Buck with hooves and antlers that roam the forest adjoining my house. I had a gone to a very dark place. But Rose extended his hand and pulled me from the abyss. I am now free. Joking aside, I thought Kirk played great for the first 3 quarters. I just can't figure out why he's turned into a poor man's Ben Wallace at the free throw line in Q4 and beyond.

On to the critiques. At the 8:50 mark of the 4th quarter, Tyrus Thomas hit a jumper to make the score 91-81 Bulls. During the next 5 minutes and 15 seconds, he played our leading scorer BG all of 45 seconds. Does anyone have a good answer for this? When he finally came back in for good at the 3:35 mark, the score was 99-91 Celtics.

I know he picked up his 5th foul with 4:55 left. So what? The game was slipping from our hands. I don't care that he was 4 of 14. It should be clear to even a drone that the defensive attention that Ben attracts opens up opportunities for guys like Brad Miller, who hit a wide open 3 on an assist from Ben. The layup in OT on the inbounds pass that Miller made: Tony Allen was late on the weakside help because he was too far out on BG.

Time Team Player Play Score
3:35 Chi B Gordon Substitution: Ben Gordon in for Tyrus Thomas.  Bos 99-91
3:35 Chi - Time Out Bos 99-91
3:38 Bos P Pierce 3 Point Field Goal Bos 99-91
3:52 Bos K Perkins Offensive Rebound Bos 96-91
3:53 Bos R Allen 2 Point Miss Bos 96-91
4:13 Bos P Pierce Defensive Rebound Bos 96-91
4:15 Chi J Salmons 3 Point Miss Bos 96-91
4:39 Bos P Pierce 2 Point Field Goal Bos 96-91
4:55 Bos R Allen 1 Point Free Throw Bos 94-91
4:55 Chi B Gordon Foul Bos 93-91
4:55 Chi K Hinrich Substitution: Kirk Hinrich in for Ben Gordon.  Bos 93-91
4:55 Chi B Gordon Foul Bos 93-91
4:58 Chi B Gordon Foul Bos 93-91
5:11 Chi D Rose Paul Pierce steals the ball from Derrick Rose.  Bos 93-91
5:25 Chi B Miller Substitution: Brad Miller in for Joakim Noah.  Bos 93-91
5:25 Bos G Davis Glen Davis with a traveling turnover: Traveling  Bos 93-91
5:40 Chi B Gordon Substitution: Ben Gordon in for Kirk Hinrich.  Bos 93-91
5:40 Bos - Defensive Rebound Bos 93-91
5:40 Chi D Rose 2 Point Miss Bos 93-91
6:01 Bos K Perkins 2 Point Field Goal Bos 93-91
6:03 Bos K Perkins Offensive Rebound Bos 91-91
6:05 Bos R Rondo 2 Point Miss Bos 91-91
6:30 Chi J Noah Joakim Noah with a offensive goaltending turnover: Offensive Goaltending  Bos 91-91
6:44 Bos R Allen 3 Point Field Goal Bos 91-91
7:00 Bos K Perkins Defensive Rebound Chi 91-88
7:01 Chi K Hinrich 2 Point Miss Chi 91-88
7:16 Bos G Davis 2 Point Field Goal Chi 91-88
7:39 Bos P Pierce Defensive Rebound Chi 91-86
7:41 Chi J Salmons 2 Point Miss Chi 91-86
7:53 Chi - Time Out Chi 91-86
8:00 Bos G Davis 2 Point Field Goal Chi 91-86
8:07 Bos R Rondo Defensive Rebound Chi 91-84
8:08 Chi D Rose 2 Point Miss Chi 91-84
8:32 Bos R Allen 2 Point Field Goal Chi 91-84
8:38 Bos G Davis Offensive Rebound Chi 91-82
8:39 Bos G Davis Missed Free Throw Chi 91-82
8:39 Chi J Noah Substitution: Joakim Noah in for Brad Miller.  Chi 91-82
8:39 Bos G Davis 1 Point Free Throw Chi 91-82
8:39 Chi B Miller Foul Chi 91-81
8:50 Chi T Thomas 2 Point Field Goal Chi 91-81

Shakes

Iconoclast
Liked Posts:
Why am I not surprised that you didn't mention if Ben didn't kick a gatorade bucket and give away a T we win in regulation? ;)

Fred

Liked Posts:
Shakes wrote:
Why am I not surprised that you didn't mention if Ben didn't kick a gatorade bucket and give away a T we win in regulation? ;)

Good point. I give up.

Salmons made me feel a whole lot better about next year after last night anyhow. We have someone who can perform in those situations along with Rose.

I wonder what Luol Deng was really thinking last night.....

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
I gotta say this though. Doc Rivers made a really dumb move by putting Tony Allen in the game for Big Baby. I honestly have no idea what Doc was thinking. Other than Marbury, he's the WORST player the C's have on their bench. He can't shoot, he can't pass, he can't defend, all he can to is drive to the hoop and miss layups. So I'm giving an honorable mention to Doc Rivers coaching in the 4th that helped us go on a 16-4 run to close out the game.

Shakes does bring up a good point though. BG needed to show some composure when he picked up that foul on one of the most blatant moving screens in this series so far. I know he was pissed, and I would be too, but in this series especially every single point is critical and I'm glad it didn't cost us in the end.

Diddy1122

Liked Posts:
I want to add this in Vinny's defense like I did on the podcast last night. He finally made defensive adjustments out there and started running two guys at Pierce everytime he got the ball. Pierce did not make a jumpshot since 3:38 in the 4th. And only scored on FTs in the 1st OT on two questionable calls, one in which he traveled. The Bulls effectively took him out of the game, and made it all fall on Ray Ray, and he rose to the challenge, time and time again like he's done all series. But so did the Bulls.

I could not be more proud of my Bulls right now. They have shown me everything I wasn't out of this team for the past two years. Play hard, play together, and never give up. Norm and Red are smiling in heaven right now.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:

At one point in game 4, he was thinking "I can take Doug Thonus in a game of 1 on 1".

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
Diddy1122 wrote:
I want to add this in Vinny's defense like I did on the podcast last night. He finally made defensive adjustments out there and started running two guys at Pierce everytime he got the ball. Pierce did not make a jumpshot since 3:38 in the 4th. And only scored on FTs in the 1st OT on two questionable calls, one in which he traveled. The Bulls effectively took him out of the game, and made it all fall on Ray Ray, and he rose to the challenge, time and time again like he's done all series. But so did the Bulls.

I could not be more proud of my Bulls right now. They have shown me everything I wasn't out of this team for the past two years. Play hard, play together, and never give up. Norm and Red are smiling in heaven right now.

VDN doesn't like to admit he's wrong, but he makes changes.

He has had timeouts at the end of games now even when he's let guys play through a few runs to have them. This was after he said he didn't make a mistake with the timeouts, okay, whatever buddy, say what you want, but you changed.

He said he liked the Bulls defensive strategy on Pierce after game 5, but in game 6 he aggressively doubled him when he was in isolation to great effect.

So when VDN is all defensive and says he wasn't wrong, look for him to change anyway. Why he has an issue admitting that he could have done things differently I don't know, but the important part is that he's willing to adapt even if he says he won't.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
I watched the game yesterday alone in a padded room. The wife wisely took the kids to the in-laws. When the Captain missed that uncontested layup that almost cost us the series, I actually blacked out for what seemed like an eternity. When I came to, I was standing over a 400 pound dead Buck in my living room. I'm not talking about Andrew Bogut...I'm talking a real Buck with hooves and antlers that roam the forest adjoining my house. I had a gone to a very dark place. But Rose extended his hand and pulled me from the abyss. I am now free. Joking aside, I thought Kirk played great for the first 3 quarters. I just can't figure out why he's turned into a poor man's Ben Wallace at the free throw line in Q4 and beyond.

I didn't think you would continue watching the game once Gordon fouled out.

:laugh:

Kirk got screwed because his missed layup was a goal tend, but it was a stupid shot, he should have kept running with the ball instead and burnt more time off the clock.

Diddy1122

Liked Posts:
dougthonus wrote:
Why he has an issue admitting that he could have done things differently I don't know, but the important part is that he's willing to adapt even if he says he won't.

Well he is Italian. Most Italians I know never admit when they were wrong. Maybe that has alittle to do with it.

maq25060

Liked Posts:
dougthonus wrote:

At one point in game 4, he was thinking "I can take Doug Thonus in a game of 1 on 1".
did he stare at you?

deng%20in%20teamspirit.jpg

pic.php

step

Liked Posts:
Kirk got screwed because his missed layup was a goal tend
The angle I saw didn't have Rondo touching the ball, couldn't really tell if he touched the rim. Happen to have any footage that shows it clearly?

Shakes

Iconoclast
Liked Posts:
Fred wrote:
Shakes wrote:

Good point. I give up.

I'm just stirring you up, I think it's funny how we win a triple overtime classic and your first post after is how a guy who had made 2 of his last 11 shots should have played more.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
step wrote:
Kirk got screwed because his missed layup was a goal tend
The angle I saw didn't have Rondo touching the ball, couldn't really tell if he touched the rim. Happen to have any footage that shows it clearly?

The original TNT replay they showed a dozen times showed him very clearly touching the rim and it looked like he probably touched the ball, but you couldn't tell for certain. Rim absolutely while the ball was in the cylinder. Not even a question.

Dpauley23

Liked Posts:
Ya Vinny has stepped it up during the playoffs with schemes and nice adjustments. People need to start giving him credit for the offense he runs. Good thing We didn't get Collins as he his one of biggest man crushes on Hinrich and probably would have Rose coming off the bench

Diddy1122

Liked Posts:
Dpauley23 wrote:
Ya Vinny has stepped it up during the playoffs with schemes and nice adjustments. People need to start giving him credit for the offense he runs. Good thing We didn't get Collins as he his one of biggest man crushes on Hinrich and probably would have Rose coming off the bench

HAHAHA! Collins almost has as big a crush on Kirk as Funk does.

You're right about the offense he's been running. But at the same time it's pretty simple, which actually works in the teams favor since there are alot of different players on this team than at the beginning of the season. But now Vinny has carved out a style for this team. Push the ball in transistion, pick-n-Roll with Rose for him to create, or Iso BG or Salmons. And you know what, it's really been working. They do run set screen plays, but for the most part it's that simple scheme.

And even though it pains me to say this, Vinny Del Negro is an NBA coach now.

Rose1

Liked Posts:
Dpauley23 wrote:

I think Hinrich could be like Gilbert Arenas. I don't know why he second guesses his talent. Kirk is my dude though.

Dpauley23

Liked Posts:
Did you really just say that? Have you ever watched basketball in your life?

Diddy1122

Liked Posts:
He's obviously playin' Dpauley. I remember him sayin he wanted Brooke Lopez instead of Rose on another thread and he was totally joking.