Waddle: Let Fields experience the game and make throws, good and bad

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Nothing earth-shattering, but another person calling on the Bears to take the chains off and figure out what they have in Justin Fields.

This comes from former Bears receiver Tom Waddle in his show with Marc Silverman, where Waddle says the Bears need to give Fields repetition on what an actual NFL game's workload looks like for a professional quarterback. He says Fields will grow more the more you give him that in-game experience and let him make the throws. Not all will be good, but they'll all be learning experiences, he says.

From the clip:

"(The Jags) are allowing Trevor Lawrence to grow and experience the game. Yesterday, 25 of 30 for 235 yards, two touchdowns, zero interceptions. You're seeing progress from him. And it's coming from repetitions that occur on gameday."

Discussed quite a bit yesterday, but mostly in the 3 p.m. and 4 p.m. hours - ‎Waddle & Silvy on Apple Podcasts

Nelly

Liked Posts:
I think they're more/as concerned with the protection than they are about Fields' ability to throw. Still doesn't mean they couldn't use the threat of the run game to set up more play action passes and roll-outs to get the passing game going at least somewhat.

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
And I'll ask the board....

How many times did Lovie Smith change his approach to games? Did John Fox pass more when fans complained about "run, run, pass, punt?" Did Matt Nagy change his system to accommodate his players strengths?

How often do coaches change when the media or fans question what they’re doing?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think they're more/as concerned with the protection than they are about Fields' ability to throw. Still doesn't mean they couldn't use the threat of the run game to set up more play action passes and roll-outs to get the passing game going at least somewhat.
The protection could be better but isn't as bad as advertised. He still takes sacks after 3 sec. or runs unto them. He's had some real stinkers in college and came back strong so fingers crossed.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
If you're more concerned about protection than about Fields' ability to throw, don't you do those rollouts more? Don't you move the pocket more and do play-action more? (Not to go down a rabbit hole, but stats pretty clearly show you *do not* need to set up the play-action with effective running---It works regardless, generally speaking.)

The fact that Getsy is not doing all those things they said they were going to do over the offseason tells me something is seriously wrong with either the coaching or the quarterback.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
And I'll ask the board....

How many times did Lovie Smith change his approach to games? Did John Fox pass more when fans complained about "run, run, pass, punt?" Did Matt Nagy change his system to accommodate his players strengths?

How often do coaches change when the media or fans question what they’re doing?
you're not wrong. I would rather see Fields flop for the remaining 16 games then go into year v2.0 with an unknown. Let him rip it good or bad, idgaf anymore.

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would love to see this. Even if it results in a 2td/3int games with over 250 yrds passing and a loss. This season isn’t about winning or losing. Half of the guys are on 1 yr deals that won’t be here next year anyway.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
If you're more concerned about protection than about Fields' ability to throw, don't you do those rollouts more? Don't you move the pocket more and do play-action more? (Not to go down a rabbit hole, but stats pretty clearly show you *do not* need to set up the play-action with effective running---It works regardless, generally speaking.)

The fact that Getsy is not doing all those things they said they were going to do over the offseason tells me something is seriously wrong with either the coaching or the quarterback.
Or the matchups. Maybe, just maybe they wanted to get through 2 really tough games without hanging fields out to dry. We will see Sunday

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
you're not wrong. I would rather see Fields flop for the remaining 16 games then go into year v2.0 with an unknown. Let him rip it good or bad, idgaf anymore.
Now is the time to do it, considering they'll likely be in prime position to get his replacement. Or draft him a top flight WR. Really hope they don't fuck this up this time.

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
TW: Mitch Trubisky flashbacks and Danny Parkins' voice.

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What is the point of this question? Do you think CCS is under the impression that The Bears are gathering around a campfire listening to ESPN1K trying to gain wisdom on how to be better?
Do you know what rhetorical questions are?

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nothing earth-shattering, but another person calling on the Bears to take the chains off and figure out what they have in Justin Fields.

This comes from former Bears receiver Tom Waddle in his show with Marc Silverman, where Waddle says the Bears need to give Fields repetition on what an actual NFL game's workload looks like for a professional quarterback. He says Fields will grow more the more you give him that in-game experience and let him make the throws. Not all will be good, but they'll all be learning experiences, he says.

From the clip:

"(The Jags) are allowing Trevor Lawrence to grow and experience the game. Yesterday, 25 of 30 for 235 yards, two touchdowns, zero interceptions. You're seeing progress from him. And it's coming from repetitions that occur on gameday."

Discussed quite a bit yesterday, but mostly in the 3 p.m. and 4 p.m. hours - ‎Waddle & Silvy on Apple Podcasts
Yep.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
They did let him, after the first drive that was heavy run and we scored the next 5 drives (one being the end of the half) was 9 pass plays called to 4 run plays called.
The problem is that he didnt play very well and we went 3 and out every time. The next 2 drives went back to heavy run and we scored once (should of been 2 times) and then the final drive he threw a pic and the game ended..

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
They did let him, after the first drive that was heavy run and we scored the next 5 drives (one being the end of the half) was 9 pass plays called to 4 run plays called.
The problem is that he didnt play very well and we went 3 and out every time. The next 2 drives went back to heavy run and we scored once (should of been 2 times) and then the final drive he threw a pic and the game ended..

The three and outs are not all on him. The entire offense stunk outside of Montgomery and Herbert. Penalty, drops, protection and him holding the ball.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Answering a question with a question....

:blank:
I obviously know what a rhetorical question is. Did you really want an answer for that? What’s the point of it? It’s like you’re brand new to message boards. Person posts something someone says they want to see the bears do. No one literally thinks the Bears are doing to read CCS or ESPN and a lightbulb is going to turn on.

Thank the lord you didn’t stick to your word and wait until week 4 to post. I wouldn’t have been able to contain my excitement for interactions like this.