Was Gase that good?

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
That and when we actually fucking run the ball. We have said this since year two of Cutler's tenure here and every year coaches tell us how this is a running team. Yet, we will pass it 7 straight times with 4 screens and 3 plays that take too long to develop.

Got to love that 3rd & 2 5 wide playcall. And the 4th & 1 7step drop. Brilliant.

Exhibit_A

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not seeing any kinda setup for other plays.....not one. They can't run. I think it starts with that. Bad move on Forte he should have retired a Bear. Got rid of a lot of production, For young midrounders winning right now might not be the plan. That would be the only reason we are this shitty. But that gets thrown out due to all the free agent signings. Gase has to be a genius compared to the hobbit. This is unreal.
We can run with Howard since Langford sucks donkey balls, but John Faux and co. are so dumb that they can't even see it.. they are pulling a tom thibs rookie bullshit on Howard.. that's the only reason I can think of to why he is hardly getting any playing time..

Madden

Liked Posts:
That and when we actually fucking run the ball. We have said this since year two of Cutler's tenure here and every year coaches tell us how this is a running team. Yet, we will pass it 7 straight times with 4 screens and 3 plays that take too long to develop.

Exactly. Fox came in implying we would rely on a 3 person running attack and Cutler would complement that. Instead it always comes down to us relying on Cutler with the stupidest play calling that plays to his weaknesses. Our OL isn't helping with that but still....stop relying on Cutler alone to win the game. He's not a good enough QB to overcome our other weaknesses. Get the ball out of his hands as soon as possible 90% of the time. The other 10% we can try to hit Alshon deep. I think Gase knew this. Otherwise a turnover is inevitable with him sitting back there staring at one WR for 5 seconds.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I agree, but then you have the 'incongruence' of the Robert Massie signing and the lack of any TE on the roster. Its hard to have a vertical passing game when your RT is a turnstile and Palsy Paulson is whiffing on every block. My biggest issue with the Bears is that everyone allowed that the roster Pace inherited was terrible, and he was given a clean slate, yet in only two years the Bears roster is a complete mishmash of parts and philosophies. I'm still not certain why you would base your OL personnel decisions on being a run-first zone blocking team, and at the same time have no NFL caliber HB, FB, or TE on the team.

Too fucking true.

Madden

Liked Posts:
Also Gase was able to make halftime adjustments to exploit our advantages. So far Loggains hasn't seemed to adjust anything at all. 0 points in the second half of both games is totally ridiculous and sad. I give Loggains some leeway because it's only his 2nd game as OC but he needs to start showing that he can adjust against the Cowboys.

Madden

Liked Posts:
I agree, but then you have the 'incongruence' of the Robert Massie signing and the lack of any TE on the roster. Its hard to have a vertical passing game when your RT is a turnstile and Palsy Paulson is whiffing on every block. My biggest issue with the Bears is that everyone allowed that the roster Pace inherited was terrible, and he was given a clean slate, yet in only two years the Bears roster is a complete mishmash of parts and philosophies. I'm still not certain why you would base your OL personnel decisions on being a run-first zone blocking team, and at the same time have no NFL caliber HB, FB, or TE on the team.

This is a good point and I think a main reason why we've failed so often after the Love era. Lovie had a specific vision of the players needed to run his D scheme effectively and we got really good players that also fit that scheme. In the Trestman era his O system worked best with a accurate QB who could make reads and get rid of the ball quickly, yet we tried using that with Cutler who was the polar opposite. From then on we haven't have a real identity as a team.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
What's missing? They did replace the second all time leading rusher who was also a duel threat with an unproven backup.

Forte did a lot. I know RBs don't age well and you want to cut them off before you get burnt, but still there's a sizable gap in where you were and where you are.