My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
???

Thought he was supposed to the CF of the future.

Franko725

Liked Posts:
Good lord Fisch, did you really have to throw ANOTHER hand grenade into this forum?

If this isn't the definition of troll bait, I really don't know what is...

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
[video=youtube;TTA2buWlNyM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTA2buWlNyM[/video]

Brett Jackson was rated higher than Anthony Rizzo?

Good times, good times.

Flacco4Prez

Liked Posts:
He failed. Like every other one of Jim Hendry's draft picks

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
For what it's worth, he's still only 25. I'm not saying he's going to turn his career around but most people hit the beginning of their peak years around 27. I honestly don't think he's really that much in their plans anymore with Almora and Soler as well as having a few log jams at positions which may necessitate OF moves(3B and SS notably). However, it would be nice if he could turn his career around in the next year and come up buying them some time to see if Almora is the real deal and if so give them a trade piece.

The faded star who hits age 27 and suddenly goes on a tear happens more than you would think. Alex Gordon is one name that comes to mind. If pressed I could probably come up with more.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
For what it's worth, he's still only 25. I'm not saying he's going to turn his career around but most people hit the beginning of their peak years around 27. I honestly don't think he's really that much in their plans anymore with Almora and Soler as well as having a few log jams at positions which may necessitate OF moves(3B and SS notably). However, it would be nice if he could turn his career around in the next year and come up buying them some time to see if Almora is the real deal and if so give them a trade piece.

The faded star who hits age 27 and suddenly goes on a tear happens more than you would think. Alex Gordon is one name that comes to mind. If pressed I could probably come up with more.

He has all the tools. He just has to make more contact unless that clicks. He will be where he is at. If he can fix it, the guy could be real good for awhile.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
He will get time in the majors with some team at some point, but the idea of him being an average starter has long since passed given his contact issues. But guys with a little pop, speed and can play defense have managed to find jobs on the end of major league benches for a long time.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
This is the definition of trolling.

Well really, it is a true statement. With the exception of Baez (looking good, but TBD), we have had a long string of failures, and player development has been a problem in this organization for decades. However, keep in mind that Wilken ran the draft, not Hendry, so it's hard to pin this on Hendry. Wouldn't say they all failed though, see Cashner pitching decently for Pads, Josh Donaldson (supplemental in 2007 I believe, remember how Vitters was untouchable? We could have landed something good if we weren't so stubborn, maybe 2009 would have given us another shot, but who knows), etc.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
If he's 25 and not in MLB or close to it, he's not a prospect.

I agree - pointing that he was picked by Hendry is trolling somewhat.

That's some of the great dispute/misunderstanding here. Many of us who feel the Cubs are taking the right approach are accused of believing this won;t ever happen to Theo's guys. But I know it very well can. And it will to some. Guys drop out of sight, and not just those picked by Hendry.

I have argued in favor of the approach the Cubs are taking because they are stockpiling quality prospects, not relying on that ONE Josh Vitters, or Kevin Orie, or Felix Pie. "Stars of the Future" won't always make it. I don't deny that or pretend it isn't true.

But their is strength in numbers, and having MANY talented prospects vs. a scarce few is what makes me more optimistic.

As for Jackson and Vitters? At this point, i expect nothing from them.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats

That's some of the great dispute/misunderstanding here. Many of us who feel the Cubs are taking the right approach are accused of believing this won;t ever happen to Theo's guys. But I know it very well can. And it will to some. Guys drop out of sight, and not just those picked by Hendry.

I have argued in favor of the approach the Cubs are taking because they are stockpiling quality prospects, not relying on that ONE Josh Vitters, or Kevin Orie, or Felix Pie. "Stars of the Future" won't always make it. I don't deny that or pretend it isn't true.

But their is strength in numbers, and having MANY talented prospects vs. a scarce few is what makes me more optimistic.

Exactly, this farm has pretty good depth of both upper level prospects and the C+ types of guys. Pitching still lacking, but improving nonetheless.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Stockpiles of talented hitting prospects is not something the Cubs have had a lot of in the past couple of decades.