What if the Bears hadn't gotten the 2024 1st rnd pick from Carolina?

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Say the Panthers offered the Bears the #9, DJ Moore and Brian Burns instead of the 2024 1st and the Bears bit.

If you are CAR's new GM, you have the #1 OA pick QB from 2023 coming off an awful season and you have the 2024 presumptive #1 OA, which was the presumptive 2023 #1 OA had he been available, CW staring you in the face.
What do you do?

Do you trade Young for a big discount?

Do you trade the #1 OA for a haul?

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Poles traded that far down and not gotten a single extra first round pick, I would be calling Ryan Poles a ****ing idiot every single day since that trade.

DJ Moore got them off the hook for it being three firsts, no combination of players is worth simply swapping firsts and tossing in a couple of day two picks.

Ryan Poles would be the laughing stock of the NFL right now.

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, I suspect there would have been way more firings this season.

DefNextYear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think you have no choice but to take a HAUL. How can you admit you were wrong within the year? Honestly, they may not even be sure they are wrong with Young. He just finished a single season which had a new HC who was fired during the season. That team was a mess. That said, if you're confident he's not the guy, I guess it's better to fold the hand now than stubbornly hold it.

Also, I don't know what Young's value is, but I want to believe he still will have a solid return. 1st round at minimum.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The Panthers would take Caleb Williams. The Bears would stick with Justin Fields, and try to add more offensive talent or an edge rusher at #9.

Instead, the Bears will likely pick Caleb Williams and trade Fields. Hopefully for at least a 2nd round pick.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
The question is more about a team choosing a hopeful franchise QBat #1 OA, only for him to have a poor first season and subsequently having an even better prospect there to choose with the next draft's #1 OA.

That would be some serious drama, maybe even more than Fields v. Williams.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
The question is more about a team choosing a hopeful franchise QBat #1 OA, only for him to have a poor first season and subsequently having an even better prospect there to choose with the next draft's #1 OA.

That would be some serious drama, maybe even more than Fields v. Williams.
I don't think they would move on from Young after 1 year. He did have at least one good game against a playoff team (Peckers). If it were me in that scenario I am trading down to #2 and taking MHJ.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
They would do something cardinals did and draft a qb. Bears would just continue to build around fields or most likely build the defense and keep a meh offense

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think they would move on from Young after 1 year. He did have at least one good game against a playoff team (Peckers). If it were me in that scenario I am trading down to #2 and taking MHJ.

Agreed. This came up at a party Saturday night and I backed Young. He did play better against Green Bay than any QB from Chicago against Packers except one huge game Trubisky had late in the season.

This is a guy that was truly thrown into a disastrous position, about the same as the Bears offensive tools in 2017. I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel for Carolina any time soon, but as they improve I'm sure Young will be fine, or better.

roadwarrior_joe

Liked Posts:
Agreed. This came up at a party Saturday night and I backed Young. He did play better against Green Bay than any QB from Chicago against Packers except one huge game Trubisky had late in the season.

This is a guy that was truly thrown into a disastrous position, about the same as the Bears offensive tools in 2017. I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel for Carolina any time soon, but as they improve I'm sure Young will be fine, or better.
I think Young is a much better QB than many people are giving him credit for.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Young is a much better QB than many people are giving him credit for.
Idk about that lol he looked mostly terrible. All I’m saying is they gave up quite bit to draft him so I doubt they’d move on afyer one year.

roadwarrior_joe

Liked Posts:
Idk about that lol he looked mostly terrible. All I’m saying is they gave up quite bit to draft him so I doubt they’d move on afyer one year.
Not after one year. And if I remember correctly didn’t the owner want Young?

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
You do whatever your goofball owner decided he wants to do that morning is probably the most realistic answer. Assuming Tepper has learned to stop meddling I think you trade Young and start over again with Williams, although thats a bit of a black eye when Williams also suffers from the lack of OL/weapons/coaching that probably doesnt get fixed YoY.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Say the Panthers offered the Bears the #9, DJ Moore and Brian Burns instead of the 2024 1st and the Bears bit.

If you are CAR's new GM, you have the #1 OA pick QB from 2023 coming off an awful season and you have the 2024 presumptive #1 OA, which was the presumptive 2023 #1 OA had he been available, CW staring you in the face.
What do you do?

Do you trade Young for a big discount?

Do you trade the #1 OA for a haul?
Would we have gone after Sweat, if we had Burns Already?