What we've learned from the first 3 Chicago Bears OTA sessions

Sammich

Liked Posts:
Trey Burton is up for throwing some passes

"Of course," he said with a smile when asked if he is lobbying to throw passes this season. "I'm hoping for 10-plus passes this year, that would be great."

Trey Burton found himself as part of pop culture earlier this year when he won a Super Bowl with the Philadelphia Eagles. The young tight end did not catch a touchdown pass in that game, rather he threw a touchdown pass. On play dubbed "The Philly Special" the current Chicago Bears tight end connected with quarterback Nick Foles in the end zone late in the game. The play saw running back Corey Clement receive the snap of the ball before he pitched it back to Burton. He then rolled to his right to find a wide-open Foles in the end zone.

Burton was joking a bit and his biggest impact this year will come as a pass-catcher in this offense as Chicago's No. 1 tight end.

Allen Robinson participated in his first practice

Allen Robinson is coming off an ACL injury he suffered last season with the Jacksonville Jaguars. The Bears have been easing him back into things and this week he was spotted participating in individual drills for the first time during OTAs. Head coach Matt Nagy said he did not expect Robinson to participate in team drills during mandatory minicamp next week but they still feel really good about where their No. 1 wideout is right now.

Vic Fangio has seen improvement from a pair of veterans

"I know you guys are all interested in the rookies, and understandably so, but I think some of the veterans have gotten better through this time too," Fangio said at his press conference. "Guys like Trevathan. You may ask why, well last year he didn't do any of this stuff. He didn't do any OTAs, he hardly did any training camp, didn't play in any preseason games and to me that set him back last year and he was injured the year before. This is the first time he's had a nice chunk of work. I see improvement with him.

"I see improvement with Bush. A couple of the other DBs, too."

It is pretty rare for defensive coordinator Vic Fangio to offer up unprompted praise of players. He surprisingly said he was impressed with Danny Trevathan and Deon Bush so far this offseason. Praise of Trevathan should not come as a surprise, he's been a captain before on this team and it was evident last year how important he was to the defense. Bush is someone who has been in Fangio's doghouse in the past, so that's a good sign for the third-year safety.

Roquan Smith is now a first-teamer

"Right now he's just trying to learn everything and he's doing well at that, working hard at it," Fangio said. "Right now he's got to earn his stripes. He had a good enough college career both on and off the field to get drafted where he was drafted, and now he's got to prove his worth here. But he's doing well."

Chicago's first-round pick back in April, Roquan Smith has had to earn his role on the Bears defense. Fangio has been impressed with what he has seen from the young linebacker and admitted after Wednesday's practice that Smith is starting to earn first-team reps with defense. He also noted the team has been rotating players in and out of the position but he seems fairly smitten with his new toy on defense.

James Daniels is still with the second-team

"Rookie James Daniels continues to get reps at guard with the No. 2 offense and at center with the 3’s," wrote NBC Sports Chicago's John Mullin.

This should not come as much of a surprise. The Bears noted they were going to take it slow with their rookies and they would not get promoted until they earned a spot up on the depth chart. Daniels, a center by trade, was moved to left guard after the team drafted him in the second round back in late April. He is likely still feeling out the position and getting a sense of how he fits along the offensive line. If he is still only playing with the second team late in training camp there will be some reason for concern.

Jordan Howard fits Matt Nagy's scheme

"He's proven he can do that," Nagy said about Howard being the bell-cow of an offense. "In this offense, I think it is more game specific as to whether or not you need that. You want to be able to have multidimensional backs, meaning maybe a guy who can run the football and maybe his strength is running and not a route-runner. Then you have a guy that is vice-versa... One of the things I believe in is trying to really hone in on what their weaknesses are and try to really work on that right now in the offseason. We all know he can run the football. He fits well in this offense."

Despite rumblings this offseason that Howard did not fit Nagy's scheme, the young head coach feels pretty confident with how Howard will fit into his system. He may not be a high-end pass-catcher, but that is what Tarik Cohen is for. Nagy knows Howard's strength is in the running game and he is going to take advantage of that.

ST coordinator Chris Tabor likes the new kickoff rules

"I think it's really good what the league did," special teams coordinator Chris Tabor said. "No. 1 player safety is first and foremost. The statistics speak highly of the concussions that take place on this play, but it's an exciting play. It sets field position and the game of football is about field position. I think the new parameters that were put in there are going to limit some of the high-speed collisions. At the same time, still have the dynamic part of the returners setting field position. Chances to score are still going to be there. I think it'll change a little bit but in some ways its still going to be the same."

The NFL changed the kickoff rule to where players are not allowed to get a running start on kick coverage. Additionally, rules changes have made kickoffs more like punt returns, giving blockers the opportunity to run down the field against the coverage team, helping to eliminate bigger hits with a player running into the opposition at full speed.

Vic Fangio thinks Aaron Lynch is in a good place

"He’s in a good spot emotionally, mentally," Fangio said in his presser. "He’s fired up, ready to go, ready to take advantage of his opportunity."

Fangio knows Aaron Lynch a little better than most. He served as the defensive coordinator in San Francisco during Lynch's rookie season in which he recorded 23 tackles, six sacks and four pass deflections. The following year he appeared in 14 games, recording 38 tackles, 6.5 sacks and three pass deflections. Over the course of the last two seasons he has seen action in just 14 games, recording 22 tackles and 2.5 sacks. Given the Bears lack of proven depth at the outside linebacker position, Lynch has a chance to take over a starting role in Chicago this season.

-Matt Eurich, 247 Sports

Dagman310

Liked Posts:
I'm interested in seeing how lynch works out. I think he will end up being a good signing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
I'm interested in seeing how lynch works out. I think he will end up being a good signing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
I think Lynch is an undervalued signing due to the fact he has always been able to bring pressure on QB's even though he does not have the sack numbers you would expect.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Lynch is an undervalued signing due to the fact he has always been able to bring pressure on QB's even though he does not have the sack numbers you would expect.

How often in that stretch did the 49ers play with a lead?

Similar issues to the Bears pass rushers for a few years....attrition, injuries, too many snaps, playing on your heals from behind. Lets get some leads and see if Fangio knows how to attack.