What's it going to take for the White Sox to become perennial WS Contenders?

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just plain and simple, what needs to be done for this team to be a contender year-in and year-out? I want to hear your opinions, thoughts, comments, etc.

No negativity, just your outlook on this subject matter.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
Better farm system for sure. If the farm can produce at least average talent or an average core of players then you only need free agency to fill the missing pieces.

Gunzaan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's baseball, with no salary cap. So either:

1) You are a mid-market team that spends top 12 money that has a decent farm system so you have some young talent mixed in with above average priced vets and most of your team have career years (PITCHING especially), especially in September/October.

Or

2) You are the Yankees, Red Sox (and recently the Phillies), who have owners that tell you to spend as much as you want and you buy as many superstars as you can to win.

In the past 10 years we have the Yankees (twice), Diamondbacks, Marlins, Angels, White Sox, Cardinals, Red Sox, Phillies, and Giants winning.

The Yankees (twice), Red Sox and Phillies represent #2. Giants, Cardinals, White Sox, Angels, Marlins and Diamondbacks represent #1.

AE23

from 68th
Donator
Liked Posts:
except for a few years when we had little power, weve been in it, the playoff hunt. A good farm system, some home grown arms, like Buerhle, Garland, and Richard were, but dont trade em. So minor league scouting, ill say. There is No reason that every Chicago team should not be in contention every year!

Last edited:

Montanaro

Liked Posts:
It's baseball, with no salary cap. So either:

1) You are a mid-market team that spends top 12 money that has a decent farm system so you have some young talent mixed in with above average priced vets and most of your team have career years (PITCHING especially), especially in September/October.

Or

2) You are the Yankees, Red Sox (and recently the Phillies), who have owners that tell you to spend as much as you want and you buy as many superstars as you can to win.

In the past 10 years we have the Yankees (twice), Diamondbacks, Marlins, Angels, White Sox, Cardinals, Red Sox, Phillies, and Giants winning.

The Yankees (twice), Red Sox and Phillies represent #2. Giants, Cardinals, White Sox, Angels, Marlins and Diamondbacks represent #1.

Just because some of those teams dont have huge budgets doesn't make them small/medium markets.

The attractiveness of the city helps make up for lack of funds.

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
except for a few years when we had little power, weve been in it, the playoff hunt. A good farm system, some home grown arms, like Buerhle, Garland, and Richard were, but dont trade em. So minor league scouting, ill say. There is No reason that every Chicago team should not be in contention every year!

I agree. The thing that frustrates me is that a big city like Chicago has had such little success in baseball. The Sox look like they're trying to fix that though. :woot:

BigP50

04-21-2012
Liked Posts:
Imo this is a team that could win the WS, on paper.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I think the answer is simple. A swap of say the pirates and the white sox. If the white sox got to play nl teams 90% of the time they would be playoff bound most years

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the answer is simple. A swap of say the pirates and the white sox. If the white sox got to play nl teams 90% of the time they would be playoff bound most years

You aren't kidding. But since that's not possible, building the farm and making free agent moves/trades to build up the roster is the best bet.

Gunzaan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You aren't kidding. But since that's not possible, building the farm and making free agent moves/trades to build up the roster is the best bet.

I completely agree with you but if that is the case then we are never going to achieve this goal because our farm system has always been a major weakness. The Sox tend to trade away most players who show potential in the minors.

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
I completely agree with you but if that is the case then we are never going to achieve this goal because our farm system has always been a major weakness. The Sox tend to trade away most players who show potential in the minors.

You are right.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it just seems that this team has been more inclined towards veterans the past years rather than building around young talent that can be drafted and brought up through the farm. I just don't see the point in trading young talent for a vet who's going to give you at best 2-3 years before he's washed up.

ChiSportsRich

Liked Posts:
You are right.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it just seems that this team has been more inclined towards veterans the past years rather than building around young talent that can be drafted and brought up through the farm. I just don't see the point in trading young talent for a vet who's going to give you at best 2-3 years before he's washed up.

I dont think Kenny likes to deal with the ups and downs of young players, like Beckham for instance. I think he likes the consistancy of veteran players, he knows what to expect from them.

AE23

from 68th
Donator
Liked Posts:
i think that after 05, thats been the culture, to trade the minor leaguers for established vets in an attempt to stay in contention. after we won in 05 KW said this team was built to compete for multiple championship, but then he goes and trades Rowand for Thome, made a trade for Vazquez, and we became bottom feeders and didnt get into the playoffs till 08. what i think got us to the WS, along with the Pitching, were the small moves, along with the established vets we had a ton of, bringing in Podsednik, "el Duque" pitched in, that bullpen: Neal Cotts, Cliff Politte never looked so good, and the emergence of Jenks. so, IMO, we need that mix of established vets, and the up and coming young guys, and role players, like a sandwich, lol.

Established Veterans
Role Players in the bench and bullpen
Young guys steppein up.