White Sox agree to terms with four-time All-Star Justin Morneau

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
We are better than I thought, and closer to what you think, I will concede you those wins Hawk.

But....we are unfortunately a 4th place team.

They can win the division that they are in, especially if Abreau gets going.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You of all people. The owner (the one you hate) refuses to do what's necessary and you go along with it. You must have loved Phil Emery....he did the exact same thing that Hahn is doing. Bring in a bunch of "back end of their career" stiffs and hope for a miracle. You want to be either very good or very bad...mediocrity in pro sports is a curse you can't over come. The Sox have been mediocre for 10 years.

What do you mean that I "go along" with Reinny's actions? Hahn is a very good GM and hasn't brought in a bunch of "stiffs". I am a realist and like what Hahn has done. I hated what Emery did and have my doubts about what Pace is doing. I am unhappy with Reinny and have been for a long long time both with the SOx and with the Bulls. He will not commit to build championship teams. You are right about that aspect of the Sox. But the team on the field is the best team in their division. It isn't great but it is good. The frustration is that one good left handed hitting bat can have the SOx running away with their division.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Come on Hawk! We as Sox fans go thru this process every stinking year with this club. How is it you're still scratching your head trying to figure out how a team with Sale and Quintana can be so bad? Are you seriously allowing yourself to be dazzled and suckered by the list of cheap, washed up has-beens the front office parades in and out of the roster? I suggest you start paying more attention to stat lines, and less to names or "pedigree".

I doesn't take a genius to look at Shield's homerun and walk rates: he has been putridly bad for a long time now. And Morneau is on the verge of retirement. He's not even remotely the same guy who won a batting title in Minnesota.
In regards to the current state of the team, here is why the Sox ARE a 3rd/4th place team: there are simply too many "replacement" type players in the starting lineup. We don't have enough everyday players on this team to contend. I think most of us understood this early run of winning was unsunstainable, and the current record reflects that.

I knew Frazier, Sale, Quintana, Eaton and Robertson would be good. I was hoping Abreu found his eye and plate discipline from his rookie season to be good again. After that, there is a severe dropoff in talent and skill. This is what happens when you depend on too many mediocre players to have career years in order to win. Regression towards the mean sets in, and the losing starts.

Lastly, teams initiate rebuilds in order to avoid wasting money on teams that aren't good enough to win within a reasonable timeframe. The Nationals, Astros and Cubs are examples of rebuilds that work when done correctly. The Sox would be better served by acknowledging that they're not a championship caliber team currently, and that they're not willing to spend significantly more money on payroll. Otherwise, you get the annual shit show we have at the Cell. The Bulls are stuck in this same stagnant existence for precisely the same reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good post. I do not agree with a lot of it but it is a good post. This team position by position is a good one, except for center field and catcher. THey are not cast offs. I also think more of James Shields than you do. He had one bad outing for SD and the Sox pretty much stole him from the Padres. What frustrates me is that I know that Hahn sees the same weaknesses that I do and can't get Reinny to open his wallet. THe same thing was and is true about the Bulls

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What do you mean that I "go along" with Reinny's actions? Hahn is a very good GM and hasn't brought in a bunch of "stiffs". I am a realist and like what Hahn has done. I hated what Emery did and have my doubts about what Pace is doing. I am unhappy with Reinny and have been for a long long time both with the SOx and with the Bulls. He will not commit to build championship teams. You are right about that aspect of the Sox. But the team on the field is the best team in their division. It isn't great but it is good. The frustration is that one good left handed hitting bat can have the SOx running away with their division.

Rollins, Latos, LaRoche and Shields all fit the description....but I'm not blaming Hahn. He's doing what he has to do, what Williams did as well. Patchwork....every year. This all reverts back to Reinsdorf.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Come on Hawk! We as Sox fans go thru this process every stinking year with this club. How is it you're still scratching your head trying to figure out how a team with Sale and Quintana can be so bad? Are you seriously allowing yourself to be dazzled and suckered by the list of cheap, washed up has-beens the front office parades in and out of the roster? I suggest you start paying more attention to stat lines, and less to names or "pedigree".

I doesn't take a genius to look at Shield's homerun and walk rates: he has been putridly bad for a long time now. And Morneau is on the verge of retirement. He's not even remotely the same guy who won a batting title in Minnesota.
In regards to the current state of the team, here is why the Sox ARE a 3rd/4th place team: there are simply too many "replacement" type players in the starting lineup. We don't have enough everyday players on this team to contend. I think most of us understood this early run of winning was unsunstainable, and the current record reflects that.

I knew Frazier, Sale, Quintana, Eaton and Robertson would be good. I was hoping Abreu found his eye and plate discipline from his rookie season to be good again. After that, there is a severe dropoff in talent and skill. This is what happens when you depend on too many mediocre players to have career years in order to win. Regression towards the mean sets in, and the losing starts.

Lastly, teams initiate rebuilds in order to avoid wasting money on teams that aren't good enough to win within a reasonable timeframe. The Nationals, Astros and Cubs are examples of rebuilds that work when done correctly. The Sox would be better served by acknowledging that they're not a championship caliber team currently, and that they're not willing to spend significantly more money on payroll. Otherwise, you get the annual shit show we have at the Cell. The Bulls are stuck in this same stagnant existence for precisely the same reasons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not exactly a coincidence, is it? There comes a point when the game passes you by....I believe Reinsdorf has reached that point.

Mr. Bates

Liked Posts:
Whatever. This team spends $120M plus on avg.

$ isn't the problem.

They draft and develop like shit and try to patchwork a team with vets which almost NEVER work out. There have been SOOOOOOO many vets that sucked in a Sox uniform, it's disgraceful.

Hahn is supposed to be some genius - he does the same shit.

Rollins... lol.

WTF?