Who returns punts next season?

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Dante Pettis did a fine job handling the majority of the team’s opportunities in 2022. He totaled 18 returns for 163 yards (9.1 AVG). Jones struggled mightily in the return game with a couple of costly fumbles early in the season. He returned just five punts for 35 yards.

Stevenson returned 12 punts for 133 yards (that’s an 11.1 yards/return average) in 32 games from 2020-22.

PrimeTime

Knowledge Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jones was SEC special teams player of the year. Averaged over 15 yards per punt return. Part of the reason the Bears drafted him was to return punts and kickoffs. I would hope a competent coaching staff would be able to get him over his rookie year yips.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
VJJ has been hitting the jugs all offseason. He's easily the best returner on the team if he can keep from making mistakes.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
VJJ returns both kicks and punts. He had muffs against left footed punters, that's why the Bears signed one in the offseason to show Jones that different look.

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
If Stevenson is the starting outside CB in week 1, I doubt the Bears would use him as a returner in order to save his body for the full time grind at CB, but I wouldn't rule it out entirely. Jones should get a good look in pre-season as the returner, but I don't think I'll ever be able to trust him again after the disaster that was last year with all those costly fumbles in critical situations.

My guess is that Pettis and Jones battle it out for the final roster spot in training camp. I don't see them keeping 7 WR's on the roster, and I don't see them cutting ESB because of his blocking ability.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I’d keep VJJ on KO only but the staff may think otherwise

msadows

Liked Posts:
If Stevenson is the starting outside CB in week 1, I doubt the Bears would use him as a returner in order to save his body for the full time grind at CB, but I wouldn't rule it out entirely. Jones should get a good look in pre-season as the returner, but I don't think I'll ever be able to trust him again after the disaster that was last year with all those costly fumbles in critical situations.

My guess is that Pettis and Jones battle it out for the final roster spot in training camp. I don't see them keeping 7 WR's on the roster, and I don't see them cutting ESB because of his blocking ability.

I wouldnt be shocked if they even keep just 5.

If Velus isn't returning punts, I don't know that he'll still be on the roster.

Basically. But I think he's getting the first shot at the 6th spot. If he doesnt look improved and more polished he gone.

Pettis seems like a backup plan if VJJ fails.

Who knows, could also be a surprise June1st vet cut somewhere that would fit as a KR.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Jones was SEC special teams player of the year. Averaged over 15 yards per punt return. Part of the reason the Bears drafted him was to return punts and kickoffs. I would hope a competent coaching staff would be able to get him over his rookie year yips.
So are we blaming coaches for him fumbling punts?

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Velus showed a little more as a receiver as the season went on. Not a lot, but at least something. I would bet they'll give him another shot at returning punts. They won't want to cut bait on a third rounder that Fields himself reportedly wanted after only one season where the whole team was a mess in many ways.

Last edited:

msadows

Liked Posts:
Velus showed a little more as a receiver as the season went on. Not a lot, but at least something. I would bet they'll give him another shot at returning punts. They won't want to cut bait on a third rounder that Fields himself reportedly wanted after only one season where the whole team was a mess in many ways.

Dont really care about him at WR anymore. It's clear he's at best a 1 trick pony(Deep balls ocassionaly). Tyler Scott basically was his replacement for the RPO/Sweep/Deep shot game.

I just don't like him at KR cause he's not reliable. He performed okay in his KR role later but his hands and ball security were terrible all year long. Dunno if you can depend on a guy like him to be a KR for a good team.

Zero2Cool

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Boston Red Sox
  2. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Green Bay Packers
  1. Pittsburgh Penguins
  1. Wisconsin Badgers
Anyone except Devin Hester, please.

Mooney is shifty, isn't he? If not him, probably that Pettis kid.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Dont really care about him at WR anymore. It's clear he's at best a 1 trick pony(Deep balls ocassionaly). Tyler Scott basically was his replacement for the RPO/Sweep/Deep shot game.
Maybe but you still want a guy who can play the position in a pinch.