Why Has The Defense Fallen Off So Badly?

Milton Waddams

Liked Posts:
One guy has a bum ankle, now this? I know he's a star, but what happened to the top-10 D from last year? They lost nobody of importance. Christian Jones is just a guy. Ditto for Unrein. Pernell McPhee was/is done.

SECONDARY - Same
LINEBACKERS - Was - Floyd/Trevathan/Jones/McPhee Is- Floyd/Trevathan/Smith/Mack
DEFENSIVE LINE - Was - Hicks/Goldman/Unrein Is- Hicks/Goldman/RRH

They're currently 12th in yards per game and 22nd in points per game. They're last in % of pressure applied to QB.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Low blitz percentage + offenses scheming extra blockers + offenses scheming shorter QB drop backs.

Mjiton

Liked Posts:
Bad tackling turning short gains into TDs sure isn't gonna help. But like the Buccs game amped Mitch's stats over a small sample size so does the last two for the defense.
Wait to see how Vic & the D adjust over the season.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Because the teams that have beaten us have adjusted to Fangio's gameplan. And he hasn't adjusted properly back.

Quick throws beat this defense. Green Bay did it in the 2nd half, the Dolphins did it in the 2nd half, and Brady did it all day long. If Darnold starts dinking and dunking and throwing slants and quick outs and shit, we're fucked.

BobInIndy

Liked Posts:
Because the teams that have beaten us have adjusted to Fangio's gameplan. And he hasn't adjusted properly back.

Quick throws beat this defense. Green Bay did it in the 2nd half, the Dolphins did it in the 2nd half, and Brady did it all day long. If Darnold starts dinking and dunking and throwing slants and quick outs and shit, we're fucked.

Just curious...how do you defend against quick throws?

me654

Liked Posts:
Bad tackling turning short gains into TDs sure isn't gonna help. But like the Buccs game amped Mitch's stats over a small sample size so does the last two for the defense.
Wait to see how Vic & the D adjust over the season.

The Buccs game? the offense has generated 28 pts or more over the last 3 games obviously showing improvement. not just a one game sample. Which should be plenty enough to win with a socalled "top defense"

the defense has obviously slid backwards.

Ill give them somewhat of a pass for giving up 24 pts against NE since the difference in the game was 14 ST pts given

me654

Liked Posts:
desperate to not give up the big play, the defense continues to give cushion at the line with no pressure at all. opposing QBs are killing them in the intermediate.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Before I say that Fangio is done, not having the 2nd best player in the league on defense healthy that last 2 games probably has a lot to do with it.

His loss has affected the entire defense as the Bears only have 1 sack over the last 2 games.

Lets see what happens over the next 3 games as the Bears play the Bills Jets and Lions.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Mack got injured and they decided to play a ton of soft zone and not send pressure.

Our LBs are not good in zone. They all take way too deep of drops and they have no awareness and then miss tackles.

Lets play some man defense already.

Washington

Liked Posts:
Last week I necro'd the thread that said our D was elite. I was thrown stats "proving" the D was still elite after the Miami game. I personally wasn't seeing it but stats don't lie right?

In another thread, it was considered taboo to question anything Fangio does and it was said he was the best we could get. God forbid someone thinks there are other DCs out there who could be better with the talent Fangio has been given.

It is time for this D to play to their talent level. It is time for them not to be huffing and puffing in the 4th qtr of games. I'd love to see Fangio adjust to the other team's adjustments in the 2nd half. How about our safeties actually take good angles and tackle. Amos is meh and Jackson is now living up to his college knocks. Maybe our $14m a year CB will learn to play man coverage and learn to turn when his back is to the ball. The issues I've seen are a combination of players needing to get better and coaches needing to coach better. This D should be elite by the current NFL standards.

BearDownZZ

Liked Posts:
I don't mind Vics idea of playing zone against Miami. We had a lead and we weren't getting pressure. I don't think you can blame Vic for his LB's and secondary missing tackles, though I do agree we play too far back in zone

Against the Patriots, I also don't mind. In the history of the NFL, there 2 QB's that destroy blitzing teams. Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. I think Nagy said it best. You can drop back against Brady. It's a game plan. But if you do it you have to be good at it. We were not being good at it.

I'm not saying this to defend Fangio. I think he could have done more. I think he needs to mix up pressure more often and I don't like bend don't break defense. But in this case, 95% of the problem is bad football play. If I had to pick on players it would be Floyd, Smith, Amos and Jackson being the worst in coverage and tackling.

If you want to watch something that makes you sick. Watch Floyd and Smith on the first 5 plays of the game if you have all 22. This wasn't Brady. This was an offensive game plan and running plays that exploited weak players. Just terrible football.

me654

Liked Posts:
If this is what our defense looks like with an injured Mack, imagine if the Bears couldnt pick him up!

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Mack got injured and they decided to play a ton of soft zone and not send pressure.

Our LBs are not good in zone. They all take way too deep of drops and they have no awareness and then miss tackles.

Lets play some man defense already.

In general it does need to be more press coverage, and I agree that Mack is no use to us if he is only going to be dropped into coverage or used as a decoy. Let him sit this week and maybe even next to heal in preparation for a division game against the Lions.

Lynch has shown some flashes, Nichols has shown some ability also, and it might be time to line him up along side Hicks and let Bullard and RRH rotate frequently to keep fresh legs in the game. We have been hurt later in the game because Hicks, Mack, Floyd and Bullard are gassed.

Oh yeah, maybe the reason we have not seen much from Goldman is because he is the only NT listed on the depth chart. I know we play a lot of hybrid (4-3 look), but when we play a 3-4 or we are trying to stop the run, we need a NT to rotate. We have none..

Crazy idea... Since Coward can not seem to break into the starting RT position, how about since he was a DT, see if they can rotate him with Goldman...flame away, but we need to get creative if Mack is going to sit.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Last week I necro'd the thread that said our D was elite. I was thrown stats "proving" the D was still elite after the Miami game. I personally wasn't seeing it but stats don't lie right?

In another thread, it was considered taboo to question anything Fangio does and it was said he was the best we could get. God forbid someone thinks there are other DCs out there who could be better with the talent Fangio has been given.

It is time for this D to play to their talent level. It is time for them not to be huffing and puffing in the 4th qtr of games. I'd love to see Fangio adjust to the other team's adjustments in the 2nd half. How about our safeties actually take good angles and tackle. Amos is meh and Jackson is now living up to his college knocks. Maybe our $14m a year CB will learn to play man coverage and learn to turn when his back is to the ball. The issues I've seen are a combination of players needing to get better and coaches needing to coach better. This D should be elite by the current NFL standards.

you were right! You. Were. Right.

PickSix

Liked Posts:

Blasphemy. You are the Cubs board enough to know that sports stats don’t lie. The hell with what you have been seeing. It’s all a figment of your imagination.