Why is Pace/Ted/George so against revealing when contracts expire?

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
If you've been listening to the press conference multiple reporters asked when Pace and Nagy's contracts expire and each time they've been reluctant to answer...

jts1207

Liked Posts:
Lifetime contract for pace,.....GM to President transition

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Because there was a rumor pace got an extension in 2018 but was never confirmed but it was only to make Naggy and pace contracts expire in same year

Liked Posts:
I thought this was public knowledge, doesn’t Nagy’s end after this year and Pace re-signed a new deal in 2018 thru end of 2021?

KennyH

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

Because when it comes to the draft and you're negotiating with other teams you don't want the other teams to know you are fighting for your job - because they can then hold you to ransom.

A bit like why he gave up a pick in the Foles trade - they knew Nagy/Pace were desperately scrambling to save their jobs.

It'll be even worse this year!!

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Both will be returning without extensions. Pace is lame duck status with a deal that runs through 2021, while Nagy is signed through 2022 after agreeing to a five-year deal in 2018. McCaskey singled out quarterback play as an area the team "needs better production from to be successful." Chicago backing into the playoffs bought the Bears' current power structure another year to turn things around. Pace and Nagy will be on the spot again in 2021.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
They're totally getting extended. Letting Pace draft another QB only to fire him if they dont perform? I dont think so. 3 more years of Pace. My nightmare.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Because admitting that this year is very likely the last year of their careers on the Bears would be telling the truth, and nobody holds a press conference anymore to tell the truth.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
they aren’t going to put anything out there that could potentially hinder their ability to bring in a DC or FAs. They will discuss those things with those people outside the media.

That’s how things are done by every team.

zabavka

The owls are not what they seem...
Liked Posts:
Not talking about the contracts does nothing.

Players, coaches, football people are smart enough to know this team is not a team you want to play for, coach with or be a part of.

Only the morons running the show think they have a competitive advantage by not talking about it.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Not talking about the contracts does nothing.

Players, coaches, football people are smart enough to know this team is not a team you want to play for, coach with or be a part of.

Only the morons running the show think they have a competitive advantage by not talking about it.
And if that’s the case, they will all be fired after next season. But if you expect them to not to at least try to have every advantage possible...I just don’t know what to say to that.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
Because when it comes to the draft and you're negotiating with other teams you don't want the other teams to know you are fighting for your job - because they can then hold you to ransom.

A bit like why he gave up a pick in the Foles trade - they knew Nagy/Pace were desperately scrambling to save their jobs.

that would be easier to swallow if not for technology...In this day and age anyone with a internet connection can see that nagy was signed to a 5yr deal and pace a 4 yr deal. There is something more going on, maybe they didnt want to disclose because they didnt want to answer that money is a factor when moving on from these losers..

KennyH

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
that would be easier to swallow if not for technology...In this day and age anyone with a internet connection can see that nagy was signed to a 5yr deal and pace a 4 yr deal. There is something more going on, maybe they didnt want to disclose because they didnt want to answer that money is a factor when moving on from these losers..

Maybe, maybe not. But I guess then the journo's could just have said according to the internet you have x years left and he has y, but they all seemed to have a very clear interest/desire to nail down the specifics?

I initially thought it was a dumb question to ask as it's always seemed that it was info that was available but guess it might not be??

roadwarrior_joe

Liked Posts:

This sounds like a very valid point, but somehow I can't see this type of deep stratgey being something the McCaskey's have.