Why wasn't Sandberg hired?

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
I don't get it. I didn't like the Sveum hire at the time and he seems to be making boneheaded decisions as manager, can anyone explain why Ryno wasn't given the shot? I understand his lack of MLB experience as a manager and coach, but I think Epstein and company would have realized Cub fans would have been ALOT more leanient for the team to rebuild if they had one of their own coaching, someone who obviously cares a lot about the team.

Thoughts?

Willrust

Liked Posts:
Short answer, Theo wanted his guy.

I would have liked Sandberg as manager. He would have been a nice transition to a young team given his experience coaching the minor leaguers. The biggest irritation was that Theo & Hoyer didn't even offer to interview Sandberg.

Based upon speculation he will likely get his chance in 2014, and I wish him all the best.

Flacco4Prez

Liked Posts:
Yes, Theo and Jed wanted their guy but also they knew things were going to be ugly for a couple of seasons. It could have been ugly when Sandberg was/if fired

AmericanFlyer1

Liked Posts:
I don't get it. I didn't like the Sveum hire at the time and he seems to be making boneheaded decisions as manager, can anyone explain why Ryno wasn't given the shot? I understand his lack of MLB experience as a manager and coach, but I think Epstein and company would have realized Cub fans would have been ALOT more leanient for the team to rebuild if they had one of their own coaching, someone who obviously cares a lot about the team.

Thoughts?

Could be that Sandberg wanted to win and start winning now. That's a philosophy not consistent with current management.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
He was a bigger candidate when Hendry chose Mike Quade

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Why hire a guy your franchise loves when you know they're going to boo him at every chance they get, given the product on the field?

(Actually, I may have just talked myself into a reason for hiring him. Heat's off of the front office, it's Ryno's fault! :hitler: )

Willrust

Liked Posts:
Yeah, and Quade was a terrible choice for Cubs manager. I thought if Sandberg was going to get hired, it would be when Mike Quade was the other top candidate.

Remember Sandberg's wife's corn cob dress? Pretty awesome.

ryne-cindy_sandberg.jpg

Nope, but I remember Rafael Palmiero's spunk all over Ryne Sandberg's wife!:notfunny:

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
2 Reasons.

1 Theo had the call.

2 You don't come in and hire a former great of the team as the manager in a bad situation. Nothing good can come from it. And when he is fired it tarnishes everything.