Wilbur Marshall was an animal.

mecha

Liked Posts:
inb4 "DERP UR A MEATBALL!!!!111"

Washington

Liked Posts:
Absolutely loved Wilbur. Crazy to think of that LB core that had Al Harris holding out in the SB year. The Bears took advantage of the new free agent rules getting 2 #1s for Wilbur but the team went downhill quickly and has been mired into a shit hole since save for a couple of years under Lovie.

Jimmy Mac was just an average thrower but he read defenses so well and was a real leader. Just a shame he could never stay healthy or I believe they win the SB in the '86 season too when they went 14-2 with Vince Tobin.

Last edited:

UChiLAbear

My Happy Place
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
Loved Wilbur Marshall.....2 SBs.....too bad only 1 with Da Bears....

UChiLAbear

My Happy Place
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
Absolutely loved Wilbur. Crazy to think of that LB core that had Al Harris holding out in the SB year. The Bears took advantage of the new free agent rules getting 2 #1s for Wilbur but the team went downhill quickly and has been mired into a shit hole since save for a couple of years under Lovie.

Jimmy Mac was just an average thrower but he read defenses so well and was a real leader. Just a shame he could never stay healthy or I believe they win the SB in the '86 season too when they went 14-2 with Vince Tobin.
Too bad both of those No. 1s had career ending injuries....but were good when they played.......Davis and Muster......Davis is the only player I know who 'blew-out' BOTH knees on the same play! The astro turf on Philly's Veteran's Stadium.

Editing this post.....just remembered Davis & Muster were the 1st Rds picks in '88, Davis being from the Wash. pick...in '89 they drafted Trace Armstrong w/Wash's pick......you know....the guy Wanny traded when he got here because Trace didn't have the speed, but became an All-Pro and led the league in sacks at least once but was always near the top. Doesn't matter...I hated Wanny from the first game he coached....he single handedly lost that game to the Giants. Definitely not a game tactician. imo

Last edited:

UChiLAbear

My Happy Place
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
One of my favorite Bears of all time.

And Jimmy Mac was the ugliest great QB of all time. Just a average talent guy that was a pure winner, weird fuck, but a winner through and through.

Sweet memories.......remember every one of those plays as if it were yesterday......the TD to Gault was the 'nail in the coffin' for the Rams, although it was somewhere mid 3rd quarter. Da Bears 'D' was NOT going to give up 3 TDs with roughly a quarter and a half left in the game.

Forty-six

Liked Posts:
That team was STACKED with talent at every position on both sides of the ball. It's remarkable how much talent that team had, especially since then the Bears have had one of the least talented rosters in the NFL for most of the years since the early 90's.

What is the key difference in the front office from the 1980's Bears (who did an unbelievable job of drafting) and the front office of the past 20 ish years (who have struggled mightily with the draft)?

UChiLAbear

My Happy Place
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
That team was STACKED with talent at every position on both sides of the ball. It's remarkable how much talent that team had, especially since then the Bears have had one of the least talented rosters in the NFL for most of the years since the early 90's.

What is the key difference in the front office from the 1980's Bears (who did an unbelievable job of drafting) and the front office of the past 20 ish years (who have struggled mightily with the draft)?
Bill Tobin...enough said...either you know or you don't (not you personally, but general 2nd tense plural use)...whom the McCaskeys' thought wasn't good enough........Lord was I angry over that decision.

Washington

Liked Posts:
Bill Tobin...enough said...either you know or you don't (not you personally, but general 2nd tense plural use)...whom the McCaskeys' thought wasn't good enough........Lord was I angry over that decision.
Jim Finks was responsible for the '83 draft which included Dent, Covert, Richardson, Duerson, Thayer, Gault and Bortz. He drafted McMahon in '82 I believe. Jerry Vainisi drafted a small portion of that team too including Marshall and Butler. He also had some great pics when he went to Detroit including Spellman and Barry Sanders.

Last edited:

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Never looked right seeing him in that Washington uniform.

UChiLAbear

My Happy Place
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
Jim Finks was responsible for the '83 draft which included Dent, Covert, Richardson, Duerson, Thayer, Gault and Bortz. He drafted McMahon in '82 I believe. Jerry Vainisi drafted a small portion of that team too including Marshall and Butler. He also had some great pics when he went to Detroit including Spellman and Barry Sanders.
Agreed....I believe that was his last draft with da Bears...however, I believe the question was ......WHEN did the demise start in the drafting process? Finks was gone after '83 ( not 100% sure )..then Vanisi and Tobin were promoted..and after the SB the present owners decided they had a 'better way' of building a football team. Which we now know was disastrous for this franchise. But yes, w/o a doubt Finks was "The Man."