Will Kyle Long be a Bear next year?

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
His guaranteed money is up after this year and will be thirty years old at this point I don't know if he's much better than Eric Kush. James Daniels should take his spot next year and Bears will probably draft another guard.

Long is set to make 7 million in 2019 & 8 million in 2020.

LG: Eric Kush/Rookie
C: Cody Whitehair
RG: James Daniels
For 7 & 8 mil, I'd keep him. He's playing every game. He's not losing you games.

He might be overpaid, but sometimes you don't want to make a problem. If a young developing player (draft or UDFA) can do a better job, let it happen that way, rather than have to fish for a FA.

Maybe Long plays a few more years and then takes a contract as a backup, where he doesn't have to play every down every game.

I don't know that Kush is better than Long. But once Daniels shows he can start every game, maybe we try Kush and Long slitting games, if you get better performances out of both that way. But again, doing that only towards the goal of replacing Long and Kush with rookie/UDFA contract guys.

I'd like to see Coward split games with Massie, but if Coward is ready, wouldn't mind seeing him play G too.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
You hated him well before this year so however badly he plays this year is not the reason for the hatred.

It doesn´t matter to me. I think he is kind of a goofball who gets in too many fights. He is far from being a pro-bowler. The problem I see is that it has become expensive getting any lineman. Are the Bears going to pay more for Long´s replacement who has less ability than Long?

I hated him ever since the Bears gave him RT money, then watched him epicly fail at RT. He's been injured ever since.

I don't understand how i'm seemingly the only one that had that tipping point... I guess i'll never understand.

CaptnSUG

BANNED
Liked Posts:
They should not have moved him to RT.

Dick Jauron

2001 AP Coach of the Year
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why is there always a Long hater?

TishLover

Liked Posts:
Kyle Long getting off Twitter was really good idea.
I like him as a player but his twitter was annoying (stopped following him)

I can only imagine lot of his haters are due to his Twitter.

pfcmsh

Liked Posts:
I hated him ever since the Bears gave him RT money, then watched him epicly fail at RT. He's been injured ever since.

I don't understand how i'm seemingly the only one that had that tipping point... I guess i'll never understand.

He was good early, but he hasn't been a standout player for a long time. I am for trading him after the season, if we can get anything, or cutting him and moving on to someone younger. He has made his money and is no longer effective. Let us move on to someone that is.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
You know your a good lineman when we don’t hear much about you

K long does his job well

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

especially since he was overrated as hell as a guard

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
I don't see Long being on the roster next year just because it's not Pace's MO to keep interior OL once they hit their 30s. Plus, it's the 1st time it makes sense to cut Long with some cap savings when the salary cap situation for the Bears is dicey.

Kyle does not possess the same explosiveness he once did. He looks quite slow to me actually.

Only way I think Pace entertains the idea that Long remains on the roster is if he takes a pay cut. Small chance the Bears give Long a 2 year extension to defer some cap money more into the future.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Cutting Long this off-season will not cost the Bears 5m next season.

And yes OP, he's as good as gone.

Bears will net +5.5 million in cap space if they cut Long so I'm not sure where Windy is getting his numbers from.

I want to say if they wait until after June 1st, the dead money for Long will only be 1.5 million so the Bears can potentially net 7 million in cap.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
He was drafted to try to neutralize suh... who has left the division