Will this loss have a lasting impact on the rest of the season mentally?

Toast88

Liked Posts:
You guys all saw the same game I did.

Lots to be excited about, but it's also hard to be excited after what we saw in the second half.

A lot of playmakers, but still a long way to go for this team.

They came out full of piss and vinegar, ready to show the world, "These are the new-look Chicago Bears, and we won't be denied!" Every defender was beasting and you could tell *really wanted* every. single. play. The offense was rolling nearly at will, looking exciting and fun and new.

And then the second half happened. The defense got gassed. The offense played scared. Bears lose.

So, which road will this young Bears team take now?:

1) We lost by one point in Lambeau in a game we were favored to lose by more than a touchdown. Yes, we're disappointed we didn't win, but at the end of the day, we showed we're a new team, and we're talented enough to potentially win a lot of games. And we're excited to get back on the field and show everyone that the first-half team is who we really are. We're going to win games, dammit.

2) Damn, man. We played like All-Pros and we *still* couldn't win. We had a 20-point lead and we *still* couldn't win. If we can't win when literally everything is going our way, when can we? This feels like pushing a goddamn mountain! I was soooo excited to start the season and show everyone who we are and what we've been working on! But now, to be honest, I'm embarrassed. This hurts a lot. I'll be thinking about this loss all season. How could this have happened? I really hope we find a way to win some games.

Either is absolutely possible, and I'd like if we can necro this thread after the season. I could see the Bears rebounding with a win next week because they're pissed off and aren't going to let another game get away from them. I could also see them just being mentally demoralized and that showing up on the field.

I tend to think, and hope, that this is just one game. It feels bigger in the moment, but if you win the next few games and beat the Packers in Soldier Field, that's exactly what it'll be---a speedbump, not a chasm. And that's not impossible. Even mediocre teams have found ways to beat the Packers.

It's easy to feel like the Bears are never going to beat the Packers again, that Rodgers will just find a way no matter what. It's easy to be pissed---Hell, I'm pissed! But I do think, and hope, this team will get better and win some damn games. Life does go on, and in the end, I don't think this game will define the Matt Nagy era.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
It was eerily reminiscent of the Falcons Super Bowl loss. The greatest QBs of their era can do this to teams. The thing that stuck with me is both Shanahan and Nagy had a chance to ice the game with the running game and opted instead to get cute with the pass at the wrong time. Unlike Brady, Rodgers still gift wrapped the chance to end the improbable comeback and Fuller wasn’t up to the moment.

3rd and 1 with the ability to ice the game with a first down, that’s two running plays if necessary. I’m not kicking that field goal.

bearsfootball516

Liked Posts:
It was eerily reminiscent of the Falcons Super Bowl loss. The greatest QBs of their era can do this to teams. The thing that stuck with me is both Shanahan and Nagy had a chance to ice the game with the running game and opted instead to get cute with the pass at the wrong time. Unlike Brady, Rodgers still gift wrapped the chance to end the improbable comeback and Fuller wasn’t up to the moment.

3rd and 1 with the ability to ice the game with a first down, that’s two running plays if necessary. I’m not kicking that field goal.

There was a 3rd and 1 in the 4th quarter where Nagy called some weird play action dump off to Dion Sims that went for no gain. I wanted to pull my hair out.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
There was a 3rd and 1 in the 4th quarter where Nagy called some weird play action dump off to Dion Sims that went for no gain. I wanted to pull my hair out.

The play design was pretty cool but Sims didn’t get the proper depth. I was pissed too but because Sims was the target.

A.C. Milan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I think i would have kicked the FG because if somehow the defense stops the Packers and they kick the FG there is not a single chance in the world that we win the OT in Lambeau, but sure as hell 3&1 there you run, i don't know how professional coaches can do such errors

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I dont think so. This was a horrible loss but at the same time it can be a good learning experience for a young team and coach.

Some things are glaring tho and if ignored ill be concered.

Whitehair sucks at snapping the ball. Its a serious issue and throws the timing of plays off. Especially when youre in a silent count.

Roquan needs to start.

Last edited:

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If they stick with Trubisky and he can't run the whole offense then yes, they are done this season. Start Daniel and watch this team make the playoffs. The pieces are in place to win now but Mitch can't deliver.

WestsideResider

Bro idk
Liked Posts:
Nowhere to go from here but up. Unless we get blown out by Seattle then in that case just scrap the season because we suck anyway.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
meh, everything about this game is correctable. there is a lot to be excited about and should overall be a positive.

Except one thing... trubs fell apart. that is the scary shit from this game. if trubs sucks, everything is fucked.

Monster

Liked Posts:
meh, everything about this game is correctable. there is a lot to be excited about and should overall be a positive.

Except one thing... trubs fell apart. that is the scary shit from this game. if trubs sucks, everything is fucked.

This...

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Yeah he did but at the sime time there were flashes. To be fair the whole offense fell apart once the 12th man got involved and they had to go silent. Bad snaps, lining up wrong, bad o line play, and Trubs shitting himself.

pfcmsh

Liked Posts:
You guys all saw the same game I did.

Lots to be excited about, but it's also hard to be excited after what we saw in the second half.

A lot of playmakers, but still a long way to go for this team.

They came out full of piss and vinegar, ready to show the world, "These are the new-look Chicago Bears, and we won't be denied!" Every defender was beasting and you could tell *really wanted* every. single. play. The offense was rolling nearly at will, looking exciting and fun and new.

And then the second half happened. The defense got gassed. The offense played scared. Bears lose.

So, which road will this young Bears team take now?:

1) We lost by one point in Lambeau in a game we were favored to lose by more than a touchdown. Yes, we're disappointed we didn't win, but at the end of the day, we showed we're a new team, and we're talented enough to potentially win a lot of games. And we're excited to get back on the field and show everyone that the first-half team is who we really are. We're going to win games, dammit.

2) Damn, man. We played like All-Pros and we *still* couldn't win. We had a 20-point lead and we *still* couldn't win. If we can't win when literally everything is going our way, when can we? This feels like pushing a goddamn mountain! I was soooo excited to start the season and show everyone who we are and what we've been working on! But now, to be honest, I'm embarrassed. This hurts a lot. I'll be thinking about this loss all season. How could this have happened? I really hope we find a way to win some games.

Either is absolutely possible, and I'd like if we can necro this thread after the season. I could see the Bears rebounding with a win next week because they're pissed off and aren't going to let another game get away from them. I could also see them just being mentally demoralized and that showing up on the field.

I tend to think, and hope, that this is just one game. It feels bigger in the moment, but if you win the next few games and beat the Packers in Soldier Field, that's exactly what it'll be---a speedbump, not a chasm. And that's not impossible. Even mediocre teams have found ways to beat the Packers.

It's easy to feel like the Bears are never going to beat the Packers again, that Rodgers will just find a way no matter what. It's easy to be pissed---Hell, I'm pissed! But I do think, and hope, this team will get better and win some damn games. Life does go on, and in the end, I don't think this game will define the Matt Nagy era.

There are ups and downs in every day life, both personally and professionally. Character is built when you endure tough times. There is no character built, when everything goes your way 100% of the time. We lost the game and I do not like it any more than the rest of you. It hurts, but we built confidence in the first half. It is obvious the Bears are much improved over last year and under Ryan Pace. They were ready to play this game. They just were not ready to finish it. That falls on the coaches. That will come. You have to learn to win in the NFL. I think this loss falls on the coaches more than the players.

Not everything goes the way we want it all the time. It is how we respond to adversity that makes us resilient and better as we go on. I think the Bears learned something last night. We are a much improved team. The first half clearly showed that. Now, let's get ready to complete a game against Seattle.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

That's correct but Nagy has to show that he'll play to win instead of playing too conservative and being cute on short distance plays. He also needs to adjust quicker. Brilliant move in setting up a deep pass play with all of his short passes but then he never called any downfield shots when they basically had all 11 defenders close to the LOS.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
There were no slants called, nothing. Trubisky could of played better but Nagy did not help him at all. The receivers we have are capable of winning on slant plays and I do not think one slant play was called. I don't remember one slant.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If this has a lasting negative impact on the Bears then Pace has put together the wrong team. Adversity doesn't change character, it reveals it and every one of those guys better take a hard look in the mirror and figure out who they are. Nagy and Trubs especially.

Escobar's Army

Liked Posts:
If this has a lasting negative impact on the Bears then Pace has put together the wrong team. Adversity doesn't change character, it reveals it and every one of those guys better take a hard look in the mirror and figure out who they are. Nagy and Trubs especially.

It will hopefully last that we need to go for the jugular instead of conservative play. Outside of that it won't matter much.

CAP BOSO

Liked Posts:
This is true. I'm not sure what head coaches think, but I see this around the league all the time. No way am I giving Rodgers the ball back down 6 after he has been shredding our D up. Either ice the game by getting one yard with two plays or give him the ball back down a FG and hope the D can make a play or hold them to a FG.

I see this and coaches punting with 5 minutes left in the game down 2 scores on 4th and 5. WTF! Does it matter if you lose by 7 or 40? You play to win the games!!!!