Williams gets the nod at LG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adog06

Liked Posts:
Not sure if anyone has posted this but it seems official. According to the Tribune, Chris Williams will start at Left Guard. What do you guys think?

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Look at all the combine reports and scout reports from him before the draft. The thing you constantly see is saying how he could, maybe SHOULD play guard early in his career. He doesn't have arm length or a aggressive punch to be a good LT nor does he have the speed to stop speed rushers like Wimbley.

NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - Chris Williams

He probably should of been there last season over Omiyale instead of playing RT where he wasn't fit to handle nor had ever been a starter at.

Why JA should be fired based on this is not right. JA should be fired but not because of Chris Williams nor should Williams be given up on (Coloumbo 2?) To the whole most teams took him off their draft board, it turned out it was 3 teams. That isn't a whole lot and shows that 29 teams still had him in their sights.

Adog06

Liked Posts:
i was saying they should have done this when he went down in Dallas. I figured this is a good move because hes big, has good feet, and can use his short arms for the interior. I think he could be a stud in the interior of the offensive line.

Derkach77

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Great news just stay healthy Chris.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Why JA should be fired based on this is not right. JA should be fired but not because of Chris Williams nor should Williams be given up on (Coloumbo 2?) To the whole most teams took him off their draft board, it turned out it was 3 teams. That isn't a whole lot and shows that 29 teams still had him in their sights.
I don't mean to suggest that this is the reason why JA should be fired. This is just one of the many reasons.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is just an awful decision. He wasn't playing well at LT, but he's a way better option than Omiyale

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I don't mean to suggest that this is the reason why JA should be fired. This is just one of the many reasons.

Agreed. JA should be fired just for the offensive offensive line he has put together alone. Coupled with botched draft picks..the entire 2007 draft just about being a waste. I'm sure we could go on and on.

suntannedmonk

Liked Posts:
good to see CW back, but I hate that JA is still around and cant wait to see him fired

Lefty

Liked Posts:
So wait a minute, Williams was drafted as a tackle, he has trained as a tackle, practiced as a tackle and played as a tackle, but now he's going to be a guard, a position he has probably practiced at very sparingly, if at all? I understand that what he's good at probably lends itself better to dealing with bigger but slower DT's, but just plopping him at guard 4 games into the season hardly seems like a good idea, and stinks of desperation to find any place where Williams isn't complete garbage and thus another garbage high-end draft pick. Also, see Beekman, Josh and Omiyale, Frank for reasons why just arbitrarily moving guys around the line in the NFL probably isn't going to work out like one hopes. This could get real funny real fast.

JJ-28

Liked Posts:

How dare you say you that JA should be Fired. I want you to right now he is the brains behind this operation. Oh, ok I how see what you mean Fire the bum.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
It's where he should of been from the start of his career, the player isn't ready or good enough to be a LT.

This is far from the first time a player has been drafted outside but able to be a solid or great player inside. Heck even who some call a top 3 NFL bust by the Packers in Tony Mandarich became a very good guard because his speed sucked at a LT and he admitted recently to being roided up throughout college.

I heard many a smart Bears fans last year calling for it instead of the RT move. Some players like, one just found out to have getting paid money in college, Johnathan Ogden started his career at LG before he was experienced at LT.

I don't see this at all as a desperation move, they know he is stout and has played there in college good and right now can't handle speed rushing. Omiyale hasn't been good but he at least is able to push those speed rushers aside with his length and to be honest Garza playing hurt and out of position and just being older now wasn't helping anyone on this line.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Read a story on the Trib by Dan Pompei that basically said this move has been made because it causes the least amount of movement on the OLine. Instead of putting Williams at LT and moving Omiyale back to LG, just put Williams at LG. In that way, it makes sense.

We'll see if it actually works though. The Seattle run D is pretty damn good.

Status
Not open for further replies.