Would Mike Young have anything left in the tank for the Cubs in 2014?

Liked Posts:
Some of you might remember me from CBS and know that Young has been on my wish list for the Cubs the last two years to help teach the young guys about the fundamentals of hitting.

Now, Young is about to be a free agent, and I still want him as our opening day 3rd baseman.

However, his batting average with the Phillies has sagged as the season has progressed, leading many to believe this could be the end of the end for him. He still has walked at a decent rate this year, and while his 3.85 SLG isn't anything to write home about, but it's still better than anyone currently in our infield sans Rizzo. And let's face it, Mike Olt is clearly not ready for the big leagues.

Thoughts?

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
His OPB is still in the .330's. I think he'd be fine but I don't think the price will be right. He'd have to come pretty cheap and short contract seeing as Bryant and Baez both are likely to be up by midseason.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I've though about it. Maybe. But I would rather have them have Olt and Vitters battle it out in S/T. I expect in July Baez will be ready and soon after Bryant.

So in view of this I'm not sure of the resale value of Young at his age and I question blocking Olt's shot at adjustment before Baez and Bryant r]are up. It is a small window and I expect them to see if Olt can adjust to MLB play. He is still a top 100 talents so it calls for a opportunity. Vitters had his shot but it was his lack of D that kept his chance to a min.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
I've though about it. Maybe. But I would rather have them have Olt and Vitters battle it out in S/T. I expect in July Baez will be ready and soon after Bryant.

So in view of this I'm not sure of the resale value of Young at his age and I question blocking Olt's shot at adjustment before Baez and Bryant r]are up. It is a small window and I expect them to see if Olt can adjust to MLB play. He is still a top 100 talents so it calls for a opportunity. Vitters had his shot but it was his lack of D that kept his chance to a min.

Olt isn't hitting AAA pitching and I would venture to say that he won't hit major league pitching either. He should be putting up good numbers either in average, power or something and he is not.

There are too many guys behind him that are proving themselves worthy and are adjusting to their flaws. Olt isn't and should be packaged to net something else that the Cubs could use.

The trying to find "lightening in a bottle stuff" needs to stop. Olt isn't part of the Cubs going forward. Talent is directly behind him and pushing really hard

I wouldn't hold my breath that he will ever make it. He is reminiscent of B-Jax to me, and is another prospect that is screaming "BUST". :popcorn:

chibears55

Liked Posts:
i think they will pass on the 37 YO michael young and just go with who they have now..
worse case scenerio if Olt dont start the season with them, they can still turn to Valbuena and or murphy until either baez or bryant takes over at some point next year.

i dont see them going out and bringing in another 3Bmen..

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Valbuena giving way to Olt at some point later next year is pretty much the plan.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Valbuena giving way to Olt at some point later next year is pretty much the plan.

I would venture to guess that it will be Baez before Olt. If Olt doesn't break camp, I doubt he makes it up before Baez. Baez is cruising through systems. He is playing in AFL. He will start in AAA and if he is hitting then no doubt he will be up in July or August. Bryant will be coming soon after unless he hits a wall which no one expects.

CubbyBear2290

Graham Dougie=UNBEATABLE!
Liked Posts:
Olt isn't hitting AAA pitching and I would venture to say that he won't hit major league pitching either. He should be putting up good numbers either in average, power or something and he is not.

There are too many guys behind him that are proving themselves worthy and are adjusting to their flaws. Olt isn't and should be packaged to net something else that the Cubs could use.

The trying to find "lightening in a bottle stuff" needs to stop. Olt isn't part of the Cubs going forward. Talent is directly behind him and pushing really hard

I wouldn't hold my breath that he will ever make it. He is reminiscent of B-Jax to me, and is another prospect that is screaming "BUST". :popcorn:

He hasn't been hitting AAA pitching consistently all year, but he seems to be coming around lately.

chibears55

Liked Posts:

i agree with silent,, I think Olt is going to be given every opportunity in ST to break camp and start at 3B and if he doesnt make it he is going to have to totally outplay both baez and bryant in the minors to be brought up before them.

He hasn't been hitting AAA pitching consistently all year, but he seems to be coming around lately.

Mike Olt last 6 games 7 for 17 Hr 7 BB 3 K.... looks as if he seeing the ball a bit better

CubbyBear2290

Graham Dougie=UNBEATABLE!
Liked Posts:
Mike Olt last 6 games 7 for 17 Hr 7 BB 3 K.... looks as if he seeing the ball a bit better

I know, I'm agreeing with you. He looks as though he could be turning the corner if you look at the last 10-15 game sample size.

Derkach77

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why would you want an over the hill 3B as our starting guy. Baez, castro or even bryant at their stages of their short careers would be huge upgrades for us. I know bryant and baez haven't played a single ML game, but they are damn close to being big contributors at the major league level IMHO. Even Olt would be fine. Idk what the major plan is with all these position guys but it seems no matter what Bryant and baez will be starters very soon at whatever position.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Like I said Olt should be given the first shot. If he loses in S/T I do not expect him in the plans. Even if he does break camp he will have to play at a high level to hold onto 3B.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't see them starting the clock on Baez yet. 2014 will be for Olt at some point.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Baez isn't gonna be up till 2015.

You guys can wishful think all you want but he isn't gonna be up in 2014.

Its gonna be Valbuena and Olt regardless of the outcome team wise.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Baez isn't gonna be up till 2015.

You guys can wishful think all you want but he isn't gonna be up in 2014.

Its gonna be Valbuena and Olt regardless of the outcome team wise.

He also wasn't suppose to be in AA this year. Its not wishful thinking. Its he has completely dominated every level he has played in. AA is much harder transition then AAA.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Why would Michael Young play for the Cubs? He's at the end of his rope. When he signs a deal, it's going to be to a contender. He displayed this during the trade deadling when the only teams he'd waive his no-trade clause for were teams in the hunt. I'd much rather give reps to Olt or Vitters than Michael Young.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
And he got traded to the Dodgers anyway.... let's close this one up :lol: