Would you consider bringing back Ramirez?

Liked Posts:
I would. If we took on all his salary on the final year of his contact with the Brewers without having to give up much in terms of prospect value, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Something's gotta give with this Cubs offense. During the Hendry regime, we were too right-handed. While nowadays during the Theo regime, we're too left-handed.

I, for one, am not a fan of letting our top prospects either sink or swim at the major league level. These guys need veteran guidance. And perhaps more importantly, we need a 3rd baseman for 2014 that's capable of playing the position on a daily basis RIGHT NOW. Mike Olt is clearly not ready for the big leagues, and we might not see Kris Bryant until 2014 and he might not stick at third anyway...

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Don't see the fit to be honest. Aramis Ramirez has been good but hurt a lot this year. He is on the last year of his deal and will be 36 I believe next year. Good hitter still, but he only makes a 2014 team better. The goal is to be better beyond that point.

Cubs2008

Liked Posts:
I can see it on a one year low ball deal. Ramirez is at that point in his career where he'll sign a one year deal and the Cubs may not any better options.

The question is, where does Baez end up next year? That guy may not have much left to prove after the AFL. If Baez makes the team I could see either he or Castro playing third.

Liked Posts:
I would. If we took on all his salary on the final year of his contact with the Brewers without having to give up much in terms of prospect value, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Something's gotta give with this Cubs offense. During the Hendry regime, we were too right-handed. While nowadays during the Theo regime, we're too left-handed.

I, for one, am not a fan of letting our top prospects either sink or swim at the major league level. These guys need veteran guidance. And perhaps more importantly, we need a 3rd baseman for 2014 that's capable of playing the position on a daily basis RIGHT NOW. Mike Olt is clearly not ready for the big leagues, and we might not see Kris Bryant until 2014 and he might not stick at third anyway...

I meant to say 2015 there. Man how time seems to fly once you reach the crossroads of your life in your mid-20's.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I can see it on a one year low ball deal. Ramirez is at that point in his career where he'll sign a one year deal and the Cubs may not any better options.

The question is, where does Baez end up next year? That guy may not have much left to prove after the AFL. If Baez makes the team I could see either he or Castro playing third.

Baez and Bryant almost certainly coming up at some point next year makes this option not going to happen. They will do a platoon and wait for one of them to come up to take the spot. My guess is Baez.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I meant to say 2015 there. Man how time seems to fly once you reach the crossroads of your life in your mid-20's.

He'll be up by September 2014... book it.

Last edited:

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nope. First off, he wouldn't wanna come back as it was a divorce and he'll prolly ask for too many years and/or too much money. Baez will prolly be up next year and play 3B, so I don't see a fit and he's too injury prone.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Plus, he's on contract for next year so it makes it even more less unlikely.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
No I wouldn't want him due to age. Anyone they bring in we have to look at resale value. Rammy is old and is not cheep so the Cubs would absorb most of the deal just to get garbage on a flip. This is why I would go after Cruz. He has low value going in coming off of roid suspension. He has 30 HR potential and a big RH bat that would fit in at LF next year to build up trade value while Bryant and Baez finish up their development. So signing Cruz on a 1 year flip makes sense. A ram would be a bad trade. Low return value and stuck over paying. They had to do this with Sori and it seemed dumb. Why walk into that situation?

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Why not? Shit, he's better than anyone else on this team!

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
He was my favorite Cub in the last decade but he doesnt make sense for Cubs now. I thought they should have resigned him 3 yrs ago but 3 yrs later Cubs just gotten worse, worse, and worse

Liked Posts:
He was my favorite Cub in the last decade but he doesnt make sense for Cubs now. I thought they should have resigned him 3 yrs ago but 3 yrs later Cubs just gotten worse, worse, and worse

It was a mutual option for 2012. Theo & company wanted him back but he apparently was looking for more long-term security and declined. Does it really matter that'd we'd have to absorb his entire contract in order for the Brewers to bite? We're already eating a good $13 million of Soriano's contract next year as it is. What we got to lose?

Obviously it would have to be the right price in terms of prospect value, though.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
Nope. First off, he wouldn't wanna come back as it was a divorce and he'll prolly ask for too many years and/or too much money. Baez will prolly be up next year and play 3B, so I don't see a fit and he's too injury prone.

He's still under contract for next year. The Cubs would have to trade for him. The thought is the brewers may be willing to give him up for little if the Cubs will pay his salary.