Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
All right... we know the situation. Bears trail 14-13, 4th and goal from the 1. You have been stopped 3 straight times, and now the choice is yours.. Go for it, or kick the FG?

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
me.. I would have kicked the FG. That's money range for Robbie Gould.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would've. If your O-Line can't get a push of less than one yard, then that's depressing. I would've gone for the QB sneak and rode Kreutz into the endzone, but that's just me

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I don't know much football, but FG was a no-brainer for me.

TopekaRoy

The Wizard of OZ
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is not as easy a call as it may seem to some, but there's no question in my mind what the right answer is.

If you go for it and get the TD, then you have to go for (and get) a 2 point conversion. With a 6 point lead, the Lions can beat you with a TD. If you get the TD but not the 2pt conv, then you are kicking off and giving the Lions better field position than they would get if you don't get the TD (at the 1), but they still need a TD to beat you.

If you take the FG then the Lions only need a FG to beat you!

If the Bears defense were struggling and The Lions were moving the ball, I would take my chances and go for the TD. But this was not the case.

The Bears failed to score on 3 tries from insde the 1. What makes anyone think they will be successful on the 4th try with this O-line?

The FG gives you a 2 point lead and your defense is playing well against a back-up QB. There's still plenty of time left to come back and score again if your defense gives up any points.

I kick the damn field goal, no question.

RandallPinkFloyd42

Liked Posts:
At that point in the game I'm kicking the field goal. The Lions couldn't move the ball until that last bit of the game, so kick the field goal, take the lead and if they score a touchdown then they're up by 9 with that small amount of time left.

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Looking at how their offense was playing at the time. I am not concerned about them driving the field or anything. I agree with going for it on 4th down, I just don't agree on the playcalling on 1st/2nd/3rd/4th down to get in the endzone.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
I think going for it was a smart move. Realize the Lions weren't doing anything at all offensively most of the time before that because the majoirty of the second half and after that as well they were backed up with terrible field position, failing to score keeps them in that area... if you kick the field goal and are only up by 2 they get the ball with ability to have range to throw.. and what happened when they later kicked the field goal and gave them normal position? They threw and moved the ball finally. They could of won with a field goal if that was the only lead.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
They made the right call. We lose that game if the Lions have to drive the field w/ 1:20 left and need a FG to win.

What I don't like, tho..is the lack of QB sneaks. Pull a Brees...go tell the line judge you're going to put the ball over the line and pull it back quickly...Martz is afraid Cutler's gonna get hurt though, imo.

Cover3

wat
Liked Posts:
to be honest I was okay with them going for it, but the playcalling and blocking just failed to deliver

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
I get he desire for sneak, but he threat of injury i very legit... after seeing what Suh did to Jake Delhomme I wouldn't be eager to put Jay Cutler's head right straight into where he can be dirty in a messy pile.

Plus look at ND just the day before, QB gets hurt on a sneak TD and had to miss the whole half and probably cost them the game.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I would have done what I would do in Madden..I would go for it..however I would have QB sneaked it.

omc1969

Liked Posts:
What I don't understand is Lovies' reasoning for going for it. He said that because our "D was playing so well that he wasn't concerned by going for it. By the very same reasoning I would have taken the points / lead and let our "D" do their thing. Detroit had NOTHING going against our "D" so what's the difference regarding field position ? If I did go for it however I would have called the sneak. JMHO

Cover3

wat
Liked Posts:
What I don't understand is Lovies' reasoning for going for it. He said that because our "D was playing so well that he wasn't concerned by going for it. By the very same reasoning I would have taken the points / lead and let our "D" do their thing. Detroit had NOTHING going against our "D" so what's the difference regarding field position ? If I did go for it however I would have called the sneak. JMHO

just kicking the ball to them was a risk in itself, by pounding it in he figured they'd either score or have the lions stuck at their own 1, I thought he made the right call.

E: you're right about the sneak i'm sure it would of worked

Last edited:

omc1969

Liked Posts:
just kicking the ball to them was a risk in itself, by pounding it in he figured they'd either score or have the lions stuck at their own 1, I thought he made the right call.

E: you're right about the sneak i'm sure it would of worked

I understand what you are saying here but IMHO our ST's had them frustrated as well. I guess there is always the chance of a fluke return though.

;)

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
The D in that situation, with that great field position was stopping them. Kicking the field goal creates an unknown and makes it a field goal game only.

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
10 out of 10 you kick the field goal. I don't get the debate on this. It was a stupid call by Lovie & he will never fess up to it. The O-line was stopped twice before on the run during that series. And if you are gonna go for it, you QB sneak or HB dive, what you don't do is run a friggin' power sweep. Lovie was wrong, plain & simple. However in his mind, he knew if I don't get atleast 6pts, my brilliant Cover-Who prevent D will yield atleast 3 on the next Lions posession. He can thank his lucky stars that 1) Forte completely bailed out the team TWICE when they were dead in the water, 2) Briggs made a great sack & forced a fumble, & 3) Johnson made the mistake of letting go of the ball as he got up to celebrate a blatantly obvious TD catch.

Status
Not open for further replies.