WTF has happened to our defense..

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
-Rodgers completed 80% of his passes. No turnovers. Bears got 1 sack. 7 drives for 5 TDs.

-Over the season, we fell well short of what this defense was capable of:

-No player reached double digit sacks. Hicks and Quinn combined for 5.5 sacks and we ended up 17th overall in team sacks.

-No INTs for Eddie Jackson. (24th overall in INTs)

-18th in passing TDs allowed. 19th in opponent QBR (94.9)

-We obviously suffered injuries. Losing Jaylon was a big loss down the stretch. Jackson may not be totally healthy. We know that Hicks, Quinn and Mack have been fighting injuries all season which is probably the biggest component.

It is likely a combination of factors, but this defense has a ton more talent than they achieved, especially down the stretch. Is it time for Pagano to go? Arguably, it would be hard to do much worse with more, and maybe its time for new blood and new ideas on defense. He was completely outcoached on Sunday and gave Rodgers nothing to think about. As they say, "firing 1 guy is easier than firing 11", but our defensive year ended in disaster. Regardless of what happens in New Orleans, the Bears defense is significantly underperforming.

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Excuses...
Pagano scheme
DROY candidate corner out
Starting nickle out
Best run stopper on COVID leave
Best defender injured in first Q
old
EJack sucks after his contract

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
-Rodgers completed 80% of his passes. No turnovers. Bears got 1 sack. 7 drives for 5 TDs.

-No player reached double digit sacks. Hicks and Quinn combined for 5.5 sacks and we ended up 17th overall in team sacks.

-We obviously suffered injuries. Losing Jaylon was a big loss down the stretch. Jackson may not be totally healthy. We know that Hicks, Quinn and Mack have been fighting injuries all season which is probably the biggest component.

It is likely a combination of factors, but this defense has a ton more talent than they achieved, especially down the stretch. Is it time for Pagano to go? Arguably, it would be hard to do much worse with more, and maybe its time for new blood and new ideas on defense. He was completely outcoached on Sunday and gave Rodgers nothing to think about. As they say, "firing 1 guy is easier than firing 11", but our defensive year ended in disaster. Regardless of what happens in New Orleans, the Bears defense is significantly underperforming.

Or maybe we were just over rating them all along

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Excuses...
Pagano scheme
DROY candidate corner out
Starting nickle out
Best run stopper on COVID leave
Best defender injured in first Q
old
EJack sucks after his contract

No chance he beats out Chase Young.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
that CB blitz was brutal...CB blitz on Rodgers with one on one deep is a recipe for disaster.

the play where they were faking the blitz on the left side was well played. Almost resulted in an INT.....

It is better to fake blitzes that to actually blitz, let alone a CB blitz.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

I have a few thoughts.

1. The Packers are a very good team. And Rodgers is incredible. They torched the Titans the week before. It's not surprising he had a day vs the Bears. Roquan exiting this game was huge for the D. Right after he left, the D looked lost and then got torched by MVS IIRC. Shelley/Vindle were outmatched all day too, but that was kinda expected.

2. Pagano sucks

3. I feel like after the Bears went on that 6 game skid, the D lost their edge and just never regained it over those 3 wins.

4. Matt Nagy is a worthless ballsack. I know everyone wants to pin the poor defense on Pagano and that's fine. He deserves to shoulder a lot of the blame, but Nagy is the HC and I know his 'specialty' if you want to call it that is offense. He's still the head honcho. The D has continually regressed since 2018 and it's now a trend that Nagy can't develop his players or use the proper personnel. So, the Bears have a HC who sucks at calling plays and from what I can tell, has very little input on Defense. Poor combination.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Execution

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Hey @msadows care to comment or are you still hungover?

thenewguy

Liked Posts:
I have a few thoughts.

1. The Packers are a very good team. And Rodgers is incredible. They torched the Titans the week before. It's not surprising he had a day vs the Bears. Roquan exiting this game was huge for the D. Right after he left, the D looked lost and then got torched by MVS IIRC. Shelley/Vindle were outmatched all day too, but that was kinda expected.

2. Pagano sucks

3. I feel like after the Bears went on that 6 game skid, the D lost their edge and just never regained it over those 3 wins.

4. Matt Nagy is a worthless ballsack. I know everyone wants to pin the poor defense on Pagano and that's fine. He deserves to shoulder a lot of the blame, but Nagy is the HC and I know his 'specialty' if you want to call it that is offense. He's still the head honcho. The D has continually regressed since 2018 and it's now a trend that Nagy can't develop his players or use the proper personnel. So, the Bears have a HC who sucks at calling plays and from what I can tell, has very little input on Defense. Poor combination.
This is the perfect summary. The only thing I would add is lack of depth caught up with them, but that is a little unfair because I think coaching covers for some loss of depth. Since our DC does essentially the same thing regardless of personnel, and actually coaches worse somehow when he deviates from that, I'll just chalk that up to a combo of #2 & #4.

I think your #4 reason isn't talked about enough. Head coaches usually have a specialty on one side of the ball, but they need to be CEO's as well. When something isn't working they need to help facilitate change. Nagy is bad at calling offensive plays, useless on the defensive side of the ball, bad at talent development, and an average - at best- at clock management. Which I guess led to your #3 reason, so you really had all of this covered :)

redgrange19

Eater of Ham
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
They have been bad since the opener, allowing Peterson to rumble over and over. The loss of Goldman was huge, him being in there alone maybe gives us two more wins against the Vikings and Lions.

The real regression is the secondary play. Only 3 interceptions amongst the starting 4. If you count Skrine, it's still 3. That's really bad, considering the kid from Miami had 10 alone. Eddie Jackson is getting worse every year, and teams just attack wherever Fuller isn't.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
For everyone that wants Pagano gone....

No good defensive coordinator is coming here with Nagy on a short leash.

So who on the staff replaces him? That seems like the only realistic option to me other than keeping him.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Jackson is playing too close to the LOS I've noticed. He needs to be the deep Safety at all times possible. He's been such a disappointment this year. And the DL has been trash.

Only Fuller, Jaylon Johnson to some degree, and Roquan have played up to standards