Xavien Howard

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Should bears be trying to make something happen for Howard?

I understand our cap space is limited and he wants a restructured mega contract. Bears are at best unsettled at DB and Howard is a top 5 cb. He could be a long term answer and settle an important position that is in Flux. Idk if they could get it done with Hicks and a future mid rd pick.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Cut Fuller then trade a 1st for Xavien Howard who will be paid a whole lot more than Fuller.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Cut Fuller then trade a 1st for Xavien Howard who will be paid a whole lot more than Fuller.
I dont think Howard will get a 1st because of contract demands but Howard is also younger and quite a bit better than Fuller. Howard is a shut down corner, I like fuller a lot but he never really was a guy who takes a great wr away completely. Also Fuller was due 20 mill and that might be in line with what Xavien will end up getting

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
No cap space. No draft capital. Hard pass.
Yeah I tend to agree. I wish there was a way to make it happen because he can change a defense and we are going to need to address cb next year, but I don't know they can make it work for him.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
It's completely reasonable to want the position upgraded, but based on the current cap/draft pick situation it's unrealistic.

Also, Hicks has had injuries the past 2 years, is currently 31 and will be 32 before the season is done. Howard on the other hand is coming off an All Pro season and just turned 28 (July 4th).

Add in that CB is a premium position there's a massive gap between those two players. I'm thinking the draft capital needed to make that happen would be significant.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
It's completely reasonable to want the position upgraded, but based on the current cap/draft pick situation it's unrealistic.

Also, Hicks has had injuries the past 2 years, is currently 31 and will be 32 before the season is done. Howard on the other hand is coming off an All Pro season and just turned 28 (July 4th).

Add in that CB is a premium position there's a massive gap between those two players. I'm thinking the draft capital needed to make that happen would be significant.
I think his contract demands are going to bring return down a bit. Like as a player I think hes worth a 1st possibly plus some depending on whether that 1st will be late or not. But with his demands I'm thinking he'll net a good vet like ertz plus a 2nd or 3rd.

I could be completely wrong on that though

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
A great pass rush makes mediocre DB's look great, whether that pass rush materializes with Desai is yet to be seen, but that is where a large chunk of the defensive money has been spent. Plus cap space and draft capital is something Pace has all but completely given away over the years already. Time to start drafting talent on the cheap vs paying other teams for their talent with draft capital and then paying the player at a premium.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

X.Howard is a top 3 CB in the NFL IMO and i'd love to have him but with the cap as low as it is there's just no way for us to be able to afford him without making some other drastic salary move. I think we're just gonna have to deal with hope at CB this year. Hope that we have much more QB pressure and sacks to help our secondary. Hope that both J.Johnson and D.Trufant can stay healthy.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Yeah I tend to agree. I wish there was a way to make it happen because he can change a defense and we are going to need to address cb next year, but I don't know they can make it work for him.
What changes a defense more than a top 5 CB is losing someone like Hicks.

The defensive line is what makes a defense great. If the QB has all day, it doesn't matter if the DBs are hall-of-famers, they are eventually going to lose their coverage.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
What changes a defense more than a top 5 CB is losing someone like Hicks.

The defensive line is what makes a defense great. If the QB has all day, it doesn't matter if the DBs are hall-of-famers, they are eventually going to lose their coverage.
Well hicks would be gone next year anyway so it is a year of declining production at a position with some depth vs like 4-5 years at least of elite production from a position we are sorely lacking.

Don't get me wrong, I love hicks and what he's done for us, but he's on the tail end of that.

napo55

Liked Posts:
Cap mismanagement by Pace makes this impossible.

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Send Foles to Miami for Howard. Done deal.
0UUazAolCxKyHv5aNFPibI9eRyn-oExay_zIeJcgzUD0c5t9edHBbNa6Ahrv1daoR6AQAW0

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Well hicks would be gone next year anyway so it is a year of declining production at a position with some depth vs like 4-5 years at least of elite production from a position we are sorely lacking.

Don't get me wrong, I love hicks and what he's done for us, but he's on the tail end of that.
I understand the need, but I would probably save the money for Hick's replacement. A more important position.