Yankees Looking at Soriano, Ramirez, Marshall

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I personally see no way Hendry is around next year. Unless he able to somehow work out a (fairly) cheap deal with Pujols. Regardless I don't think he survives to even get to try.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
I'm not even concerned about what the Cubs would get in return, just seeing Soriano gone would satisfy me enough. As far as Marshall goes, He's untouchable to me. The guy is as solid as they come in relief and he's left handed which makes him even more valuable in my world.

This. Even if the Cubs get some average prospect in return, dumping the contract would be satisfaction enough.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
This. Even if the Cubs get some average prospect in return, dumping the contract would be satisfaction enough.

That is the point though. The article made it sound like the Cubs would have to pay more than most of the salary (doesn't really state how much and there is a big difference between 50% and 90%), get nothing in return and trade a player like Sean Marshall to get rid of Soriano. That is a terrible idea. The Cubs would take a bag of balls to get rid of half of Soriano's salary, but if the Cubs have to make Soriano a 4 to 5 million a year player he actually isn't overpaid at that point. And therefore ought to be able to get a legitimate prospect (not a top flight one, but someone with some upside).

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why is Sean Marshall untouchable? He's a reliever. Every reliever should be "touchable." if we can get 3 good prospects for Marshall, I don't see how you don't pull the trigger. He is a very replaceable player. While we would lose production, we would gain money & prospects on the cheap.