“As long as Ted Phillips is there I don’t want anything to do with Chicago”

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

I don’t pay enough attention to know what the general public opinion is of Florio but still sad to hear this. All bears fans know ted needs to gtfo….but yet there he is.
Florio is full of shit on a regular basis and admits to saying things just to generate discussion.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know that's what they say, but on the other hand, why is he taking part of the interview process?
He is still the team president. I don't like it either, but Polian will most likely be doing the majority of the interview.

Everyone saying this is a replay of Acorsi are mistaken. IIRC, Acorsi compiled lists and gave his feedback on which one to interview and hire, he wasn't involved in the interview process.

jive

Liked Posts:
This makes me think of the famous quote by the philosophers Beavis and Butthead.
"Just because one sucks, doesn't mean the other doesn't also suck"

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
The worst thing Phillips did was hire bad GM's, who hired bad coaches. He absolutely didn't hold Pace back in the past 7 years. And now the new GM answers directly to ownership, Georgie already said he's not a football guy and will be hands off from that aspect. How does that make the destination look bad? ...

stelz

Heavily Medicated
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Polian talked George into moving Ted aside. The coach reports to the GM, the GM reports to George. Ted’s working on the stadium.

George is HANDS OFF. Ted is out of the way. Whoever gets in there is going to have control over football ops. There has been tons of money available for years. It’s been wasted foolishly.

This is a non issue

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Polian talked George into moving Ted aside. The coach reports to the GM, the GM reports to George. Ted’s working on the stadium.

George is HANDS OFF. Ted is out of the way. Whoever gets in there is going to have control over football ops. There has been tons of money available for years. It’s been wasted foolishly.

This is a non issue
It's the best we can hope for at this point. McCaskey himself doesn't know what he's doing so the first question is, is Bill Polian the right guy effectively making the decision? Better than McCaskey anyway. I would just worry about the right guy getting passed over because he may not be "a nice man" which is what George and Ted seem to be looking for.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
If I am a GM I prefer Phillips

So much this.

The Bears gave a ton of freedom to a very young & very inexperienced candidate in Ryan Pace. That tells me I can do whatever I want in Chicago so long as I can sell it to a bunch of people that don't know much at all.

Perfect job!

I mean imagine working for someone like Jerry Jones instead.

No

Thank

You

stelz

Heavily Medicated
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It's the best we can hope for at this point. McCaskey himself doesn't know what he's doing so the first question is, is Bill Polian the right guy effectively making the decision? Better than McCaskey anyway. I would just worry about the right guy getting passed over because he may not be "a nice man" which is what George and Ted seem to be looking for.

When George said, “Ryan and Matt were not hired because they are nice guys,” I didn’t believe him, that niceness wasn’t part of the criteria. But this is likely one of many things that Polian has convinced George that is wrong with the Bears.

Interviewing Flores may be an indication of this. He is NOT a “nice guy” in any way. They would have NEVER considered him before.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
When George said, “Ryan and Matt were not hired because they are nice guys,” I didn’t believe him, that niceness wasn’t part of the criteria. But this is likely one of many things that Polian has convinced George that is wrong with the Bears.

Interviewing Flores may be an indication of this. He is NOT a “nice guy” in any way.
I think of it more as "Bears culture." What are the Bears? A family business effectively and the people they bring are sorta treated like family. Do you want to bring something of a dickhead into your family? Probably not. We know the Bears are about family and making money first, winning games second, so they'll be insistent on finding "the right guy for our culture" which is code for "a nice man" first and then hope that guy can win football games.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I’ve heard he’s nixed trades… like for ladanian tomlinson in the draft because of money. Several other examples. All hearsay from my end but nothing i really doubt.
Ya, I remember that but he obviously never blocked Pace from overpaying or trade ups.

stelz

Heavily Medicated
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think of it more as "Bears culture." What are the Bears? A family business effectively and the people they bring are sorta treated like family. Do you want to bring something of a dickhead into your family? Probably not. We know the Bears are about family and making money first, winning games second, so they'll be insistent on finding "the right guy for our culture" which is code for "a nice man" first and then hope that guy can win football games.

Yes. My thinking is that Polian convinced George that what you are referring to is one of the things wrong with the Bears.

Collins77

Liked Posts:
I'd say there has to be a Lil fire if there is smoke. While he might not be the contributing factor to how bad the team has been. I do belive having an a numbers guy making any decisions on football matters is a problem. Like someone previously said, let him deal with business stuff. Hire someone else to make football decisions. There are behind the scenes stuff that we don't have access to.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Yes. My thinking is that Polian convinced George that what you are referring to is one of the things wrong with the Bears.
I guess we'll find out. It's not to say that a nice man can't do the job. Lovie Smith, the nicest of men, was our best coach since Ditka left 30 years ago.

stelz

Heavily Medicated
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I guess we'll find out. It's not to say that a nice man can't do the job. Lovie Smith, the nicest of men, was our best coach since Ditka left 30 years ago.
All we can do. The most encouraging thing is that George was convinced to launch Pace. That took some doing. Second, was to move Ted out of the way as far as football ops. Same. Presumably it was Polian.

All their instincts are wrong. Again hopefully Polian.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
All we can do. The most encouraging thing is that George was convinced to launch Pace. That took some doing. Second, was to move Ted out of the way as far as football ops. Same. Presumably it was Polian.

All their instincts are wrong. Again hopefully Polian.
Here's what you can say to defend any position of relative optimism when it comes to GM and head coach search: "But Bill Polian!"

stelz

Heavily Medicated
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Here's what you can say to defend any position of relative optimism when it comes to GM and head coach search: "But Bill Polian!"

Yeah. Absurdist humor…It’s the reality of where we are as fans.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Yeah. It’s the reality of where we are as fans.
Regardless of what happens, we've basically got 3-4 years of "well give him some time we're rebuilding."

Heidenlarm

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You’re getting paid 5-10 mil a year for 5 years guaranteed they will put up with philips lol
Or go somewhere else where they will make the same and not have to deal with him.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
What an idiot?! You want to stay away from Chicago because Ted Phillips, who is essentially hands off on the actual Football side of things...
Ok...

oso4lyf

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Miami Hurricanes
What's a Florio? ;)