CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Well he's a minus player to start with. He averages 15 mpg on a bad team. There were so many stretches over the course of the season where he showed how poor his hands are. He takes ill-advised three point shots, and takes long 2's. He's turnover prone, not that great of a rebounder, and he isn't a rim protector.

But, by all means, please read so heavily into a one game performance.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Lol again...I've spoken highly of him since his rookie year. But by all means, keep regurgitating the one game comment.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Ok, so perhaps explain to me what I am missing when I am watching Bobby Portis. You've been singing his praises for two years, by all means, why not share with me what you see in him?

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Ok, so perhaps explain to me what I am missing when I am watching Bobby Portis. You've been singing his praises for two years, by all means, why not share with me what you see in him?

Well for starters, he's been jerked around with minutes because Fred's force feeding of Niko. Especially going back to last season but it remained this season. Niko is one of the most inconsistent players I've ever seen yet Fred continued to try to fit a square peg in a round hole which took away from Bobby's development. But anyways...

Despite that, at only 21 years of age, he has a promising outside shot and brings a toughness and energy that I prefer my bigs to have. Good rebounder. Has a decent post game and face up game. Posted a PER of 15 and a TS% of .545 this year. eFG% was .531

There's a lot to like about Bobby. He still has a lot of room to grow and we started to see that after the Taj trade. All he needs is minutes and the opportunity. I'm not sure how anyone can watch him and say he blows.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
We are simply watching two different players.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well for starters, he's been jerked around with minutes because Fred's force feeding of Niko. Especially going back to last season but it remained this season. Niko is one of the most inconsistent players I've ever seen yet Fred continued to try to fit a square peg in a round hole which took away from Bobby's development. But anyways...

Despite that, at only 21 years of age, he has a promising outside shot and brings a toughness and energy that I prefer my bigs to have. Good rebounder. Has a decent post game and face up game. Posted a PER of 15 and a TS% of .545 this year. eFG% was .531

There's a lot to like about Bobby. He still has a lot of room to grow and we started to see that after the Taj trade. All he needs is minutes and the opportunity. I'm not sure how anyone can watch him and say he blows.
In fairness, to start this year he did blow. He was missing all his jumpers and couldn't seem to hold onto the ball. That's why he fell out of the rotation imo. He seems to have regained his touch though since the Taj trade, but I wouldn't say he was super impressive. He's had flashes though so I see what you're saying.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
In fairness, to start this year he did blow. He was missing all his jumpers and couldn't seem to hold onto the ball. That's why he fell out of the rotation imo. He seems to have regained his touch though since the Taj trade, but I wouldn't say he was super impressive. He's had flashes though so I see what you're saying.

I never said he was super impressive but he's solid and young enough where you still expect improvement. Yeah, he struggled a bit early in the year but between Fred's infatuation with Niko and with Taj, Felicio, and Lopez in the front court, it was pretty hard for him to gain any sort of traction. Not very surprising that a young player in a crowded front court struggled early on. Fred's minutes and rotations were/are all over the place. Either way...he certainly doesn't suck like Gustav is claiming.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Well he's a minus player to start with. He averages 15 mpg on a bad team. There were so many stretches over the course of the season where he showed how poor his hands are. He takes ill-advised three point shots, and takes long 2's. He's turnover prone, not that great of a rebounder, and he isn't a rim protector.

But, by all means, please read so heavily into a one game performance.

He was a rookie that was drafted at #22 in the 1st round. He came to the Bulls who had Taj and Niko already in front of him. That's without finding room for Jo and Gasol as well. Did you really expect him to play 30 minutes right away? There is plenty of reason to get excited about his first playoff game experience. The playoffs is where players grow up and become the players they can be. Heck, even MJ scored a measly 23 points his first playoff game.

Portis' statline was 29 minutes, 19 points, 9 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 blocks, and 0 turnovers. He was 8-10 from the field and 3-4 from the arc. He both rebounded well and protected the rim rather well. I'd say those are impressive numbers for his first playoff game, myself. By the way, his College statline was 17.5 points, 8.9 rebounds, 1.4 blocks and 1.1 steals as a sophomore at Arkansas. Not to mention, he shot extremely well from the field (53.6 percent) and three-point range (46.7 percent).

I don't get the negativity around here. Why be a Bulls fan or even post on a Bulls MB if you can't get excited about their performance in game #1? The Bulls are definitely not a bad team. They may not be a great team, but there are 14 other teams watching from their couch. The way I see it, there are probably 2-4 great teams, and a bunch more that have a shot to do something. Again, another thing I don't like about the NBA.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I don't get the negativity around here. Why be a Bulls fan or even post on a Bulls MB if you can't get excited about their performance in game #1? The Bulls are definitely not a bad team. They may not be a great team, but there 14 other teams watching from their couch. The way I see it, there are probably 2-4 great teams, and a bunch more that have a shot to do something. Again, another thing I don't like about the NBA.
To respond to your first two paragraphs: a. he isn't a rookie b. I don't care about his college stat line.

As far as the paragraph I quoted: Grow up.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
To respond to your first two paragraphs: a. he isn't a rookie b. I don't care about his college stat line.

As far as the paragraph I quoted: Grow up.

I didn't mean to imply he was a rookie. The point was when he was drafted, he came into a stacked front line. This is why Taj was traded this year so Portis could get some minutes to develop. I just don't see how a lack of minutes is his fault. Valentine will likely go through a similar development next year.

His College statline is indicative of what we can expect from him moving forward. It's no guarantee, of course, but it was very similar to what we saw in game #1.

How many years was it before people said Butler could shoot the ball? Jimmy really didn't start shooting the ball well until year #4.

Jimmy Butler Stats
SEASONGPGSMINFGM-AFG%3PM-A3P%FTM-AFT%ORDRREBASTBLKSTLPFTOPTS
'11-'124208.50.8-1.9.4050.0-0.3.1821.0-1.3.7680.60.81.30.30.10.30.50.32.6
'12-'13822026.02.9-6.2.4670.5-1.3.3812.3-2.8.8031.72.34.01.40.41.01.20.88.6
'13-'14676738.74.1-10.3.3971.0-3.6.2833.9-5.0.7691.33.64.92.60.51.91.61.513.1
'14-'15656538.76.5-14.0.4621.1-3.0.3785.9-7.1.8341.84.15.83.30.61.81.71.420.0

Yes, it takes a little time for players to develop into what they are in the NBA. The one thing GarPax have done well is draft some players in the back half of the 1st round that have developed into decent players. I don't see the need to slam the guy for having a great first playoff game. It seems to me that you are the one that should grow up.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
As much as I hate to say this, Rondo came to play last night as well, and coach. I was impressed with his tude.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
As much as I hate to say this, Rondo came to play last night as well, and coach. I was impressed with his tude.
From what I understand of everything that went on this season, Rondo hasn't really been the problem in any facet other than the fact that he still can't shoot. But that's not news.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I never said he was super impressive but he's solid and young enough where you still expect improvement. Yeah, he struggled a bit early in the year but between Fred's infatuation with Niko and with Taj, Felicio, and Lopez in the front court, it was pretty hard for him to gain any sort of traction. Not very surprising that a young player in a crowded front court struggled early on. Fred's minutes and rotations were/are all over the place. Either way...he certainly doesn't suck like Gustav is claiming.

Sounds kind've similar to the history of a certain QB who will be getting starter minutes soon...

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
Portis was trash at the beginning of the year. He has been hitting his shots though, especially post all star break. Our coaching sucks, so he hasn't been getting any help from that. Hopefully he can find some level of consistency. He has had many good games this year, but then again, so has Niko.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Portis was trash at the beginning of the year. He has been hitting his shots though, especially post all star break. Our coaching sucks, so he hasn't been getting any help from that. Hopefully he can find some level of consistency. He has had many good games this year, but then again, so has Niko.

Just to set the record straight: I hope Portis continues to improve (I admit that he has been playing better), and I hope it is a consistent thing.

I'm done with the Niko thing. He can go anytime he wants.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't see why Bobby Portis is polarizing people in this forum. He's an expendable young player who is an above average rebounder and sufficient scorer. A pretty good defender too. The Bulls shockingly improved dramatically on defense after the Gibson trade and Portis is a big part of the reason for that. Yes, he sucked earlier on in the season. But damn, this kid is barely even legal drinking age. He could develop into a very good player someday. I'd say he's already a very serviceable player.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I don't see why Bobby Portis is polarizing people in this forum. He's an expendable young player who is an above average rebounder and sufficient scorer. A pretty good defender too. The Bulls shockingly improved dramatically on defense after the Gibson trade and Portis is a big part of the reason for that. Yes, he sucked earlier on in the season. But damn, this kid is barely even legal drinking age. He could develop into a very good player someday. I'd say he's already a very serviceable player.

Can you put together a list of the best 25 serviceable players who are under the age of 25, and over 6'9"???

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Can you put together a list of the best 25 serviceable players who are under the age of 25, and over 6'9"???

1l9pss.jpg