11/13 IGT: Blackhawks at Knights (Sin City edition)

Rinkrat21

Liked Posts:
Did you see that article, that JC has changed the system to allow the hawks to play offensively (not offensive defense) like they did under Q. Activating D, more carrying into the zone than dump and chase that was not working.

So he is being credited for making the decision to let the team play like they want to, not like he wants them to, and may save his job because he is coaching less?
Eh, we'll see how long it saves his job for. This team still needs to make the playoffs this season or someone will have to be the scapegoat.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Eh, we'll see how long it saves his job for. This team still needs to make the playoffs this season or someone will have to be the scapegoat.

Good point, and if you'll recall, that "old" system hadn't been working all that well in the years just before Colliton took over anyway.

If the Hawks don't make the playoffs, I would love for Bowman to get fired before anybody, but I think it'll be Colliton.

vadarx

when reason fails, the devil helps!
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Tell ya what, i've watched every Knights game out here in Vegas, and so far this season their defense has been crap. Fleury has been stealing points for them the same way Lehner has been for the Hawks.

This has all the makings of a 6-4, 7-5 type of game. Flip a coin as to who the winner will be.

But if you're a gambling man like myself, i'd take the over in this one.
yep. Vegas hasn't been great lately, either. we might have a chance tonight depending on how well our 'tender can stand on his head this evening. Flower is Vegas's MVP per usual.

I still don't like our chances if we give up 40 shots. I'll say OT loss this evening.

vadarx

when reason fails, the devil helps!
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Did you see that article, that JC has changed the system to allow the hawks to play offensively (not offensive defense) like they did under Q. Activating D, more carrying into the zone than dump and chase that was not working.

So he is being credited for making the decision to let the team play like they want to, not like he wants them to, and may save his job because he is coaching less?

as far as I am concerned, unless this leads to them making the playoffs, it will just be another nail in his coffin.

but, I guess maybe this is part of a coach learning in the fly in the NHL. I'm not sure if I want to give him credit for changing it up or be concerned that he cannot coach his system well enough to get this team to play it.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Vegas was never as good as they thought they were, took a step back and found that out last year, but this is the first period since inception that they are truly "broken."

They aren't working and are going through a similar searching period as the Hawks.

That said I am already having seizures envisioning Marchaseult assaulting our defensive speed and breaking free.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
as far as I am concerned, unless this leads to them making the playoffs, it will just be another nail in his coffin.

but, I guess maybe this is part of a coach learning in the fly in the NHL. I'm not sure if I want to give him credit for changing it up or be concerned that he cannot coach his system well enough to get this team to play it.
It's also up to the players to try to excecute--just sayin' early on it really didn't look like any of the players gave a flying rats ass--at least until Seabs was forced to fetch off Eddie-O for a couple of games. I

That being said if this is the system it's untenable. in the last 10 games the 'hawks are seeing over 38 SA/G and are at 36.8 SA/GP on the season. if they are trying to keep to 2GA or less, that means the goalie has to hit a .945 SV% on the season (which has never been done--.938 was probably be best goaltender-year ever), and for 3GA that's a .918--which is significantly above average for goalies--even starters.

To win, in that regime it means that the team O has to be putting 4GA/GP on average. That has not happened. In fact, 3.5GF/GP or better has only be done by 10 teams in the past 20 years.

The average team puts about 2600 shots on goal based on last years numbers +/- 400 per year, ergo the numbers become statistical. Both Crawford and Lehner have career averages of about .918SV%, ergo at the rate the 'hawks are leaking shots we can expect about 3 goals against per game. The team O isn't operating at 3 GF/G this year. Unless the D starts tightening it up we're in for a lot of losing.

Rinkrat21

Liked Posts:
Good point, and if you'll recall, that "old" system hadn't been working all that well in the years just before Colliton took over anyway.

If the Hawks don't make the playoffs, I would love for Bowman to get fired before anybody, but I think it'll be Colliton.
The "old" system was the one Q used all along and only stopped working when SB stopped providing Q with enough NHL level talent to succeed. If JC had to start this season with the same roster Q had to start with last season, this team might only have 1-2 wins under their belt at this point lol.

Q with this current roster and this team is probably a few games over .500 at this point instead of a few games under. JC has wasted just about 1/4 of the season figuring out line combos and what system to use. Minor league shit right there.

Rinkrat21

Liked Posts:
Vegas was never as good as they thought they were, took a step back and found that out last year, but this is the first period since inception that they are truly "broken."

They aren't working and are going through a similar searching period as the Hawks.

That said I am already having seizures envisioning Marchaseult assaulting our defensive speed and breaking free.
You have to be pretty decent to put up over 100 points and make it to the SC Finals. Luck will only get ya so far in this league so i'd have to go with they were pretty damn good in year 1 lol.

And let's not even bring up what happened in Game 7 last year. Horrible.

But yeah, their D has always been the weakest part of their team. Fleury has been nothing short of great since he got to Vegas to cover a lot of that up. But now it's catching up with them.

When healthy, their forwards from top to bottom are good as anyone in the league. But as we saw with the Hawks last year, it doesnt matter how many goals you score if you cant keep the puck out of your own net.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You have to be pretty decent to put up over 100 points and make it to the SC Finals. Luck will only get ya so far in this league so i'd have to go with they were pretty damn good in year 1 lol.

And let's not even bring up what happened in Game 7 last year. Horrible.

But yeah, their D has always been the weakest part of their team. Fleury has been nothing short of great since he got to Vegas to cover a lot of that up. But now it's catching up with them.

When healthy, their forwards from top to bottom are good as anyone in the league. But as we saw with the Hawks last year, it doesnt matter how many goals you score if you cant keep the puck out of your own net.

I just give Fleury alot of credit for that. They were also fresh...alot of guys...an abnormal number of guys...who had played limited #'s of NHL games for a variety of reasons and ended up exposed. So much so that they didn't even have interest in TVR...so yes...while they were "good" in some abnormal ways I never looked at their style as sustainable or their peak caliber as championship worthy. Championship worthy just has a certain feel, and I do believe they got blasted pretty good in the Finals and didn't have to play some of the best teams to get there.

They were flawed in some ways, and they lost from that team Neal, so their heavy artilerry firepoewer depth waned. And Neal had a career year and was clutch from start to finish. Enraged crowd favorite Neal and a disrespected Fleury. But having seen the quality of depth it took to push the Hawks to the top, or the Kings, or Bruins, or Pengiuns, ... they didn't have the look of those 4 at any time and after those players took some body miles some advantages are gone.

Last edited:

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The peak Capitals and Red Wings level, they did not quite reach.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They might have been as good as the Blues team that won. They could would have matched up well there and actually been stiffer for the Blues than alot of more skilled teams. PLus they started the franchise with great defensive depth.

it always seems like cheating a bit with the expansion process, like the Avs won in their first year.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Kaner in god mode right now. Gus can take his twig and head to the press box anytime now.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Gustafsson!

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Nice save by Crawford there.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Hell yeah Crawford!!

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Crawford has been fantastic in this second period.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Definitely showing a pulse in this one, working hard....except for my guy. Seabrook is having a rough go tonight. Would love
to see them rewarded with some points for their effort.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks