11/5 IGT: Blackhawks at Sharks (West Coast trip continues)

Granada

Liked Posts:
Stars are finding their way. Won 4,5,6 in row now or somewhere around there?

Must win tonight with the brutal schedule ahead the rest of the month. And I do mean brutal. Sharks have been bad, no reason a good team doesn’t go into their barn and take 2 points.

Same old story, Rat. Hawks go into a game they should have won, only to lay a complete egg. This has been the norm for years now. I'm starting to believe it's beyond a personnel problem -- this team simply doesn't want to compete anymore. I mean you watch the games, and you can see -- they're just going through the motions; all of them (vets, kids). It's pathetic. We can throw the classic reasons out there, like "well, they won 3 Cups, they just don't care" or "well, they see the writing on the wall" -- either or both might be true, but the why really doesn't matter. This is simply where this team is, whatever the reason, and it's a shame.

Not trying to pick on the kids, but Boqvist was particularly bad last night (responsible for 2 goals in my view) and Dach, overall, has been blah. I hate moving Dach to wing by the way -- why do the Hawks always do this with center prospects? Just keep the damn kid at center and let him figure it out; don't let him get comfortable playing wing, like every other prospect did. Like I said, I'm not trying to pick on Dach, but I need to see more from the kid eventually -- he still plays way too tentative out there and doesn't really know how to use his frame on the boards at all; he doesn't take advantage of his size enough.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Boqvist and the corpse of #7 were the worst skaters on the ice last night.

Hey #27, wake the fuck up please!

@Raskolnikov - can you now see that we are not going to line-blender our way out of the cellar?

Rinkrat21

Liked Posts:
The other thing that gets me is these buffoon's Bowman and JC when you get them talking about advanced analytics.

WHAT FUCKING STATS ARE YOU LOOKING AT JACK ASSES?!!

Pull your arrogant fucking heads out of the hole. You don't know shit about applying numbers to strategy...FUCKING CLEARLY!!

Game after game of the worst game anybody is having across the league. 28-8 is unacceptable once...but 6, 7 games in a row...

ITS THE FUCKING SYSTEM!!

These guys think they are ahead of the game? They tricked themselves. We need new management and complete overhaul of strategy immediately.

This is a failure.

Q was obviously the hockey mind that was holding this ship together. You can't interpret it any other way. Its not overreacting to fire the staff when this group looks this bad.

I would not spare the wacko fitness guru either. Our fitness and strength is pathetic. Bunch of pencil neck cunts walking around with smoothies barefoot and doing high interval training over and over without adequate power or resistance.
I read an article recently with SB that was specifically about analytics. Not only do they rely on it more than they probably should, but SB honestly believes they are better at it than anyone else in the league. I couldn’t believe how smug he was about it. If I can find a link to the article I will post it here.

Literally delusional ?

Rinkrat21

Liked Posts:
Same old story, Rat. Hawks go into a game they should have won, only to lay a complete egg. This has been the norm for years now. I'm starting to believe it's beyond a personnel problem -- this team simply doesn't want to compete anymore. I mean you watch the games, and you can see -- they're just going through the motions; all of them (vets, kids). It's pathetic. We can throw the classic reasons out there, like "well, they won 3 Cups, they just don't care" or "well, they see the writing on the wall" -- either or both might be true, but the why really doesn't matter. This is simply where this team is, whatever the reason, and it's a shame.

Not trying to pick on the kids, but Boqvist was particularly bad last night (responsible for 2 goals in my view) and Dach, overall, has been blah. I hate moving Dach to wing by the way -- why do the Hawks always do this with center prospects? Just keep the damn kid at center and let him figure it out; don't let him get comfortable playing wing, like every other prospect did. Like I said, I'm not trying to pick on Dach, but I need to see more from the kid eventually -- he still plays way too tentative out there and doesn't really know how to use his frame on the boards at all; he doesn't take advantage of his size enough.
You know me with the rookies - I’ll believe it when I see it. I’m not much of a hype guy. And so far, not all that impressed with either rookie. Its early and they will probably develop further, but meh so far is about right. And no other “saviors” in the pipeline for now.

Next 12 games decide the season. If they can’t escape 6-6, they are toast. I know what the Blues did last year but first off that is a rarity. And secondly, the Hawks don’t have the same amount of talent on the ice or nearly as good of a coach behind the bench.

Rinkrat21

Liked Posts:
I read an article recently with SB that was specifically about analytics. Not only do they rely on it more than they probably should, but SB honestly believes they are better at it than anyone else in the league. I couldn’t believe how smug he was about it. If I can find a link to the article I will post it here.

Literally delusional ?

Unreal ???

Last edited:

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:

Literally delusional ?

Sometimes you have to just trust your eyes.

Case in point: Pedro Strop, pitcher, Chicago Cubs. Analytics and metrics look good, but the guy is toast and a human gas-can, regardless of metrics.

Rinkrat21

Liked Posts:
Sometimes you have to just trust your eyes.

Case in point: Pedro Strop, pitcher, Chicago Cubs. Analytics and metrics look good, but the guy is toast and a human gas-can, regardless of metrics.
Im all for using analytics to a certain extent. But not 100%. And if it isnt working, like it clearly isnt with the Hawks, then get a clue and cut back on it.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Im all for using analytics to a certain extent. But not 100%. And if it isnt working, like it clearly isnt with the Hawks, then get a clue and cut back on it.

Analytics can be interesting to look at, but I feel like they can be overly-relied upon. I think the accuracy of analytics varies between team analytics and individual analytics, with the former being more accurate than the latter. I guess my point is, I personally don't put that much faith in an individual player's analytics.

WesIsaLeo

Liked Posts:
It's official after I watched highlights from this contest:

Lehner is Goose Gossage w/ the `76 White Sox for the Blackhawks. He'll have to "pitch a shutout to tie." I honestly thought the D would improve slightly (it hasn't.) I figured the PK would improve reasoning it can't get any worse.

That's actually one thing improving recently as Chicago's PK is ranked 19th after starting out dreadful again. The PP has flopped naturally. Chicago is 13th in goals allowed after 14 games but they've several games in hand and we know who's responsible for that decreased total. One guess who's dead-last in goals scored; that is as ridiculous as the Oilers having a terrible PP w/ names like McDavid-Draisaitl-Nugent Hopkins on their roster.

Awful game and effort until very late. I doubt Chicago was "looking past" San Jose either. The team is meshing like fine-tooth gears and monkey wrenches which makes no sense. Maatta and de Haan are good players; Nylander has shown the potential at times he was dealt for. Carpenter has given positive returns in defensive situations. But w/ these additions the team is where it was last year this time: struggling mightily to score. And w/o Lehner oh boy would things look grimmer.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
VVVV
Analytics can be interesting to look at, but I feel like they can be overly-relied upon. I think the accuracy of analytics varies between team analytics and individual analytics, with the former being more accurate than the latter. I guess my point is, I personally don't put that much faith in an individual player's analytics.
Exactly. Any stat--advanced or not is only good within a specific context. Hell, Analytics said Sikura last year was one of the better players on the ice. He wasn't.

The only good news with all of this is indeed if Stan is believing his own hype about analytics and failing to see the forest for the trees, he's just nailing himself in his coffin. The on-ice product and result matter, and quite frankly, it hasn't been there this year. I'm actually really, really surprised the sellout streak hasn't ended.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's a complete disaster. How can he not see that it's clearly not generating an offense? How in the world do you only get 3 total shots from Strome/Kane/DeBrincat? (one of Kaner's attempts was just a redirect)

I said it earlier yesterday, that if we could get shots on goal we might be ok because Jones hasn't been able to stop anything... unsurprisingly we couldn't even get shots on goal for two periods and lost.

Hockey looks exciting all around the league.

Even the Senators have an identity and try to put you into a washing machine. Our problem is trying to play like the Senators when we have a bunch of Hall of Famers, skilled hockey nerds, and young guys good with a stick.

The Senators would be a great team to face right now just to teach us and JC what we aren't by watching them do it. We can't do the washing machine. We need to counter and go at your goal and keep opponents terrified of our offense. there is no fear of our offense and that is a big problem for the pussies we have.

Not only are we losing games but getting your ass kicked is accelerating season attrition. This group can't play like that and if you want to be the Senators in 3 years by all means keep JC and draft thugs.

Good luck with that, I hope its all you dreamed of and a brand of hockey worth blowing up a skilled roster for. Fucking genius.