2011 Cubs Minor league thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs minor leagues started last night thought we could use a thread.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs Minor League Wrap (3/07) |

Last night the minor leagues kicked off. Cubs had four teams playing last night going 3-0-, and here is a quick wrap up of the highs and the lows.

Iowa Cubs 12 Round Rock 9 Thomas Diamond took the bump for the Cubs going 4 innings giving up 3 hits and 3 walks while striking out 5. He gave up 2 ER’s in his outing. Esmailin Caridad really struggled as did Gaub. Over their 4.0 IP 7 runs crossed the plate via 2 HRs. The couple did have 6 strikeouts while only walking one, so there could be some bright side. Scott Maine pitched a scoreless ninth to show even further why he should be on the big league club.

Offensively Luis Montanez, Ty Wright and Bobby Scales led the way with three hits a piece. Wright along with LaHair each hit a HR. Montanez, Wright and LaHair had 3 RBI’s each. Fernando Perez struggled at the dish going 0-4 with three strikeouts.

Tennessee 12, Chattanooga 4 Chistopher Rusin took the mound in the Smokie’s opening game. He went 5 innings allowing 3 runs on 4 hits and 1 BB. Hung-Wen Chen pitched 1.2 innings giving up the other run. Luke Sommer came in to finish the 7th with a strikeout and Blake “The Great One” Parker closed out the game with 2 scoreless innings.

Matthew Spencer led the way for Tennessee with 3 hits including a home run. Top prospects Brett Jackson and Josh Vitters both had great nights. Jackson went 2-4 with 2 walks and a triple. Vitters also did well getting three hits including a two bagger. Steve Clevenger, Ryan Flaherty, and Rebel Riding each tacked on two hits, with Riding also hitting a donger.

Daytona Cubs 3 Brevard County 2 Robert Whitenack was the opening day starter for the Daytona Cubs and he didn’t disappoint. Robert went 5 innings only allowing 2 runs off only 5 hits while giving no free passes. Jeffrey Lorick, Jeff Beliveau, and Frank Batista finalized the other four innings allowing no runs and only putting two people on base, both via hits. Each of the final four pitchers struck out two batters.

Bob Brenleys son Michael struggled at the plate going 0-4 while racking up three strikeouts. Matthew Cerda led the way offensively with 3 hits including a double, and Michael Burgess tacked on a home run, the only other extra base hit for the Cubs. Junior Lake and Vincent Watkins each had two hits. Wellington Castillo, hitting DH, went 0-4 with twoK’s, in his season debut.

Peoria Chiefs 2 Cedar Rapids 2 The Chiefs sent 2010 first round draft pick Hayden Simpson to the mound and he showed why he got a surprise first round pick. While Simpson only went 3.2 innings he struck out 7 batters over that time and only gave up one run via a home run. Johan Gonzalez finished out the fourth, and then Eric Jokisch pitched the other four innings giving up 1 run on 3 hits and two walks. Joksich also struck out 5.

Greg Rohan led the way offensively going 2-4 with two doubles. Pierre LePage also did well getting a hit in his only official AB, but walked in his other two PA. Anthony Giansanti also reached base twice via a single and a double. Prospect Matthew Sczzur also had a double in his four at bats.

Cubs Minor league star of the day: Hayden Simpson had a great debut striking out seven in his season debut. He gets the nod here.

Cubs minor league dud of the day: Esmailin Caridad gets the award today. Caridad spent some time in the majors last year and I think a lot more than 3 innings giving up 5 runs is expected out of him. Hopefully he can bounce back.

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
7k's in 3.2 innings for Simpson damm. Why did they pull him so early?

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Simpson will get a few more starts and he'll move up.

bobferg

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hey Waldo.... Did you purposely mess up the words in your sig? that has always bothered me.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Trey McNutt left his start early today with an injury (inhale and look terrified); but it was just a blister (exhale and look sheepish).

@bleachernation

That's good bit seriously hurt. Still with a blister may miss a few starts

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Brett Jackson had five hits over the wkd. Including a home run yesterday.

Vitters had three hits over the wkd.

Mcnutt did go 2.2 of hitless ball walking two and striking out two.

I'll put more up later if/when I get home. I feel like I haven't been home in ages.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Brett Jackson had five hits over the wkd. Including a home run yesterday.

Vitters had three hits over the wkd.

Mcnutt did go 2.2 of hitless ball walking two and striking out two.

I'll put more up later if/when I get home. I feel like I haven't been home in ages.

:dealwithit:

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs Minor League Review (4/11/11) |

The Cubs again had all four minor league teams in action yesterday. As a whole the Cubs went 1-3, with the only win coming from the Daytona club.

Iowa 5 Albuquerque 6 Newly acquired prospect? Ramon Ortiz took the mound for the Cubs and pitched quite well pitching 5.2 innings striking out 7 and only giving up two runs. Ramon is by no means a spring chicken, but its nice to see him at least filling a spot in the rotation and pitching decently. Chris Carpenter came in and gave up two unearned runs and struck out 5 in only 2 innings. Scott Maine struggled in the 10th inning while trying to close out the game. Maine got through the 9th inning unscathed, but gave up two runs while only getting one out in the 10th to take the loss.

Offensively Tony Campana led the way with 3 hits in his 6 at bats, including a double. Bryan LaHair reached base three times via base on balls, and Jonathan Mota added a home run from the second base position.

Chattanooga 6 Tennessee 5 Brooks Raley really stuggled in his start only going 3.2 innings and gave up all 6 runs, with 5 of them being earned. Hung-Wen Chen put in 1.1 innings of scoreless work.

Brett Jackson continued to hit the ball going going 1-2 with a double and a walk. Josh Vitters and Steven Clevenger both went 1-3 with a home run.

Daytona 6 Clearwater 5 The high A ball club picked up the only win in the minors yesterday and Zachary Rosscup took the mound. Zack went 5 innings giving up 2 earned runs while striking out 5. Brent Ebinger went the final 4 innings giving up 3 runs, but only one earned.

Michael Burgess had a hell of a night grabbing five RBI’s off of 3 hits including two home runs. Matthew Cerda had another nice night reaching base 4 times all via the walk. Vincent Watkins also collected two stolen bases from the leadoff spot.

Peoria 2 Burlington 4 Graham Hicks took the rubber for the Chiefs and pitched fairly well. Graham went 4 innings only allowing one earned run, but unfortunately walked 6 batters and stuck out none. Juan Yasser Serrano threw three innings of one run ball only allowing two hits. Marcus Hatley pitched a scoreless 8th. The Chiefs pitchers did not strike out a single batter last night.

Matthew Szczur was the only Chief to accrue multiple hits. No Chiefs hit an extra base hit, and while the pitchers stuck out none the Chiefs struck out nine times on the offensive side.

Minor league player of the day: Gotta be Michael Burgess. He knocked in 5 runs and was the only player in the entire organization to have multiple extra base hits.

Minor league dud of the day: Brooks Raley struggled in his season debut going only 3.2 innings and giving up a half dozen runs. Hopefully the young lefty can bounce back in his next start.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Going to try things a little different today.

Albuquerque 18 Iowa 3

Peoria 8 Burlington 5

Daytona 5 Clearwater 1

How the top 10 prospects (according to Sickels) faired:

1. Brett Jackson DNP

2. Trey McNutt DNP

3. Chris Carpenter DNP

4. Jay Jackson DNP

5. Hayden Simpson 5.0 IP, 8 H, 5 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 2 K

6. Reggie Golden DNP

7. Josh Vitters DNP

8. Robinson Lopez DNP

9. Austin Reed DNP

10. Alberto Cabrera DNP

Slow night since Tennessee was off with alot of our top spects in AA. Simpson looks like he struggled in his second game, hopefully he can bounce back.

Notables:

Bryan LaHair: 3-4, 2B, K

Rubi Silva: 3-5 2 2B

Jae-Hoon Ha: 3-4, 2B

Junior Lake: 2-3, 2B, 3B

Stud of the Day: Robert Whitenack: 6.0 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 12 K

Dud of the Day: Thomas Diamond: 3.1 IP, 9 ER, 4 BB, 3 K

Cubs Minor League Recap (4/12/11) |

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Simpson was OK. He started off great but had troubles after that.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have a very strong feeling about Jae Hoon Ha. I saw him a couple times in Peoria last year. I think he has some potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.