2011 Draft, Bears Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

bossdrb

The Boss
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have an old-school approach. I like the smashmouth style of football, coaching, everything. In today's game, I realize that when you draft someone in the first round, they're going to start. However, I've never been a big fan of that for the simple fact, the rookies would be learning on the fly and when they get sat down, their confidence is shattered. (see Clausen) I also realize that our offensive line is a problem, especially with Kreutz and Garza aging. But, many HOF lineman were drafted in the latter rounds. The reason for this? If you have size, strength, and a work ethic; you can be worked with. Lineman just have to be taught footwork and technique, it's not as complicated compared to being a running back or wide out.

This brings me to my point: Mel Kiper believes Jake Locker will fall to the second or third rounds. IF he is available at the right time, I want to draft him.

Why?

Cutler is the type of quarterback where he relies strictly on his arm strength. Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Philip Rivers...they will all be fine in their mid thirties because they rely on accuracy and awareness, which doesn't fade by age.

I like Locker because he is a raw talent that will become dangerous in the NFL with coaching up for a trio of years or so. His release reminds me of Grossman's; quick and fast. He has Cutler's ability to throw outside of the pocket. He runs like Tebow (bad thing in the NFL, but I love it) He can throw deep efficiently, since that's basically all he does in Washington, which I love. Basically, Locker is a more athletic version of Steve Young, except right handed.

I know we wouldn't get him, but do you agree or disagree with my attempt at a speech? :smug:

MRN

MRNeverwearthesamething
Donator
Liked Posts:
If we don't draft OL for the first 4 rounds I will be pissed.

MRN

MRNeverwearthesamething
Donator
Liked Posts:
Linebacker in the second. Briggs & Urlacher are getting old.

No. Briggs is not getting old, Briggs is in his prime, we don't have to worry about him right now. Urlacher is getting old, but he still has a couple years left in him. I can't believe you think linebacker is a bigger concern than the offensive line.. :slap:

bossdrb

The Boss
Donator
Liked Posts:
No. Briggs is not getting old, Briggs is in his prime, we don't have to worry about him right now. Urlacher is getting old, but he still has a couple years left in him. I can't believe you think linebacker is a bigger concern than the offensive line.. :slap:

I said in the second round if Locker isn't available. Briggs is 30, which means he'll start to decline. He also has a lingering ankle issue. I never once said the linebackers were a bigger problem, I said that I'd like to get some depth there.

MRN

MRNeverwearthesamething
Donator
Liked Posts:
I said in the second round if Locker isn't available. Briggs is 30, which means he'll start to decline. He also has a lingering ankle issue. I never once said the linebackers were a bigger problem, I said that I'd like to get some depth there.

Yes, but the offensive line has been an issue for years, if we don't fix it, it won't even matter what our linebackers depth is.

bossdrb

The Boss
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes, but the offensive line has been an issue for years, if we don't fix it, it won't even matter what our linebackers depth is.

Ehh...I don't remember our offensive line being this critical since last year. But I agree.

Dmartin7652

Liked Posts:
The biggest problem with the bears is the lack of an impact defensive tackle, A shut down corner, A hard hitting saftey, then an offensive left lackle. The only way I would not draft at those positions is if a projected #1 reciever was available.

Relapse

Leddy > Cullimore
Liked Posts:
With the amount of high end talent at wideout this year there is a good chance that one of either AJ Green, Julio Jones, Michael Floyd, or Jonathan Baldwin is available when we pick. Offensive line is more of a need but the trend has been that NFL ready linemen go early and often and reaching for a first round player who cannot start right away is bad business. Cornerback is another position I would like to see addressed, one of the Texas corners, Aaron Williams or Curtis Brown, could be available when we select in the second round. I wouldn't mind drafting a "project" player with a high ceiling on the defensive line in the middle of the draft, someone like Sam Acho or Mike Blanc.

bossdrb

The Boss
Donator
Liked Posts:
The biggest problem with the bears is the lack of an impact defensive tackle, A shut down corner, A hard hitting saftey, then an offensive left lackle. The only way I would not draft at those positions is if a projected #1 reciever was available.

Chris Harris and Major Wright are two badass safeties.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
Chris Harris and Major Wright are two badass safeties.
Harris isn't good in coverage and Wright's best fit is at SS, but Manning looks entrenched there as they finally found a spot they can keep him at. Jake Locker would be a waste of a pick and he will not fall to the 3rd. The furthest I see him falling is mid-2nd. Also, "many HOF offensive lineman have been drafted late" is a terrible concept. Just because teams have struck gold w/ them in the late rounds doesn't mean you should only draft O-Line men late. The Bears need to use their 1st or 2nd round pick on an OG or a LT if the Bears are to stubborn close-minded to move Chris Williams back to LT. The Bears IMO also need a ball-hawking, rangy FS, and while I like Major Wright and he does have range he's not the rangy FS the Bears need. The Bears also need a pass rushing UT w/ Tommie Harris sapped of all play making ability.

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
A big/physical WR and Offensive linemen.

Wanting to draft a Quarterback is literally last on the list of concerns. Even behind punters and kickers. Are you high Dustin?

bossdrb

The Boss
Donator
Liked Posts:
A big/physical WR and Offensive linemen.

Wanting to draft a Quarterback is literally last on the list of concerns. Even behind punters and kickers. Are you high Dustin?

A bit. :smug:

My point is, if Locker was in the second round, would you take that opportunity to get him to develop in case things don't pan out?

bossdrb

The Boss
Donator
Liked Posts:
Harris isn't good in coverage and Wright's best fit is at SS, but Manning looks entrenched there as they finally found a spot they can keep him at.
I disagree. I've said before we make a SB run we'd need an Ed Reed at FS, but Harris needs to go to SS, Wright at FS. I said that once we got him and will continue to do so. Harris is a run stopper, as well Wright but he's more athletic.

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
A bit. :smug:

My point is, if Locker was in the second round, would you take that opportunity to get him to develop in case things don't pan out?

No.

You don't waste a high draft pick on the off chance Cutler doesn't pan out. WR/OL/LB

Relapse

Leddy > Cullimore
Liked Posts:
Are we seriously discussing drafting a quarterback in the early rounds of the draft? Jay Cutler has every disadvantage going for him with a bad offensive line, an inconsistent and mostly ineffective running game, and a mediocre receiving core. I would put Jay in the top 10 quarterbacks in the NFL right now, around 9th or 10th, and he has gone through three different offensive systems the last three years. Also take into account Cutler is only 27 years old and I would think it is safe to say the starting quarterback position is not a pressing issue to address for a long time.

Relapse

Leddy > Cullimore
Liked Posts:
I disagree. I've said before we make a SB run we'd need an Ed Reed at FS, but Harris needs to go to SS, Wright at FS. I said that once we got him and will continue to do so. Harris is a run stopper, as well Wright but he's more athletic.

Prior to this season I despised seeing Danieal Manning on the field. He is having his first good season as a professional and you're ready to replace him? Not only is he having a good season but he has been a very complete player and has been excellent. I agree with the previous poster that Major Wright does not have the range to play free safety and his skill set fits him best at strong safety.

Pre

Liked Posts:
If the first round pick isn't the best offensive lineman on the board, Jerry Angelo needs to be taken back behind Halas Hall and beaten to death with a lead pipe.

JJ-28

Liked Posts:
Ok first off I don't see us wasting our frist round pick on a O linemen. This isn't that great of a class of O linemen, but a great class of top WR. I see us going after a big play, not a #1 that so many want WR. Round 2 & 3 and maybe a later round pick will go to O linemen and then the moving on to the defesive side of the ball. There is no reason especially after this years draft to pick a QB in this draft, it would only turn out to to be another wasted pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.