2013 Draft Worst in Decades | Article

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2013/12/2013_draft_class_no_1_pick_ben.html

From the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

CLEVELAND, Ohio – Remember, first of all, that it's still very early. Only about a quarter of the season has been played and it's difficult to judge much from a mere handful of games.
Still, in that amount of time, it's also possible to have opinions.
And the general view on this 2013 NBA draft class is that last spring's predictions were spot-on: it truly is one of the worst in years.
That goes for much-maligned No. 1 pick Anthony Bennett, too, as the Cavaliers forward has struggled to find a way to score points while shooting 28 percent, and has had trouble even cracking the rotation to get on the court in averaging 10 minutes of action per game. The Cavaliers say Bennett wouldn't see much action even if dominating, though, because they want to bring him along slowly and are committed to veterans who can help them win now.
"It's very early," ESPN.com analyst Chad Ford cautions, "but right now, he's looking like the worst in the past 20 years. That includes Greg Oden. Oden was injured all the time, but when he played, he at least looked like a No. 1 pick."

But looking at the draft class, what were better options at No. 1? As much as Bennett's early struggles have been painful to watch, it's difficult to point to any rookie who is an unquestioned success.
Maybe Victor Oladipo, the No. 2 pick who has blossomed for Orlando in averaging 13.3 points, 4.5 rebounds and 3.4 assists in 31.6 minutes. But would he have found minutes in a Cleveland backcourt that already includes Kyrie Irving and Dion Waiters?

Four other top 10 picks have not taken the court or have played very sparingly because of injury: Nerlens Noel (No. 6) is out for the season while still recovering from ACL surgery, Alex Len (No. 5) has managed just four games for Phoenix because of pain in a surgically repaired ankle.
Otto Porter Jr. (No. 3) has just begun to get on the court with Washington after a strained right hip flexor kept him out for the early months of the season, and C.J. McCollum (No. 10) is just returning for Portland after a fractured bone in his left foot.
Is it really as bad as it seems?
"Yes," Ford said via email. "Really, only Victor Oladipo and Michael Carter-Williams are proving to be valuable starters at the moment. A few others like Trey Burke, Mason Plumlee, Tim Hardaway Jr. and Steven Adams have been solid. Giannis Antetokounmpo looks like he might be a big star down the road. But all of those players except Oladipo weren't even in the conversation for the No. 1 pick."
Ben McLemore (No. 7) has been decent in Sacramento (9.3 points, 3.2 rebounds 1.1 assists). As has Kentavious Caldwell-Pope (No. 8) in Detroit (7.3 points, 2.3 rebounds, 0.9 assist). And Trey Burke (No. 9) has been very solid in Utah (12.8 points, 3.5 rebounds, 5.0 assists in 29.2 minutes).
But the only rookie worth talking about this season is the No. 11 pick, Michael Carter-Williams in Philadelphia. He's averaging 17.5 points, 5.6 rebounds and 7.5 assists in 36.6 minutes and making all the teams with top-10 picks look silly.

"I think we knew Michael Carter-Williams had the potential to be a star," Ford said. "But I don't think anyone, including me, thought he'd take off this fast. There's a legitimate argument that he's been the second best point guard in the East behind John Wall."
The bright side in all this, perhaps, is that things can only get better for this draft class, right? It can't get worse?
And that goes for Bennett, too, who admittedly entered training camp out of shape after a summer spent not playing basketball while he recovered from shoulder surgery.
"It's a huge transition from college to the pros," Ford said. "The game is so much faster. Even if you are in shape, it's a major learning curve. But when you come in like he did, there was just no way he could keep up.
"I think he and the Cavs need to swallow their pride, go to the D-League, get his confidence back, get him back in playing shape and then give him a fresh start. The talent is there. I didn't think he was the No. 1 pick, but I do think he was very talented. He's going to be better than this."

Thoughts?

We were all pretty sure Bennett was a meh #1 overall in a meh draft...but worst in decades?

And, who here would take MCW (or Wall, for that matter) over Kyrie Irving?

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Too soon to call. However, 2000 was pretty fuckin awful.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
Lol it's written by someone out of Cleveland, I sense a lot of bias due to the fact Bennett hasn't done anything yet. My first problem with this article is that we aren't even 30 games into their rookie seasons yet. #2 with a lot of top guys from that draft being injured and having not even played yet, how the fuck can we just write them off already?

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Injuries kinda skew the perspective, but I'll at least agree that this class hasn't been very exciting thus far. That could change soon for all we know though.

scottiepippen1994

Liked Posts:
Lol it's written by someone out of Cleveland, I sense a lot of bias due to the fact Bennett hasn't done anything yet. My first problem with this article is that we aren't even 30 games into their rookie seasons yet. #2 with a lot of top guys from that draft being injured and having not even played yet, how the fuck can we just write them off already?

incon.gif

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
:lol: .... we're fucking 25 games into the season and we're ready to decide that these players have zero chance to improve. I think there are several guys in this draft who look like they have a chance to become solid contributors and have long, prosperous careers. CJ McCallum and Nerlens Noel have yet to play a minute. Nobody every thought this draft would be loaded with Hall of Fame-caliber talent, but guys like Victor Oladipo, Michael Carter-Williams, Trey Burke and Giannis Antetokounmpo have all shown All-Star level talent.