2014 NBA Draft database (Mocks, player profiles, etc)

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
My priorities are in order of importance: Shooting guard, small forward, and C/PF

At 16 I would like Stauskus or Harris. They have difference skills but both would play minutes in 2015.

At 19 I would take Saric or Anderson

With the 2nd round pick, if they can land someone like the Austin kid and any of the guys above it would indeed a draft in which all of
the draft picks would play valuable minutes. Throw in Mirotic and you really would have a great young bench.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Stauskas would be a coup. I'm not a huge fan of Stauskas the player, but him and Rodney Hood can flat-out shoot. We need shooters. It's been the biggest glaring need on this roster since Kyle Korver left. And even then, Korver was never the volume shooter/scorer that puts the Bulls in a position to topple Miami in the East. What's interesting about this draft for the Bulls is that, much like a Bulls, several of their roster issues can be immediately supplemented in the draft. To me, they desperately need shooting (floor spacing), a reliable offensive option that can become a primary scoring option for long stretches, a backup center, and potentially a backup point guard if Augustin provides to be too costly once free agency hits.

They're going to have options at #16. Somebody out of that late-lottery group is going to drop a bit. I think somebody will be antsy and snag McDermott, and I think Gary Harris (who's my favorite guy the Bulls have a somewhat realistic chance at landing because of how developed he is as a two-way player) has had too much production during his time at Michigan State to fall out of the lottery. It leaves Stauskas and Hood as two obvious possibilities at 16. I lean a bit more towards Hood because his size is fantastic and he has the ability to score from anywhere from the floor. That skill pays dividends in today's NBA when you consider how many teams want scorers who can perform in insolation.

I honestly wouldn't be mad if they went with another shooter at 19 because the lack of shooting is so horrific and really showed down the stretch against Washington in the playoffs, but a guy like Elfrid Payton would be a preferred choice for me. He kind of reminds me of a poor man's John Wall -- excellent size at the point, elite speed, ability to get teammates involved and a developing offensive game. Payton would be an instant boner for Thibs because he's one of the best defensive guards in the draft. If they went Hood then Payton, I'd be ecstatic. That'd sure up two glaring needs on the roster, which saves them coin going into free agency, meaning a run at somebody like Carmelo is more likely.
I don't think we have a shot in the world at Gary Harris unless we move up...likely the same with Hood and Stauskas, though Stauskas could drop to us depending on how workouts go and if other teams opt for more athletic prospects. In any case, I think anyone in their mold would fill a huge need for us. We need scorers. Period. I think more so than just a standard Mike Dunleavy type shooter, we need a Jamal Crawford type scorer. Shooters would be great, but if no one can create a shot for them, they're useless, much like Korver was against the Heat.

czman

Liked Posts:
At this point the draft is probably still to fluid to have much of an idea who will be available to the Bulls. The 10-19 range can probably go in a lot of different orders. We will have a better idea in a month.

Johnnyt237

Liked Posts:
James Young from Kentucky improved as the year went on. He showed he can put the ball on the floor and get his shot in the tourny and that he can flat out stroke the three. Stauskas would be a good pick up but I like Young more I think he's alittle more athletic. I think both with be good find for the Bulls with the 16th pick if either of them are there.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The fact that many people on this board came up with very viable guys that the Bulls can get is, I think, a great example of the strength
of this draft. I think that after the top 3-4 guys, it is all a crap shoot. I think that the Bulls, if they are smart can get a good SG and SF in the first round
who can be just as good as anyone from 5-15. I do agree with several here who have said that whoever they draft has got to be able to shoot the ball
from the arc. I do like Stauskus. I do like Harris. I do like Hood. I do like Saric. I do like some other guys. And I trust that Thibs and Forman will figure out how to land
a couple of difference makers in this draft. I also like some of the potential of the centers and point guards likely to be there for them in the 2nd round.

Hopefully, there have been top secret discussions between Melo and the Bulls. A key will be, I think, who they draft. If they draft a C/PF and a point
guard in the first round, I think that they are really sure that Melo is going to sign with them because obviously those would not be their priorities
were he not going to sign.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The type of player I would like the most (ideally) is a large guard with point guard and off-ball skills who can defend starting NBA 2-guards and has above-average 3 point shooting ability (then move Jimmy Butler to the 3 and let him be a lesser paid-version of Deng).

The Bulls already will likely have 3 players to fill the PF-C positions (Joakim Noah, Taj Gibson, Nikola Mirotic). What the Bulls need is an athletic wing player. Half-court offense is going to be a weakness but if they have fast-break-friendly players, at least they can get some easy baskets once in a while.

So for their first pick: realistically, a wing player.
their second pick: the best point guard possible

Last edited:

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Was skimming through ESPN's rumors section today and I saw a blurb that compared Kyle Anderson to Boris Diaw. The thought intrigued me since Anderson shares a lot of the same traits as Diaw.

What do you guys think? Would Anderson be better suited down the line as kind of a Boris Diaw type forward, instead of a Shaun Livingston type PG?

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Was skimming through ESPN's rumors section today and I saw a blurb that compared Kyle Anderson to Boris Diaw. The thought intrigued me since Anderson shares a lot of the same traits as Diaw.

What do you guys think? Would Anderson be better suited down the line as kind of a Boris Diaw type forward, instead of a Shaun Livingston type PG?
I have a man-crush on Kyle Anderson, so my opinion is skewed no matter what.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
Anderson was never gonna play at the PG position in the league

with how quick PG's are they would blow past him with ease

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I've watched Anderson and think that he is more a 3 than a 2. He's got a lot of skill for a 3. Not sure he could hack it as a 2.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Anderson was never gonna play at the PG position in the league

with how quick PG's are they would blow past him with ease
Well...point forward really I guess. But yeah I get what you're saying. I suppose I was getting at the role more than the actual position itself. Obviously playing at the PG position, he doesn't cut it athletically, but he could still play a PG role in an offense.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
NBADraft.net:

Jordan Clarkson G- Mizz

Adreian Payne F- MSU

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
NBADraft.net:

Jordan Clarkson G- Mizz

Adreian Payne F- MSU

are those the players we are picking for Denver?

nik-stauskas-girlfriend-taylor-anderson-30.png

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
Uh, am I missing something. To all the guys proposing the Bulls draft a SG with #16, who backs up Taj at PF with Boozer gone? Please don't tell me Mirotic, who cannot guard NBA PFs. Whatever offense he gives us at the 4 would be negated by lack of size and quickness on the defensive end.

maxdosres23

Liked Posts:
He's 6-10 with a 7-1 wingspan. I get that he is probably going to come into the NBA weighing only 220 tops, but he is a hard working big that can hold his own if he cam off the bench. A lot of the bigs coming in this rookie class (other than the top bigs) are about that size. He needs to put on weight but he won't be behind any other first year player. With his 6-10 height and big wingspan he will be no worse of a defender than boozer.

maxdosres23

Liked Posts:
He might not play PG, but he will play the 3 and handle the ball. He obviously needs to work on his size and speed but I feel that he can make it work on the defensive end if he is in the right system. A second unit lineup where he can play wing and handle the ball would be cool.

Boris Diaw came into the NBA as a point/forward at 6-8 203lbs. Anderson is 6-8 230lb. Give him a couple years and he will make a solid player for a good team. He has all the attributes to be a great glue player. Maybe he doesn't have the WOW upside, but he could turn into more than a glue guy.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Uh, am I missing something. To all the guys proposing the Bulls draft a SG with #16, who backs up Taj at PF with Boozer gone? Please don't tell me Mirotic, who cannot guard NBA PFs. Whatever offense he gives us at the 4 would be negated by lack of size and quickness on the defensive end.

Yeah. You are missing something. The guy is 6'11" and has a 7'1" wingspan. He also has probably more quickness than 90% of the PFs in the league. The guy is a freak and while not a great leaper, he plays tough and doesn't mind contact. I think that the guy will be an all-star.