2014 NBA Playoffs Discussion Thread

Who will win the championship?

• Total voters

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
While I can't argue that the West was stacked (though its more stacked now) and those 8 seeds did indeed have winning records (both were 42-40)....The Mavericks won 67 games and had 25 more wins than the Warriors and the Sonics had 21 more wins than the Nuggets. The Pacers have 18 more wins than the Hawks and have obviously been struggling the last two months of the season.

After thinkings about it further though. what probably goes against the Pacers even more so though is the fact the Hawks don't even have their best player.
Ding ding ding.

Those Nuggets and Warriors teams IMO were actually good though. This Hawks team is just a pile of suck really beating up on a team with a guy who got MVP votes, An All Star Center, and a team that was/is supposed to challenge the two time defending NBA champion. The Warriors and Nuggets were bad matchups in someways for the Mavs/Sonics from a strategic POV. The Hawks are just creaming the Pacers right now for no other reason than the Pacers seem to be self destructing..which in part makes it an even more terrible collapse. I can somewhat excuse losing games if the chess pieces aren't in your favor, but not when the Pacers are doing what they are.

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Pacers collapse is the worst for a #1 seed since Dirk's Mavericks in 2007. If you watched those Warriors-Mavericks games though you could see that upset coming a mile away. The Sonics upset in 94 was probably worse than this Pacers team too since the Pacers struggled so badly down the stretch and their All-Star center, supposedly one of the best centers in the NBA, suddenly looks like he doesn't belong in the NBA.

I disagree- this would be the worse collapse from a #1 seed ever. That Nuggets team almost took down the Jazz in G7 the next round and won 42 games in a great Western Conference that year. The Warriors also won 42 games and had a healthy Baron Davis in beating the Mavs.

This Hawks team has no business being in any playoffs ever. They won 38 games in maybe the worst a conference has ever been....the Pacers should blow up everything should they lose this series (around George anyway).

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I disagree- this would be the worse collapse from a #1 seed ever. That Nuggets team almost took down the Jazz in G7 the next round and won 42 games in a great Western Conference that year. The Warriors also won 42 games and had a healthy Baron Davis in beating the Mavs.

This Hawks team has no business being in any playoffs ever. They won 38 games in maybe the worst a conference has ever been....the Pacers should blow up everything should they lose this series (around George anyway).

Agreed as I conceded in another post..

But the East has had worse years 10 years ago the east was probably at its worst. The #4 seed was 42-40, #5 and #6 were 41-41, #7 was 39-43, and #8 was 36-46. 2006-07 wasn't much better with the #1 seed winning only 53 games. And for the past several years the 8 seed has failed to win 41 games in the East.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
My goodness. Where do they get these refs anyway? Pick and Save?

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
17 missed layups in three quarters? Amazing.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Nice toss on the jump ball, ref. They are playing 5 against 8 tonight.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well, once again, the Bulls lose an important player. Gibson rolls his ankle. Unbelievable how snake-biten this team is

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
Rockets/Blazers is best the first round match up since Bulls/Celtics in 09

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They just played a thing about 8 seeds defeating 1 seeds during the Pacers-Hawks game. We were the last team shown. I don't have audio for the game, but I do hope they noted the fact that we lost our two best players in that series and that we still haven't recovered from that devastation.

Yes. I'm a little salty at the moment

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
The Hawks finish games like we do.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
They just played a thing about 8 seeds defeating 1 seeds during the Pacers-Hawks game. We were the last team shown. I don't have audio for the game, but I do hope they noted the fact that we lost our two best players in that series and that we still haven't recovered from that devastation.

They did not say that.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls

People that hear that mockery, fully understand we lost an MVP and a perennial candidate/future DPOY. I wouldn't get too riled up about it.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
People that hear that mockery, fully understand we lost an MVP and a perennial candidate/future DPOY. I wouldn't get too riled up about it.
I think it was just the clip of the Sixers celebration that got to me. It was a clip of Taj lying under the basket after the game and Iggy up on the scorer's table with confetti everywhere. Brought back bad memories.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
If Paul George gets suspended I will lose respect for Adam Silver.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
Under David Stern this was always zero tolerance.

David Stern was a douche. If someone leaves the bench and gets involved, then that's one thing. I can't see suspending someone for standing up and walking 1 foot away from the bench. He gifted the Spurs a win in 07, hopefully that doesn't happen again.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
David Stern was a douche. If someone leaves the bench and gets involved, then that's one thing. I can't see suspending someone for standing up and walking 1 foot away from the bench. He gifted the Spurs a win in 07, hopefully that doesn't happen again.
The Suns led by 16 at one point game 5 without Diaw and Stoudamire. Its their own fault they blew that game. If San Antonio had led in a blow out the entire way, I could say that Stern gifted them.

Stoudamire and Diaw marched much more closer off the bench than George did in this instance anyways. Stoudamire made a concerted effort to try and get by the action.

George is maybe 3-5 off the bench and that could classify as "within the vicinity of the bench" according to the rule.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
mnota has fit well with mavs this season

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
The Suns led by 16 at one point game 5 without Diaw and Stoudamire. Its their own fault they blew that game. If San Antonio had led in a blow out the entire way, I could say that Stern gifted them.

Stoudamire and Diaw marched much more closer off the bench than George did in this instance anyways. Stoudamire made a concerted effort to try and get by the action.

George is maybe 3-5 off the bench and that could classify as "within the vicinity of the bench" according to the rule.

If you get up and don't do anything to provoke or get in the fight itself, it shouldn't be an issue. Amare was arguably the best player on that team, I think that was the season he was 1st team all NBA. I'd think that they win that game pretty easy with him.

That being said, I'm glad Silver decided not to suspend anyone from the Hawks Pacers. Stern would have suspended scott, hill, george, and watson.