2014 NHL Draft

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
ekblad was compared to Seabs. I mean that's great and all, but as a 1st overall pick? Work on that foot speed kid!!

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="the hanadian dreamzues" data-cid="233317" data-time="1403918226">
<div>

schmaltz is a good pick. going to take a while for his development but other than that good pick. im happy enough. never an issue taking centers</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Sure it is when we have so many. Personally, while I like Schmaltz and think he's a decent choice, I don't really like trading up for this choice at all when Fabbri was still on the board at the time. 

It wasn't a position of "need" when there's glaring areas elsewhere... like G. After Rantaa and maybe Whitney, who else do we have in the system worth talking about? 

What this pick tells me is that either they have their centers (other than 2C) set, they're using a C as trade bait, or they have no clue about who should be the 2C, so they're playing musical lines in the minors.... </p>

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
Schmaltz played for the Chicago Mission for his first two years if midget hockey. Pretty much the premier AAA program in IL hockey (Hartman, Buff are two Hawks alum of the program).

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
The Hawks went after the best player available. Why waste another draft pick on a center who is 3-4 years out when you could get the forsure BPA? The Hawks are really lacking skilled forwards in the pipeline outside of TT. This kid has 4 years to develop and put on weight at ND. NCAA hockey is on the rise.

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
good pick by the canucks. thats odd. another kid that needs good grooming time but this kids no bad character and will probably be a solid second line center in the future and def a good third.</p>

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="CLWolf81" data-cid="233324" data-time="1403919316">
<div>

Sure it is when we have so many. Personally, while I like Schmaltz and think he's a decent choice, I don't really like trading up for this choice at all when Fabbri was still on the board at the time. 

It wasn't a position of "need" when there's glaring areas elsewhere... like G. 

What this pick tells me is that either they have their centers (other than 2C) set, they're using a C as trade bait, or they have no clue about who should be the 2C, so they're playing musical lines in the minors.... </p>
</div>
</blockquote>

he wouldnt have landed at 27 nor would have fabbri. trading up was smart. i love fabbri but i dont think the hawks like small centers.</p>

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="the hanadian dreamzues" data-cid="233328" data-time="1403919609">
<div>

he wouldnt have landed at 27 nor would have fabbri. trading up was smart. i love fabbri but i dont think the hawks like small centers.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

I'm guessing 5'11" doesn't count? Tell that to TT.</p>

</p>

Fabbri is 5'10".... </p>

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
Wonder if the Hawks try and get into the 2nd round as we wasted that pick on Runblad. Have 3 5th rounders. Maybe send a player to key up some cap space.

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Trev" data-cid="233329" data-time="1403919680">
<div>

I'm surprised Kapanen had fallen so far and the Hawks didn't take him.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

I was surprised about that also. I would have loved to have Kapanen's son on this team.... but he's a Penguin... ugh I should have seen that coming. </p>

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="CLWolf81" data-cid="233330" data-time="1403919810">
<div>

I'm guessing 5'11" doesn't count? Tell that to TT.</p>

</p>

Fabbri is 5'10".... </p>
</div>
</blockquote>

errr TT is 25 lbs heavier. size doesnt mean only height. both still have lots of weight to yet put on but TT is naturally a lot larger than Fabbri. </p>

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:
True.... but with all the C's we have, we could have either waited on Fabbri, or kept him competitive with everyone else we have at C. 

With Schmaltz, we'll have to wait til he's out of North Dakota. That could be 3-4 years.</p>

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
not many blueliners going as tsn just stated. going to be some future stars on the blueline going in the second and thirds. im not against the hawks searching for a trade to get a second rounder.</p>

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="CLWolf81" data-cid="233334" data-time="1403920206">
<div>

True.... but with all the C's we have, we could have either waited on Fabbri, or kept him competitive with everyone else we have at C. 

With Schmaltz, we'll have to wait til he's out of North Dakota. That could be 3-4 years.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

shows the faith they have in TT to break the lineup this season or next. no problems waiting on schmaltz.</p>

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="the hanadian dreamzues" data-cid="233336" data-time="1403920387">
<div>

shows the faith they have in TT to break the lineup this season or next. no problems waiting on schmaltz.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Indeed it does. I just hope he's ready.</p>

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="CLWolf81" data-cid="233337" data-time="1403920489">
<div>

Indeed it does. I just hope he's ready.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

just as long as fans know there will be growing pains and rookie mistakes i think he will be fine.</p>

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="the hanadian dreamzues" data-cid="233338" data-time="1403920566">
<div>

just as long as fans know there will be growing pains and rookie mistakes i think he will be fine.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Tell that to the bandwagon jumpers who go to the games every night and force me to go on road trips as a result. </p>

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
I have confidence that the Hawks will make the best decision for TT.

That said, I think he's going to get every chance he can for a spot on the roster.

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Trev" data-cid="233341" data-time="1403920875">
<div>

I have confidence that the Hawks will make the best decision for TT.

That said, I think he's going to get every chance he can for a spot on the roster.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

At the expense of who? We still are over the cap, are we not?</p>