CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
How is their door closing?

I didn’t say it was. I said it might be. Doors close abruptly all the time. Bulls seemed destined to be contenders for a decade with a young mvp rose...we all know how that turned out. Whatever happened to Tatum time btw?

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
1600957530669.png
Payroll wise, they have at least one more year with basically the same team. Tatum is up for an extension after next year, and in 2021-22 it'll basically be Walker/Tatum/Brown while they'll need to acquire other aspects at that point. Smart to me is a trade piece for some kind of big that they're lacking.

If they don't suffer any injuries, they can go on for a long time. But also at some point, when do you start to question if Brad Stevens has what it takes to get this team over the hump?

And Tatum.. good player.. tier 2 to me as he hasn't stood out as a Superstar yet (though I have strict criteria on what a Superstar is).

Last edited:

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
View attachment 7102
Playroll wise, they have at least one more year with basically the same team. Tatum is up for an extension after next year, and in 2021-22 it'll basically be Walker/Tatum/Brown while they'll need to acquire other aspects at that point. Smart to me is a trade piece for some kind of big that they're lacking.

If they don't suffer any injuries, they can go on for a long time. But also at some point, when do you start to question if Brad Stevens has what it takes to get this team over the hump?

And Tatum.. good player.. tier 2 to me as he hasn't stood out as a Superstar yet (though I have strict criteria on what a Superstar is).

yeah, I mean Gordon hayward will definitely be picking up his player option for 34 mil. Then tatums extension will pick up that money when it comes off the books, leaving them zero wiggle room in FA. So either the nucleus of Tatum, brown, and walker can win a title or it can’t. thats the question I think the Celtics need to ask themselves along with brad Stevens questions after getting thoroughly out coached so far by Spo.

meanwhile, other teams will get better. New stars will emerge. doors shut quickly in sports.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
yeah, I mean Gordon hayward will definitely be picking up his player option for 34 mil. Then tatums extension will pick up that money when it comes off the books, leaving them zero wiggle room in FA. So either the nucleus of Tatum, brown, and walker can win a title or it can’t. thats the question I think the Celtics need to ask themselves along with brad Stevens questions after getting thoroughly out coached so far by Spo.

meanwhile, other teams will get better. New stars will emerge. doors shut quickly in sports.
Yep. They'll be competitive in the East for sure for at least a few more seasons. Couple of key factors is how much does Durant/Kyrie change things in the East, and what Milwaukee does this offseason.

You also just never know who's going to make a move either.

Short of Tatum actually leaping to superstar status, I think Boston may be hindered in the future.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I personally don't question Stevens. For the most part, he's either met or exceeded expectations in Boston so far.

The first time they made the ECF, it was shocking that they were the 1st seed that year and even made the ECF. Obviously, Isiah Thomas blowing up for nearly 30 PPG helped. Of course, they wound up losing to Cleveland in 5 games, but Thomas got injured in game 2, and they really had no one else on offense.

The second time they made it to the ECF, they got there without having their best player (Irving) in the playoffs. And they pushed Cleveland to 7 games in the process. Can't say that an undermanned team losing to LBJ and the Cavs in a 7 game series is on Stevens.

This year, I think most people expected them to lose in the ECF to Milwaukee. They made it, but they're losing to Miami.. So probably the first time he's not meeting expectations. But even still, it's not like they're getting completely slaughtered. They've lost 3 games by a total of 11 points. Miami has just been playing better and hitting their shots.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I personally don't question Stevens. For the most part, he's either met or exceeded expectations in Boston so far.

The first time they made the ECF, it was shocking that they were the 1st seed that year and even made the ECF. Obviously, Isiah Thomas blowing up for nearly 30 PPG helped. Of course, they wound up losing to Cleveland in 5 games, but Thomas got injured in game 2, and they really had no one else on offense.

The second time they made it to the ECF, they got there without having their best player (Irving) in the playoffs. And they pushed Cleveland to 7 games in the process. Can't say that an undermanned team losing to LBJ and the Cavs in a 7 game series is on Stevens.

This year, I think most people expected them to lose in the ECF to Milwaukee. They made it, but they're losing to Miami.. So probably the first time he's not meeting expectations. But even still, it's not like they're getting completely slaughtered. They've lost 3 games by a total of 11 points. Miami has just been playing better and hitting their shots.

I don’t think anyone is suggesting Stevens is a bad coach. Just questioning if he’s the guy to get them over the hump and get a ring.

also, the Kyrie injury was probably a blessing lol

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

Doesn't matter, after a certain amount of time, you lose patients and try a different approach. Has happened with every team that didn't have Jerry Sloan as a coach.

Also its been pretty well proven Boston played better without Irving. So I think that Boston squad had a good chance to beat LeBron and the weakened Cavs. They even had a 3-2 lead.. but lost the final two games. The 2016-17 version, I don't think anyone thought would be Cleveland. The 2017-18 version definitely had a shot.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Doesn't matter, after a certain amount of time, you lose patients and try a different approach. Has happened with every team that didn't have Jerry Sloan as a coach.

Also its been pretty well proven Boston played better without Irving. So I think that Boston squad had a good chance to beat LeBron and the weakened Cavs. They even had a 3-2 lead.. but lost the final two games. The 2016-17 version, I don't think anyone thought would be Cleveland. The 2017-18 version definitely had a shot.

I don't disagree, I'm just saying at this point, I don't question Stevens. He hasn't had enough slip ups for me to get to that point. Now, if he makes the ECF the next couple of years and doesn't pull through, then yeah, I'd probably question him. I can't knock him for not winning when they weren't even favored to win, though.

I get what you and @knoxville7 are saying about Irving being out. Yeah, in some ways they were better.
But at the start of those playoffs, I don't remember many (or any) people thinking Boston was going to get to the ECF with a rookie Tatum, 2nd year Brown, 2nd year Smart, etc. Outside of Horford, who wasn't even a dominant offensive force, that team was very young and inexperienced. I actually thought it was an excellent coaching job to have them that ready despite limited experience.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Boston is an extremely deep team. Tatum is going to be a star. You are looking for Jaylen Brown to keep taking steps. Kemba has had a weird playoffs. Romeo Langford is a player not to sleep on. Their bench is stout for the next few years. This team is extremely young. They arent going anywhere. It takes time to learn how to win in the NBA

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I don't disagree, I'm just saying at this point, I don't question Stevens. He hasn't had enough slip ups for me to get to that point. Now, if he makes the ECF the next couple of years and doesn't pull through, then yeah, I'd probably question him. I can't knock him for not winning when they weren't even favored to win, though.

I get what you and @knoxville7 are saying about Irving being out. Yeah, in some ways they were better.
But at the start of those playoffs, I don't remember many (or any) people thinking Boston was going to get to the ECF with a rookie Tatum, 2nd year Brown, 2nd year Smart, etc. Outside of Horford, who wasn't even a dominant offensive force, that team was very young and inexperienced. I actually thought it was an excellent coaching job to have them that ready despite limited experience.
I don't disagree with any of this.. though with the roster this year, they should beat Miami, on paper. I'm not saying fire him after this season either, just figure he's gotta be on thinner ice eventually here.

Boston is an extremely deep team. Tatum is going to be a star. You are looking for Jaylen Brown to keep taking steps. Kemba has had a weird playoffs. Romeo Langford is a player not to sleep on. Their bench is stout for the next few years. This team is extremely young. They arent going anywhere. It takes time to learn how to win in the NBA

Tatum already is a star.

They're really only solid for one more year, after that questions begin to shore up, but we also don't know what they'll do any offseason, so who knows.

As knoxville says, the window can close soon. It can also stay open longer.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

but I thought this was tatums year?! ?

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
The Celtics arent down 3-1 cause of Tatum. lol

just asking cuz you were so sure Boston would advance with ease to the finals. And Tatum putting up a goose egg in the first half last night when he’s the star player, I’d say that’s blame worthy when you’re the star

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
just asking cuz you were so sure Boston would advance with ease to the finals. And Tatum putting up a goose egg in the first half last night when he’s the star player, I’d say that’s blame worthy when you’re the star
I said Boston in 6. lol And another lol at Tatum

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Am I supposed to be impressed by his numbers this series?! He’s shooting 40% and a paltry 23.5% from 3. He hasn’t lived up to star status this series
He is shooting 45.6% FG and 24.6% 3. He is averaging 26 PPG, 10.5REB, 5.8 AST. It isnt him bruh. lol

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
He is shooting 45.6% FG and 24.6% 3. He is averaging 26 PPG, 10.5REB, 5.8 AST. It isnt him bruh. lol

wrong...he’s shooting 40% according to your own link. And I’m not putting it all on him. But it was supposedly going to be “Tatum time” and he hasn’t lived up to that type of hype. Those are awful shooting numbers for a star player.

B621F3B2-FF23-4826-8E2D-036DACC86542.jpeg

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
You're all wrong:

1600978238757.png

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
wrong...he’s shooting 40% according to your own link. And I’m not putting it all on him. But it was supposedly going to be “Tatum time” and he hasn’t lived up to that type of hype. Those are awful shooting numbers for a star player.

View attachment 7118
Reading is fundamental when you trying to prove a point. Its wrong. They have that as 2 games.