2021 Mock Offseason [Bye Week]

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I give you credit for doing this. I could not be bothered putting one minute of work into this right now. I am at an all time Bears low in disgust.

And just seeing your QB depth chart right now is even a bigger reason to lack any motivation.

doctorbear

Liked Posts:
Draft

*Trade: The Chicago Bears trade 1[14] and 3[78] to the Atlanta Falcons for 1[10] and a 5th round pick. Pace cannot help himself, he has shown he gets blinders and bids against himself because he has to have his guy. #conviction.

1[10] QB Kyle Trask [Florida] 6'5" 240lbs.

Trask is a lot of things that the Bears QBs are not, and that is a very good thing. He is poised in the pocket, he reads defense well, and he throws an accurate ball, all things the Bears QBs have largely been incapable of doing. He has way more athletic ability than Foles and can manipulate the pocket without looking like an injured toddler. He does not have a cannon of an arm, which is a little surprising for a guy his size, but he has the touch, timing and varied speed to be a very good NFL passer. Trask is having an incredible year and just steadily shows more and more improvement. He might not be the #1 QB in the draft but he is worthy of building around.

kyle-trask-orange-arky-uaa.jpg

2[46] OT Jaylen Mayfield [Michigan] 6'5" 319lbs.

Juan Castillo, the OL magic man who fixed the 2020 OL with nothing but Germain Ifedi and want to, worked with Mayfield at Michigan and there is a connection there that can be valuable in scouting. Even a complete moron like Ryan Pace knows he needs to invest in the OL, even if he doesn't want to, if just for optics sake. Trask is not the most mobile or elusive QB in the draft class and he will actually need some protection. Mayfield is a solid athlete, although he is probably a RT only in the NFL, and he has the attitude and heavy hands that the OL is missing. He should come in and upgrade the athletic ability at RT.

GettyImages-1177482943-e1597798375805.jpg

*Trade: The Chicago Bears franchise tag and trade WR Allen Robinson to the NY Jets for 3[84] and 5[2022]. Robinson does not want to be in Chicago and the Bears cannot really afford to keep him without further damaging the cap and moving old defensive money back. Deal him this year instead of waiting on the comp pick. The Jets need a proven weapon for Lawrence and they have tons of cap space.

3[84] WR Kadarius Toney [Florida] 5'11" 195lbs.

Losing Robinson sucks, but Pace mangled the cap with his moronic signings of Quinn, Graham and Foles. The Bears need to add WRs that can run and create big plays and Toney has been a big play machine this season. He is undersized and a little raw as a WR but he is athletic and dynamic and can line up in a ton of spots and make plays. Florida has also used him in the backfield and on jet sweeps which we know Nagy won't take out of his playbook, but maybe we can make them actually work?

9955044.jpg

5. C/OG Landon Dickerson [Alabama] 6'5" 325lbs.

Cody Whitehair has followed in the proud tradition of Long, Leno, Massie and as soon as he gets paid by Ryan Pace he has pretty much sucked. Whitehair has been awful this season and they need to get some competition in here in case this continues. Dickerson is a massive mauling interior OLmen who has starts at OG and C and can be developed and either spot as a long term replacement for someone or, here is hoping, to grab a starting spot right away. Dikcerson is not as athletic as guys like Whitehair and Daniels, but we do not need more athletes we need some damn people movers and that is what he is.

9475141.PNG

5. LB Dimitri Moore [Vanderbilt] 6'3" 225lbs.

Danny Trevathan pulled himself out of the grave and has been playing much better, but his early season struggles showed how little depth and how few actual options the Bears have behind him. Horrible contract aside, the Bears need to start developing a long term replacement for Trevathan. They are likely going to have to pay Roquan elite money so they will need someone on a rookie deal to play beside him. Moore is a little undersized, but he can really run and cover, something Trevathan has struggled with. He has NFL starter physical tools and should be a core special teamer day 1.

37575bf857ded24c7fba61e049ce66dd

6. OT Myron Cunningham [Arkansas] 6'7" 323lbs.

Cunningham is a huge, athletic OT prospect that has bounced around colleges and has not really flashed this season until he was under the tutelage of Sam Pittman, an elite OL coach. Cunningham has incredible tools to work with and the step he took this season is big enough that you could project him with more work as an NFL starter. The Bears need as many developmental bodies as possible to ensure that complete frauds like Rashaad Coward are not wasting their developmental time.

z6aqfiqg2ysyvn0mrwrq

6. RB Elijah Mitchell [Louisiana] 5'11" 226lbs.

The Bears lack of RB depth is insane. Ryan Nall should never see the field and with Patterson gone they need someone to give the short yardage carries to. Mitchell is a big, thickly built RB that has the power to grind between the OTs and has more catches in his career than I was expecting. He should be able to get enough carries to keep Montgomery fresh and can step in if Montgomery is injured and fill the role of a bigger back.

cc06e42e-689d-4d82-8584-2897d3b33396-USATSI_13762163.jpg

6. NT Naquan Jones [Michigan St] 6'4" 328lbs.

The absence of a true NT has been noticeable and the Bears should invest in a young, cheap, developmental backup to Goldman. Jones is a big physical mauler in the middle who has the tools to be an NFL lineman. The Bears will likely keep him inactive on game days, which means he has time to develop his technique and the finer points of playing the position, but he keeps the Bears from going to the street to get a NT again.

ef1ddd3a-24a0-4e73-b4ff-6a6658702234-10052019_msuosu_1st-10.jpg

6. CB D.J Daniel [Georgia] 6'1" 200lbs.

A part time starter who is stuck behind a couple of high NFL picks, Daniel has the size and physical tools that you like. He is a good tackler and an aggressive man CB. The Bears need some developmental depth and they need someone who has the ability to play outside in a pinch. With Vildor taking over as the nickle back the Bears need to develop someone to pay outside and Daniel has that ability.

DJ+Daniel+SEC+Championship+Georgia+v+LSU+WzCmq-SCi4Gl.jpg

7. OG Sadarius Hutchenson [South Carolina] 6'4" 325lbs.

Another big bodied OLmen who is likely destined for the PR, but the word for the OL has to be options. Hutcherson is an interior mauler who at a minimum increases the competition and the attitude of the OL. He has a ton of SEC starts and has played against some of the best DTs in the country.

Edd2KzFXoAEiVHj.jpg

7. QB Felipe Franks [Arkansas] 6'6" 235lbs.

Get Tyler Bray off the damn PR and get someone on there that has some developmental upside and can actually throw the ball. Franks has physical tools, he has size, he can run a little, he actually has some NFL upside. After transferring from Florida he is having a nice season at Arkansas and showing some things that are worth working on. If the Bears are going to have a guy in practice or run scout team let's make it a guy who can do some stuff if needed.

AP_20271020065970_r600x400.jpg
When was the last time there was a franchise tag and trade in the NFL?

Beast15

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
"He has way more athletic ability than Foles and can manipulate the pocket without looking like an injured toddler".

????

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
Damn if we trade up and the prize is Trask, I'll be disappointed.

I like him, but not if we need to give up additional draft capital.

DB012031

Liked Posts:
1[1] NY Jets: QB Trevor Lawrence [Clemson]
1[2] Jacksonville Jaguars: QB Trevor Fields [Ohio St]
1[3] Washington Football: QB Zach Wilson [BYU]
1[4] Los Angeles Chargers: OT Penei Sewell [Oregon]
1[5] Dallas Cowboys: CB Patrick Surtain [Alabama]
1[6] Miami Dolphins [Hou]: LB Micah Parsons [Penn St]
1[7] Cincinnati Bengals: WR Jamaar Chase [LSU]
1[8] New York Giants: DE Gregory Rouessau [Miami]
1[9] Carolina Panthers: QB Trey Lance [North Dakota St]

Carolina is not drafting a QB at 9 when they just invested $63M into Bridgewater, who is actually having a solid year under Joe Brady, the OC. Now will Carolina draft a QB this year, I think they will. But they are not taking a QB at 9. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see them trade down and acquire a few more picks because they are better than their record suggests.

I also see Dallas as being a team that could either take a QB at 5 (they cannot have all that money tied up in Zeke, Dak and Cooper, one of them won't be there next year). Or Dallas trades out of the 5th pick to a team hungry for a QB.

DB012031

Liked Posts:
Liked everything till the draft...

Trask at 10? And the 5th QB taken? Improbable and unacceptable. Unless Lawrence and Wilson stay at Clemson and BYU respectively. Know its your interpretation of what Pace will do but don't fuck around. Drafting a kid at 10 to bench him immediately when this team desperately needs 3 impact OLinemen isn't solving shit.

Doubt Mayfield will be there at 46 (disagree strongly that he's a RT--dude stuffed two 1st round pass rushers from April's draft, one of them included Chase Young/other AJ Epenesa). Pretty sure he, Sewell, Leatherwood, Eichenburg, Darrisaw, Cosmi and Carman will all be off the board by that point. Tons of teams need tackle help. Many of them pick 2x before the bears pick their 2nd guy.

This is my personal bias, but I want NU's Paddy Fisher where you take the Vandy kid. Get rid of Iyebunigwe and plug him on ST for a year before mixing him in as a starter with Roquan moving forward.

Like double-dipping on QB. Sadly cannot see Pace doing that.

If I really wanted to nitpick, given how backup/average OLinemen like the guy you had a hard-on for last year--Vaitai last year got paid more than Massie/Leno make now--I don't think you get the two free agents on those nice, cheap deals. Pretty sure you can keep Ifedi cheap though.

Absolutely love that I'm not the only one who wants to keep Urban and Edwards at 5 tech while kicking RRH's useless ass to the curb.

Good effort. No useless/pointless/unexplained trade downs that don't make sense for the other team.

Thank you for saying that about Mayfield. I know he has been out the last 2 games (and I am a Michigan Alum) but the kid is legit, stonewalled Chase Young last year). He will be gone in the first round and can play either tackle position.

greg23

Liked Posts:
1 year starter, lower level of competition, tons of rough edges... remind you of anyone.

I do not think they will want that risk.

Exactly the reasons why we didn't draft a certain mvp and super bowl winner

Big arm
Gun slinger
Better outside the design of the play
Lots of INT's

No way they wanted to go from Cutler to Mahomes because he was seen as too similar.

Just get someone in a mgmt capacity who can properly evaluate talent (esp qb) and draft the right one.....its been 70 years...it's time!

DB012031

Liked Posts:
So windy thinks this is the greatest QB draft class of all time?

Even in 2018, which had much superior prospects, only had 4(Thats the record).

I can't see lance, trask, and wilson going in the top 10. Thats a reach. A big one. One of them might if a team falls in love with them like the chiefs did mahomes, but hell, all three of those guys have question marks.

Agreed. I have Wilson as the #3 QB and honestly, I don't care for Trask. Seen several Florida Games and that wind up on his throws is too long and too much effort into his throws ( i know that sounds weird but when you watch Lawrence or Fields throw, its so effortless, Trask looks like he has to muscle up for everything).

If we don't have a shot at the Top 3 (Lawrence, Fields and Wilson) I would go O-Line in the first and second (depending who is left on the board in the 2nd) and then either a QB in the 3rd or look at the Jets with Darnold depending on what they do in the first round (do they take a QB which many of us believe they will do).

DB012031

Liked Posts:
Exactly the reasons why we didn't draft a certain mvp and super bowl winner

Big arm
Gun slinger
Better outside the design of the play
Lots of INT's

No way they wanted to go from Cutler to Mahomes because he was seen as too similar.

Just get someone in a mgmt capacity who can properly evaluate talent (esp qb) and draft the right one.....its been 70 years...it's time!

Keep in mind that teams have always been weary of any Texas Tech QB. Mahomes is the exception to that rule, but remember all those Mike Leach QB's that balled out in college and then were duds in the NFL. TTech stills runs that kind of offense so I am sure several GM's thought: ok, here we go again, another Tech QB with gaudy stats that probably won't hack it in the NFL.

A.C. Milan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't want Leno to start next year too

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
-We cannot continue to mangle the future cap. You cannot continue to redo Mack's deal or he will be 33 and costing us 30 million guaranteed.

-Santos is in the 1 year 1 million deal guys.

-There is a 0% chance that if Nagy and Pace are back they do not take a QB in the 1st round. That is the only way they save their jobs long term.
Of they are both back which I believe they will be if they have a win now ultimatum watch them skip out on drafting a qb just like the dumb ass lions did last draft. It’s pretty much similar situation that we have going on here. And the worst part is if they do take a qb and both get fired the draft after that if new regime doesn’t like the qb we will be looking for a new one again lol. This franchise is such bottom feeders it’s sick

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
1[1] NY Jets: QB Trevor Lawrence [Clemson]
1[2] Jacksonville Jaguars: QB Trevor Fields [Ohio St]
1[3] Washington Football: QB Zach Wilson [BYU]
1[4] Los Angeles Chargers: OT Penei Sewell [Oregon]
1[5] Dallas Cowboys: CB Patrick Surtain [Alabama]
1[6] Miami Dolphins [Hou]: LB Micah Parsons [Penn St]
1[7] Cincinnati Bengals: WR Jamaar Chase [LSU]
1[8] New York Giants: DE Gregory Rouessau [Miami]
1[9] Carolina Panthers: QB Trey Lance [North Dakota St]
When was the last time 5 QBs went in the top 10? Not saying it's can't happen, but seems highly unlikely.

SD Bears

Liked Posts:
Nice work WC. I agree that Trask will be the only 1st tier QB remaining at #10.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
When was the last time 5 QBs went in the top 10? Not saying it's can't happen, but seems highly unlikely.

It isn't about 5 QBs in the top 10.

It is about 4 QBs going before the Bears pick.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You aren't finding a starting LT for 6m. It's also much easier to find a starting RT in the 2nd round than a starting LT.
I think you could sign Alejandro Villanueva for around 8 per year on a 3 year deal . If you cut Leno you will save a net of 6.2MM so you only need to add 1.8MM to have a HUGE upgrade at the LT position.

The problem with Leno is he is making 11.3MM next year and he is worth closer to 2-3MM. He has to be cut and the anchor will be Whitehair and Daniels. Sign a FA Tackle and draft a Tackle in the 2nd and one in the late rounds.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
if they lose out Pace and Co won't be back though. If Hicks is out for an extended period, the defense is going to tank, he's an anchor.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
no to the cb you drafted unless we trade fuller. would rather get another offense piece or a LBer to add with the one you got.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
I doubt Toney will be on the board that long but would like the pick up.

CAP BOSO

Liked Posts:
Love the investment in the OL. Not a fan of Trask or Frank's.