2nd Viewing OL Thoughts

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
1. This was an exceptional day in pass protection across the board. A ton of ++ plays where the entire line is providing great time and have their guys on lock down. Even when they gave up pressure it was controlled and not free runners, except the almost safety.

I thought the pass protection was ok, but nothing special. The Lions were so beat up in the back 4 that they couldn't routinely send extra men at Trubisky. The few times they did, Trubisky was able to get away or make a throw on the move. Detroit spent virtually the whole game rushing only 4 guys at Trubisky, and Trubisky had to deal with Massie's guy as well as interior push.

In some ways, this was Trubisky's most impressive performance because many times he didn't have a clean pocket yet he still throw precise strikes. Trubisky's pocket presence and ability to make good decisions during protection breakdowns is a complete departure from the Jay Cutler Era. The Bears' sacks allowed is 5.8% this year...in 2017 it was 7.6%, Cutler's in 2016 was 11.0%. Watching the games, I'm not sure if the Bears OL has really gotten any better during Pace's tenure, its just that Trubisky has made great strides in understanding the offense.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I thought the pass protection was ok, but nothing special. The Lions were so beat up in the back 4 that they couldn't routinely send extra men at Trubisky. The few times they did, Trubisky was able to get away or make a throw on the move. Detroit spent virtually the whole game rushing only 4 guys at Trubisky, and Trubisky had to deal with Massie's guy as well as interior push.

In some ways, this was Trubisky's most impressive performance because many times he didn't have a clean pocket yet he still throw precise strikes. Trubisky's pocket presence and ability to make good decisions during protection breakdowns is a complete departure from the Jay Cutler Era. The Bears' sacks allowed is 5.8% this year...in 2017 it was 7.6%, Cutler's in 2016 was 11.0%. Watching the games, I'm not sure if the Bears OL has really gotten any better during Pace's tenure, its just that Trubisky has made great strides in understanding the offense.

The protection for the most part was really good, but Trubisky is also very good at moving in the pocket. Not just to take off and scramble, but to also help his OTs out a little.

He is much more decisive with the ball which is what you are referencing. The number of double pumps and hitches has gone way down.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Windy -- what do the Bears have to do as a group to improve the run game?