3 Killed In Black Powder Explosion At Starved Rock State Park

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Yes, I think this is a family in shock struggling with sudden loss...all three were dads with a total of 7 kids . ☹️
Terrible news.

They did not announce the names or where from over the weekend, and I have not seen since then. I heard all from Chicago/suburbs. Where exactly?

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My friend insists they were fishing with dynamite.
I don't know why, but it's her birthday so I'm rolling with it for today at least.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Was an explanation ever given what they were doing?

JimAKABlkhwks918

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Was an explanation ever given what they were doing?
WBBM said about a week ago that the ATF speculated they were attempting to use black powder to start a fire to cook food, based on the items at the scene.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Holy shit.
It really doesn't matter if they were legitimately using it to hold their fish up or straight up screwing around, just the fact that it was left lying around by the blasting company is gonna cost them big time.

That is irresponsible.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't know what to believe.
I think the black powder idea sounds pretty dubious but so does "discarded explosives".

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Holy shit.
It really doesn't matter if they were legitimately using it to hold their fish up or straight up screwing around, just the fact that it was left lying around by the blasting company is gonna cost them big time.

That is irresponsible.
probably an osha violation huh

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I still think the idea of fishing with dynamite is hilarious either way.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I don't know what to believe.
I think the black powder idea sounds pretty dubious but so does "discarded explosives".
I thought it sounded like a horse shit blame game until I read the linked press release.

Apparently there is a screen capture of the object from a video call, one of those were found 11 days after blasting that was unexploded by the blasting company, and the forensics of the explosive residue matches the explosives recently used.

My guess when I first saw this story was fuckups killed themselves... but now it sounds like shitty luck and irresponsibility.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
When I was 14 I noticed the back door of the local gun store was left open and I just walked right in and snagged one of those small tubes of blackpowder and walked right out with it. After I played around and lit some of it just for kicks I came up with a brilliant plan and I took a 2 liter bottle and filled it about 3/4 of the way up then took cotton and I packed it down into that bottle as tight as I could with a fuse from some fire crackers I'd been dicking around with for awhile I was really proud of my nuke I'd made I had even cut a hole in the cap of the bottle and used some wax from a candle and sealed that up
So I decide I'm gonna put that bad boy inside this old hollowed out tree and light it and make a big kaboom
So I get down there I light the fuse and I run like hell and get behind a big rock then about the time I got my head down
Fucking KABLAAM LOUD AF the tree is on fire one of my friends said later they heard it from clear across town long story shortened I of course got caught and even though I'd have preferred they jailed me I even pleaded with them they sent me home with my father who im pretty sure was seeing how far he could go beating me with his belt before I died and I did a year on probation and 60 hours of community service and I've not fooled with that shit since
Thus ended my career at making stuff splode

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thanks.
I'm at work and haven't gotten to look too deeply yet.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
When I was 14 I noticed the back door of the local gun store was left open and I just walked right in and snagged one of those small tubes of blackpowder and walked right out with it. After I played around and lit some of it just for kicks I came up with a brilliant plan and I took a 2 liter bottle and filled it about 3/4 of the way up then took cotton and I packed it down into that bottle as tight as I could with a fuse from some fire crackers I'd been dicking around with for awhile I was really proud of my nuke I'd made I had even cut a hole in the cap of the bottle and used some wax from a candle and sealed that up
So I decide I'm gonna put that bad boy inside this old hollowed out tree and light it and make a big kaboom
So I get down there I light the fuse and I run like hell and get behind a big rock then about the time I got my head down
Fucking KABLAAM LOUD AF the tree is on fire one of my friends said later they heard it from clear across town long story shortened I of course got caught and even though I'd have preferred they jailed me I even pleaded with them they sent me home with my father who im pretty sure was seeing how far he could go beating me with his belt before I died and I did a year on probation and 60 hours of community service and I've not fooled with that shit since
Thus ended my career at making stuff splode

I never fucked with black powder- we had a cautionary example occur when we were young.

A kid down the street got in to his dads canister and wanted to fuck with it tom and Jerry style...laid a trail to a pile.
Coned up the pile with his hand like kids do with sand castles.
Wiped his mouth with his hands afterwards.
He lit the trail, didn't blow the house up but smoke was thick as pea soup. He also managed to spark the shit on his face and burnt the shit out of his lips and lost most of his hair and both eyebrows.

His lips swelled up and blistered about 3 times normal size.
He never lived that down. He was known as "powder puff" through graduation.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

A small tube of powder filled a 2 liter bottle 3/4 of the way up!? o_O

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I thought it sounded like a horse shit blame game until I read the linked press release.

Apparently there is a screen capture of the object from a video call, one of those were found 11 days after blasting that was unexploded by the blasting company, and the forensics of the explosive residue matches the explosives recently used.

My guess when I first saw this story was fuckups killed themselves... but now it sounds like shitty luck and irresponsibility.
I've read it now.
Holy shit! This is fucked up and just a horrible tragedy.
I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that there were explosives laying around for these poor guys to find.
I would have thought there would be super tight regulations where every single fucking gram of explosives was accounted for.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lol it was like a oatmeal can but like 2x the size of that