30 games left.......

czman

Liked Posts:
The Cubs have 30 games left and 85 wins. So even 500 baseball over the last month is 100 wins. They have a 7.5 game lead on the 2nd best record in the NL, the same size lead as the AL leader has over a team that is outside of the playoffs. they are 15 freaking games up over the cards, and the only team playing over 600 ball. Hell they are almost at 650.

At this point it looks like they will basically be wire to wire best record in baseball, sans ~2 weeks. The Cubs have never been this good in my life, or that I can recall. They may not win the WS, but they are the best team in baseball this year.

I have a hard time not seeing them win a WS in the next few years, unless something just really odd happens. I know some people like being negative and focusing on the rough patches, but this is a really damn good team. Really damn good teams don't always win the the last game of the season, but no matter how it shakes out from here going forward, they are the best team in baseball. 162 games will say they are. I am so glad that I had an opportunity to see this season. Watched 90% f the innings so far, and am looking forward to a few more years just like this.

Just glad it happened in my lifetime.

85Bears

Formerly known as 85Bears
Donator
Liked Posts:
Very well said.

I want a WS win but this team has just been so fun to watch, I'll be ok if we have to wait another year or two.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
You just made the case on why the Cubs may not be the best team in baseball. The difference between the first and second place team is the same as the AL best and a team out of the playoffs. Lots of trash teams in the NL where the AL has very strong parody.

Cubs still could be the best team in baseball. It's hard to really say honestly.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
You just made the case on why the Cubs may not be the best team in baseball. The difference between the first and second place team is the same as the AL best and a team out of the playoffs. Lots of trash teams in the NL where the AL has very strong parody.

Cubs still could be the best team in baseball. It's hard to really say honestly.

You continue to overstate your case about the weak sisters in each league. Yes, the AL has better parity but the difference is far less than your rhetoric suggests. Here are some numbers:

Teams over .500

AL- 10
NL- 8

Teams under .500

AL- 5
NL- 7

Cumulative records of the bottom 3 teams

AL- 162-236
NL- 160-237

Teams in contention on 9/1 (outside the top 5 but within 4 games of a playoff berth)

AL- 4
NL- 3

In short the numbers support your argument but not in the overwhelming way that has been your mantra all season. To say the Cubs are not the best team in MLB being the only team over .600 (.644) with the next closest being the Rangers at .597 is a little absurd. Especially considering that the Cubs are under performing to their Pythagorean win total by 4 games (85 vs 89 expected) and the Rangers are over performing theirs by 10 (!) games (80 vs 70 expected). There is no reasonable doubt over the Cubs being the best team in baseball today. Of course that means squat in the playoffs, we all know this, but it what it is on 9/1.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
You continue to overstate your case about the weak sisters in each league. Yes, the AL has better parity but the difference is far less than your rhetoric suggests. Here are some numbers:

Teams over .500

AL- 10
NL- 9

Teams under .500

AL- 5
NL- 7

Cumulative records of the bottom 3 teams

AL- 162-236
NL- 160-237

Teams in contention on 9/1 (outside the top 5 but within 4 games of a playoff berth)

AL- 4
NL- 3

In short the numbers support your argument but not in the overwhelming way that has been your mantra all season. To say the Cubs are not the best team in MLB being the only team over .600 (.644) with the next closest being the Rangers at .597 is a little absurd. Especially considering that the Cubs are under performing to their Pythagorean win total by 4 games (85 vs 89 expected) and the Rangers are over performing theirs by 10 (!) games (80 vs 70 expected). There is no reasonable doubt over the Cubs being the best team in baseball today. Of course that means squat in the playoffs, we all know this, but it what it is on 9/1.
When did the NL get 16 teams?

But you agree with me as do the numbers. Thanks.

Keep ignoring that without a balanced schedule there is no way to tell who the best team truly is 100%.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I didn't cross check the numbers, the over .500 teams are 8 vs 10. My point still stands that you have overstated your case. Are you really going to tell me that the Rangers, who are far outperforming their expected record are a better team than the Cubs who should have 4 more wins? Nothing in life is 100%, everything lives in shades of gray and nuance, but in the absence of certainty I'll say that the Cubs are the best team in baseball.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
As a White Sux fan, Brett's posts regarding AL being much better than NL are guaranteed low rate posts.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I didn't cross check the numbers, the over .500 teams are 8 vs 10. My point still stands that you have overstated your case. Are you really going to tell me that the Rangers, who are far outperforming their expected record are a better team than the Cubs who should have 4 more wins? Nothing in life is 100%, everything lives in shades of gray and nuance, but in the absence of certainty I'll say that the Cubs are the best team in baseball.

I think teams like the Rangers, Indians, Astros, Mets, Nationals, Blue Jays Dodgers, Cubs, and Giants could all have cases.
Ex. Very, very strong case can be made for the Rangers that is 30 games over .500 against teams that are .500 or better.

No doubt a very, very strong case can be made for the Cubs. But that's not what I am correcting. You would think you would join me on this considering how you are going against me on the strength of the AL

fatbeard

Liked Posts:

Cubs are 38 games over .500, the best AL team is 26 (and that team has dramatically over-performed by 11-14 games). But the Cubs "might not be the best team in baseball."

Makes sense.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
can we PLEASE ban brett from the forum?

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers

latest

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dont worry fellas. Brett said last year that after the Cubs/White Sox series. He wasnt sure who the better team was anymore. Yep, that was said.