4 things to know as Bears scout Senior Bowl

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Four things to know as Bears, new coaches scout Senior Bowl week
By Patrick Finley

MOBILE, Ala. — When the Bears coached in the Senior Bowl last year — a task typically bestowed upon the worst two teams that didn’t make a coaching change — they vowed it would be a one-time-only deal.

“We are never going to be in this position again,” general manager Ryan Pace said then.

They’re not. They have the eighth pick in the draft this year, but their 5-11 record was disturbing enough to prompt the firing of coach John Fox.

With Pace, coach Matt Nagy and their staffs in town to interview prospects playing in the Senior Bowl, here’s a four-point primer for the week:

1. The Bears’ first-round pick probably isn’t here. Free agency might change the calculus, but the Bears have glaring needs at (in order) wide receiver, outside linebacker, cornerback and offensive line.

It’s hard to find someone at the Senior Bowl the Bears could take eighth, in part because the draft is so heavy on underclassmen. ESPN’s Mel Kiper had only eight seniors listed in his first-round mock draft.

Texas-San Antonio’s Marcus Davenport could be the closest a Senior Bowl player comes to fitting the bill. The 6-6 edge rusher can play his way into a top-10 pick with a good showing this week and at the NFL Scouting Combine next month.

Senior Bowl executive director Phil Savage said Davenport could garner the most interest of any player this week. Davenport started his high school career as a wide receiver and weighed 198 pounds by graduation. He was up to 264 at UTSA.

Attention followed.

“It wasn’t that long ago that this wasn’t even a thought or on my radar,” Davenport said Monday.

2. In three drafts, Pace has selected six players who participated in the Senior Bowl — defensive backs Adrian Amos, Deiondre’ Hall and DeAndre Houston-Carson, center Cody Whitehair, running back Jeremy Langford and offensive lineman Jordan Morgan.

The Bears coached Morgan in the game last year. A shoulder injury landed him on injured reserve at the end of the preseason.

3. The Bears will be rooting for the quarterbacks. Four could be drafted in the top 10. Two — Heisman Trophy winner Baker Mayfield of Oklahoma and Wyoming’s Josh Allen — are at the Senior Bowl.

The Bears want them to make a good impression. Having traded up for their own quarterback last year, the Bears are undoubtedly intrigued by the possibility of gaining extra draft picks from teams looking to move up to No. 8.

Mayfield was delayed by a family matter and will arrive Tuesday. Allen spent last season preparing for this moment. Before deciding to return for his senior year, he spoke with Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz, who ran a similar offense at North Dakota State.

“He said the offense we run translates extremely well to the NFL,” Allen said. “It’s a really cool parallel to understand I’m not in a spread system like most of these guys coming out of college.”

4. The Bears’ assistant coaches know the Senior Bowl players. Offensive coordinator Mark Helfrich coached offensive tackle Tyrell Cosby and long snapper Tanner Carew at Oregon. Former Notre Dame offensive line coach Harry Hiestand is familiar with former Irish tight end Durham Smythe.

In recruiting players out of high school, though, college coaches also have established relationships with players who landed at other schools.

“A lot of times you know these guys when they’re 13, 14 years old,” Helfrich, the Ducks’ coach for four years and offensive coordinator for four, said last week. “Some guys … maybe they had an issue in the past. Something you know about. Playing against someone, absolutely we’ll talk about that. We’ll talk about that as we get closer with the personnel people and get ready for the draft.”

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/bears-and-new-coaches-descend-upon-senior-bowl-so-heres-4-things-to-know/

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Crosby would be a sweet pick if Bears pick up an extra 2nd or a 3rd.

aft Scout Tyrell Crosby News
01/22/18 - 2018 Senior Bowl: 7 Potential Breakout Players: Tyrell Crosby, OT, Oregon, #73, North...Quarterbacks get all of the attention, but the NFL is every bit as desperate for help among pass blockers. The physically imposing Crosby, who was voted the Morris Trophy winner by Pac-12 defensive linemen as the best blocker in the conference, did not allow a sack in 2017 after missing almost off of the previous season with a broken foot. Agile, powerful and tenacious, the 6-5, 320-pounder checks in as NFLDraftScout.com's sixth-rated tackle and No. 58 prospect. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
aft Scout Tyrell Crosby News
01/22/18 - 2018 Senior Bowl: 7 Potential Breakout Players: Tyrell Crosby, OT, Oregon, #73, North...Quarterbacks get all of the attention, but the NFL is every bit as desperate for help among pass blockers. The physically imposing Crosby, who was voted the Morris Trophy winner by Pac-12 defensive linemen as the best blocker in the conference, did not allow a sack in 2017 after missing almost off of the previous season with a broken foot. Agile, powerful and tenacious, the 6-5, 320-pounder checks in as NFLDraftScout.com's sixth-rated tackle and No. 58 prospect. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com

Much better bang for your buck getting this guy in 2nd - 3rd than taking a guard in the top 10 when there are 3-4 good OG's already on the roster.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
We need Allen and Mayfield to ball out. I find it unrealistic that 4 QBs will go in the top 10, but I can definitely see 4 in the first round. Gotta find that trade down partner and recoup some picks.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It's QB. NFL teams in need will not be able to resist falling in love.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
I don’t see to many teams behind us that have a need or a want to jump up at #8 to get a QB. I see maybe 3 possible teams. Bills are interesting because they have 2 first rd picks so they room to move.

Cousins & Smith will surely be playing for QB needy teams next year.

That leaves the teams in front of #8 to jump back into the first to take a QB they passed on with their orginal pick.

I hope their is a suitor because I’m not excited about anyone at #8 right now and Pace obviously needs the picks.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
We need Allen and Mayfield to ball out. I find it unrealistic that 4 QBs will go in the top 10, but I can definitely see 4 in the first round. Gotta find that trade down partner and recoup some picks.

Fa will dictate it. Have to see where smith, bortles, cousins, keenum land then it will be allot clearer what’s going to happen

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Hub on The Score yesterday said that KC is in no hurry trying to trade Alex Smith. Of course, that was what Hub said and the opinion on him changes like the weather on CCS. That said, Smith seems more like a future pick, and not a pick you might trade this year.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
im calling allen to the browns at number 1. i think cousins stays with the redskins...the jets will probably trade up to the browns spot at 4 or the colts at 3 to secure their qb just before the broncos assuming the guy they want gets past the giants...The bears are not in a good position to trade back...49ers at 9 and raiders at 10 have no qb need making them trade up targets as well.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
im calling allen to the browns at number 1. i think cousins stays with the redskins...the jets will probably trade up to the browns spot at 4 or the colts at 3 to secure their qb just before the broncos assuming the guy they want gets past the giants...The bears are not in a good position to trade back...49ers at 9 and raiders at 10 have no qb need making them trade up targets as well.

When I was in Denver, all they talked about was Allen vs. Mayfield.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
Much better bang for your buck getting this guy in 2nd - 3rd than taking a guard in the top 10 when there are 3-4 good OG's already on the roster.
You don't pass up a once in a generation talent, even at guard, because you have 3-4 okay guards on your roster.

And btw, most of those guards spent time on IR or are nearing the age where they fall apart...

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You don't pass up a once in a generation talent, even at guard, because you have 3-4 okay guards on your roster.

And btw, most of those guards spent time on IR or are nearing the age where they fall apart...

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

So he’s getting drafted 1st overall?

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I could see the Browns signing Cousins, Keenum going to the Giants, Bradford, Nick Foles or another FA to Denver and all the QBs falling.. Maybe Redskins trade up to 8.

This has to be one of the absolute best years to get a FA QB.

Alex Smith - likely hits FA
Nick Foles - may win the SB and be a FA
Keenum - Dark Horse MVP canidate is a FA
Sam Bradford - Last 17 games has a 101.1 Rate with 23TD 5 INTs 72% Completion rate for 4,259 is a FA
Drew Brees - I would be surprised if he hits FA but it is possible
Kirk Cousins
Teddy Bridgewater
Tyrod Taylor
AJ McCarron

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
So he’s getting drafted 1st overall?

No but he should be. He is that good. Were not fixing everything in one year and a player like him will give you 12+ years of top play. Were not QB needy so I would love him at 8. No one will take a G at 1 but if they did? They would be happy for a long time.

Matt2012

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Wisconsin Badgers
I could see the Browns signing Cousins, Keenum going to the Giants, Bradford, Nick Foles or another FA to Denver and all the QBs falling.. Maybe Redskins trade up to 8.

This has to be one of the absolute best years to get a FA QB.

Alex Smith - likely hits FA
Nick Foles - may win the SB and be a FA
Keenum - Dark Horse MVP canidate is a FA
Sam Bradford - Last 17 games has a 101.1 Rate with 23TD 5 INTs 72% Completion rate for 4,259 is a FA
Drew Brees - I would be surprised if he hits FA but it is possible
Kirk Cousins
Teddy Bridgewater
Tyrod Taylor
AJ McCarron

What are the odds that Minnesota doesn't resign Keenum next year? He'll pull a high price, but I can't imagine they would prefer to stick with Bridgewater or Bradford.

Luke

Liked Posts:
nah, schefty said it is expected that the queens franchise Keenum.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I've gone back and forth many times about Nelson. Its going to come down to who is available. The way I see it, if a coveted QB falls to #8 and a team is throwing the sort of draft capital at Pace that we have seen in the recent past then he's a moron to not seriously consider a trade down regardless of who is available to him at #8. If that weren't the case then I trust his judgement and Hiestand's advice with regard to Notre Dame's players.

At this point though Nelson has beyond cemented his top half of the 1st round draft status.