4 things to know as Bears scout Senior Bowl

Hammer

Liked Posts:
It all comes down to positional impact.

So you'll sure as hell draft a good QB over very good pass rusher/shutdown corner, and you'll sure draft a very good pass rusher/shutdown corner over great guard (to give you some examples).

And to project that onto 2018, Nelson might be a great guard, but his positional impact isn't as nearly important as one of very good OT/OLB/CB (and there will be some very good prospects available at those positions where Bears pick).

To me, drafting a TE/OG/SS in 1st round (especially if it's not a pressing need) is like you drafted a K/P/LS there (you know, WTF move).

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
You don't pass up a once in a generation talent, even at guard, because you have 3-4 okay guards on your roster.

And btw, most of those guards spent time on IR or are nearing the age where they fall apart...

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

OK guards? Lol. Keeping guys healthy is another problem, but Sitton, Long, Kush, Whitehair even Compton all looked good on the field in an absolute shit offense.

Brandon Scherff is really making game winning plays for the skins. Generational talent. Pats packers and Steelers always have great olines while not being able to pick these generational talents cause they’re usually available later in the draft.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It all comes down to positional impact.

So you'll sure as hell draft a good QB over very good pass rusher/shutdown corner, and you'll sure draft a very good pass rusher/shutdown corner over great guard (to give you some examples).

And to project that onto 2018, Nelson might be a great guard, but his positional impact isn't as nearly important as one of very good OT/OLB/CB (and there will be some very good prospects available at those positions where Bears pick).

To me, drafting a TE/OG/SS in 1st round (especially if it's not a pressing need) is like you drafted a K/P/LS there (you know, WTF move).

Unfortunately, it is this easy... Top 15 QB > Top 15 pass rusher > top 15 CB > top 15 WR > the #1 Guard in the NFL

Is there any reason to think Fitzpatrick or Ridley cannot be a top 15 player at their position?

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What are the odds that Minnesota doesn't resign Keenum next year? He'll pull a high price, but I can't imagine they would prefer to stick with Bridgewater or Bradford.

Maybe they would prefer Alex Smith or Kirk Cousins. I hope they keep Keenum, I think he will regress bigtime w/o Shumur.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Honestly no. Sitton played at top tier level and got stepped on his ankle two years in a row causing him to miss some time. We don't even know how much longer Sitton is going to remain with us. Long hasn't played at that top tier level since before they forced him to play RT. He was a legit PB guard then they fucked him up putting him at RT where he played like trash and has been injured ever since. The drop off from there is huge. Lumping those other guys together is a joke honestly. They're average at best guards. I've said it before. A position of perceived strength can immediately become a weakness if Sitton is cut or isn't extended and if Long never gets back to form from his injuries or isn't healthy enough for next season.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
I could see the Browns signing Cousins, Keenum going to the Giants, Bradford, Nick Foles or another FA to Denver and all the QBs falling.. Maybe Redskins trade up to 8.

This has to be one of the absolute best years to get a FA QB.

Alex Smith - likely hits FA
Nick Foles - may win the SB and be a FA
Keenum - Dark Horse MVP canidate is a FA
Sam Bradford - Last 17 games has a 101.1 Rate with 23TD 5 INTs 72% Completion rate for 4,259 is a FA
Drew Brees - I would be surprised if he hits FA but it is possible
Kirk Cousins
Teddy Bridgewater
Tyrod Taylor
AJ McCarron

I don’t think Smith or Taylor are FAs till 2019.

Smith will probably be traded.
Guessing Bills hold onto Taylor for depth at least.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Davenport, 6-6 259 with 34 inch arms. He's getting noticed.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I don’t see to many teams behind us that have a need or a want to jump up at #8 to get a QB. I see maybe 3 possible teams. Bills are interesting because they have 2 first rd picks so they room to move.

Cousins & Smith will surely be playing for QB needy teams next year.

That leaves the teams in front of #8 to jump back into the first to take a QB they passed on with their orginal pick.

I hope their is a suitor because I’m not excited about anyone at #8 right now and Pace obviously needs the picks.

So all the teams that need or are even possibilities of needing or drafting a QB and teams that have a veteran that could look to draft their next young QB to sit behind their vets.

Jets
Cards
Broncos
Bills
Browns
Jax
Giants--They could or couldn't but most think they will draft one to sit a year or two behind Eli.
Redskins--Cousins most likely leaving
Saints--Brees still playing well but............
Steelers--I see Ben playing one more year.
Chargers--I put them with the Giants getting a young QB to sit behind Rivers.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
What are the odds that Minnesota doesn't resign Keenum next year? He'll pull a high price, but I can't imagine they would prefer to stick with Bridgewater or Bradford.

There is some talk of putting the franchise tag on him. Don't know how much truth to them even thinking about it but it could happen.