49ers deciding between Mac Jones and Trey Lance at #3

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Pellisero was just on NFL network at lunch, said he thought it was Jones at #3, but heard SF was still in contact with Lance after the 2nd pro day practice, but if he had to bet it was Jones at #3. No mention of Fields.

Thought #4 was definitely Pitts. Too much game changing talent to pass on.

Also said that general consensus among GMs was this was a weaker draft in terms of top tier talent, only 16-18 true first rounders, opposed to usually 22-25. Better depth at CB and T, weaker at S, NT and DL. Said latter end of first could be a little wild because that is where some of the "safer" but less valued positions can usually go (NT, S) but the draft is weak in that "safe" area so its anyone's call.

FWIW.

Last edited:

vanavyman

Liked Posts:
You wouldn't think Fields is the surest bet at #3 and there is no way you would trade that much for anybody else.

Got to love Lynch. Had his pick of the top QB in the draft in 2017, takes Solomon Thomas. Now he gives up 3 first rounders for the 3rd QB on the board. Whoever it is, it has to be a homerun, and then you have to field a good team because you mortgaged the future. Its a tough position that was self-created. If he drafts a bust it will be on the worst draft moves, IF NOT THE WORST, of all time, considering the capital that was paid for the position knowing you are picking 3rd best.
You do know that Shanahan has control over personnel. The QB decision is his and his dad's.

aeronaut

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
Fangio has seen first hand the risk of drafting a QB high in the draft so this actually makes sense to me. I know everyone thinks it’s a QB league but Fangio is old school. I’m sure he believes he can win with a top defense and average QB play.

Agree, but it's not just Fangio calling the shots in Denver. George Paton, most recently in Minn, is the new GM, and the presence of Elway is still looming over the franchise. They could go either way, but I strongly suspect that Bridgewater is their fallback plan if they don't have a top QB fall to them or don't like the cost to trade up.

aeronaut

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
To be generational, wouldn't he have to be undoubtedly better than kelce, kittle and gronk?

Scouts claim that he could be. WR speed in a TE build, great hands, able and willing blocker. One never knows, but the tools are supposedly there, and he's described as a coverage nightmare. Unless you have a 6' 3" cornerback with a solid build and 4.4 speed, no one can cover him, and his game should translate to the NFL well. Uggh. Hope he ends up in the AFC.

aeronaut

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
Of course, maybe the Jets are going Fields at 2, and SF will get Wilson and both teams are duping everyone.
Always possible, but why? If the Jags don't take Lawrence at #1, Jets fans will be doing a happy dance until opening day about getting Lawrence. No mystery there. So the only thing the Jets could put out to better their situation is to put it out there that they prefer Z. Wilson over Lawrence, hoping the Jags second guess themselves (they won't).

Now, SF might be legitimately worried that the Jets might take their top choice from them, so they want to be somewhat secretive. Any possibility that the Jets would want to do something crazy like take Pitts or Chase went out the window when they traded Darnold. SF pretty much knows for sure they will have their pick of Jones, Lance, or Fields, with Wilson possibly on the list if the Jets get cute. But if they think Lance, for example, is a better pick than Wilson, they don't want to share that info with the Jets.

Of course, it shouldn't matter - the Jets should stay true to their board, even if SF says they will take Pitts because all the QBs are terrible. But we all also know that this is a game of incomplete information, and basic game theory tells us that if your opponent has more good information, it will help them make a better decision, which will hurt you in the long run. Ryan Pace knows this, and one of his flaws is that he gets too cutesy with that, sometimes outthinking himself. Hopefully Nagy, Josh Lucas (dir. of Player Personnel) and Champ Kelly (asst. dir of Player Personnel and a highly regarded GM candidate) will keep him in check.

aeronaut

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
No way Fields gets past 4.

Way. Not certain, but decidedly possible. Jags - Lawrence, Jets - Wilson, 49ers - Lance, Falcons - Pitts, and voila, there's Jones and Fields at #5. Or, 49ers - Jones, Falcons - Pitts, and Lance and Fields are there at #5.

It's kind of stupid, but Fields epilepsy disclosure may have him fall a lot. Cutler's diabetes was overlooked, since it's manageable, but so is Fields's epilepsy. Stays on his meds, no issues at all, end of story, but it makes old school owners (to whom modern medicine and voodoo are similarly incomprehensible and foreign) nervous.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
You do know that Shanahan has control over personnel. The QB decision is his and his dad's.
I didn't know they clipped Lynch's nuts like that. Does sound like more of an offensive head coach trade than a GM trade for sure.

Old man Shanahan has forgotten more about football than many people know, but still, if they take Mac Jones at #3 that's a laughing stock move. Probably would have been there at 12.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I’d be shocked if someone traded for Garapolos contract. They should cut him and let him pick where to go.

His contract is great as non-guaranteed. 24m or so for a starter isnt bad at all.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think this whole story is made up. I believe at worst, the 49ers are picking between Justin Fields and Zach Wilson, not Trey Lance and Mac Jones. "Sources say" Ian is making shit up.
The 49ers have no reason to deceive anyone on who they are drafting at #3. Lawrence is going #1. Wilson is going #2, as the Jets have already integrated Wilson’s family into their organization. There is no one jumping them for a QB, and they are not looking for a trade partner.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
The 49ers have no reason to deceive anyone on who they are drafting at #3. Lawrence is going #1. Wilson is going #2, as the Jets have already integrated Wilson’s family into their organization. There is no one jumping them for a QB, and they are not looking for a trade partner.
The Niners also don't lose anything by keeping everyone else guessing.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Maybe in some reality the 9ers want fields and view him as #2 and they are throwing smoke with Mac Jones and trey lance in hopes that the jets take Zach Wilson so the 9ers get fields.

probably not though. The 9ers are likely deciding on the potentially higher floor guy in Mac Jones or the intriguing running QB in lance (as the tweet would suggest).

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Niners also don't lose anything by keeping everyone else guessing.
Since all 3 did an extra pro day for them and with nothing to hide, my guess is that the 49ers have been very honest with the families of Jones, Fields and Lance through the process.

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
How do you know Wilson is going #2?

I haven't heard an official announcement.

Last edited:

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Correct, everything is a prediction/guess at this point.
Yep.

Remember when LeBron was a lock to go to the NY Knicks because of endorsement deals and part ownership of Yes Network?

Pepperidge Farm remembers....

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
Yep.

Remember when LeBron was a lock to go to the NY Knicks because of endorsement deals and part ownership of Yes Network?

Pepperidge Farm remembers....
Actually he was a lock to go to the bulls.