5 Thoughts and Observations on Dolphins-Bears

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
First of all, they didn't stall at the 40, they stalled at the 35. At the 40 would have been a 58 yard kick. Not 53.

They reached the 40 and Bennie Cunnigham was inserted into the game to run up the middle, followed by two more runs up the middle and a missed 53-yard FG. The offense stalled out once they got to the 40. The only way they could have stalled worse would be if they brought Kadeem Carey out of retirement and had him attempt to fall forward 3 straight times before bringing on the FG unit.

Furthermore, if Tebow took it upon himself to run with the ball on 2nd down, then it was a running play because that is what actually happened. Not my fault he disobeyed orders and ran a running play.

Mind blown, for a second time this morning.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
They reached the 40 and Bennie Cunnigham was inserted into the game to run up the middle, followed by two more runs up the middle and a missed 53-yard FG. The offense stalled out once they got to the 40. The only way they could have stalled worse would be if they brought Kadeem Carey out of retirement and had him attempt to fall forward 3 straight times before bringing on the FG unit.

Mind blown, for a second time this morning.

The definition of stall (as a verb) is to come to a standstill; be brought to a stop.

They were stopped at the 35. Not the 40.

When you hear an announcer say that a drive stalls, he doesn't say that they stalled all the way back at the original line of scrimmage on the last 1st down of the drive. If you think that is the case, find me an example of an announcer saying this.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
The definition of stall (as a verb) is to come to a standstill; be brought to a stop.

They were stopped at the 35. Not the 40.

When you hear an announcer say that a drive stalls, he doesn't say that they stalled all the way back at the original line of scrimmage on the last 1st down of the drive. If you think that is the case, find me an example of an announcer saying this.

I didn't say the drive stalled, I said the offense went into "stall mode" once they reached the 40, as evidenced by the subsequent personnel decisions and play calls.

But I admit, of all the nits you've incorrectly picked in this thread, my use of "stall" is actually one of your better arguments. Kudos.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I didn't say the drive stalled, I said the offense went into "stall mode" once they reached the 40, as evidenced by the subsequent personnel decisions and play calls.

But I admit, of all the nits you've incorrectly picked in this thread, my use of "stall" is actually one of your better arguments. Kudos.

Looks to me like Tebow went into stall mode by his decision to run on 1st down at the 40 then disobey orders to run on his own on 2nd down then run again on 3rd. Luckily for them it worked out.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Classic example of a team coming out horrifically flaccid out of a bye. Young coach not staying on the gas, which in turn causes your players to keep the switch turned 'off'. The lack of pass rush was pretty disturbing, but what's more disheartening is just how lost Floyd looks at times. Other than his Hulk Hogan leg drop on the Miami receiver, I completely forgot he was playing. I don't recall seeing too many dialed-up blitzes, so if you can't get pressure rushing four (one being a gimpy Mack), any competent QB will slice and dice you. Couple that with putrid tackling and that game was a turd souffle, from a defensive standpoint.

As FirstTimer mentioned, even "great" defenses shit the bed once or twice a year, so I'll take it with a grain of salt. If the same lack of creativity shows up against New England, knowing their team is going to be amped up and prepared after hanging 43 on Kansas City, it could be a drubbing. I just hope Nagy remembers Howard is still on the roster. Not attempting to establish a running game this entire season is getting old.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Looks to me like Tebow went into stall mode by his decision to run on 1st down at the 40 then disobey orders to run on his own on 2nd down then run again on 3rd. Luckily for them it worked out.

LOL at this. "You disobeyed a direct order!" Reminds me of the Martz-Cutler regime.

Nothing that you have said in this thread has made sense, regardless of subject matter.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
LOL at this. "You disobeyed a direct order!" Reminds me of the Martz-Cutler regime.

Nothing that you have said in this thread has made sense, regardless of subject matter.

Nevertheless, the Broncos drive stalled after 3 running plays from around the 40 yard line to setup a FG.

iffybiz

Liked Posts:
I’m sorry but I don’t approach that last drive the same way. I want either a TD or a FG 40 yards or less. I don’t look at that third down as “I can always take the 53 yarder if I don’t screw it up.”
On third down I’m looking at my play sheet and picking the best play I’ve got, period. Even if you fail on third down, you can either play for the tie and punt or go for it on fourth down, either option is better than missing the kick and them getting the ball from where it’s kicked from.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

iffybiz

Liked Posts:
And if that situation ever happens again, I want Trubisky to call a TO and demand another play that puts the ball in his hands or be able to call an audible

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
I’m sorry but I don’t approach that last drive the same way. I want either a TD or a FG 40 yards or less. I don’t look at that third down as “I can always take the 53 yarder if I don’t screw it up.”
On third down I’m looking at my play sheet and picking the best play I’ve got, period. Even if you fail on third down, you can either play for the tie and punt or go for it on fourth down, either option is better than missing the kick and them getting the ball from where it’s kicked from.
Those are good points. Especially considering where on the field the opponent is going start and ample time remaining.

I think part of the impetus of Nagy rushing 3 times was Howard & the OL hitting the 19 & 15 yards rushes previously. Rushing again is what most coaches would do. The monkey wrench in that was Howard taking himself out. Bears don't have another power/vision rusher like Howard (which is too bad). Still, if Nagy thought the prior success was mostly due to his OL taking it to the DL, then rushing Cohen or Cunningham up the middle on 1st dwn makes some sense.

After Cohen only gets 2 yrds, and Howard apparently still isn't ready, on 2nd dwn you'd think he opens up the playbook here. You still have the momentum, you need 8 yrds (1st dwn) or more for a good FG attempt. Just don't let Trub throw one of his dangerous across the middle the field throws.

On 2nd Nagy rushes Cunningham up the middle. I would have considered that choice a ship that already sailed on 1st dwn, but at least he gets a respectable 4 yrds. I think coaches would have been thinking a play-action-pass play there.

Third dwn and 4, Howard is "ready"... which I'm not sure what that would mean, since we don't know if Howard was hurt. I wouldn't have thought Howard would have just wanted a breather after only 2 rushes. I'm not sure I see the temptation to rush Howard, a 5th straight rush, unless you're really afraid Trub is going to screwup.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
"Did she really say that?"

You and I have had our arguments in the past but let me just take this opportunity to thank you for your return. Dealing with Didshe the past year or so alone has been a tiresome ordeal.

Carry on!