55 Man roster

dennehy

Liked Posts:
After discussing some positional battles yesterday and today, I decided to do a 55 man roster. Turns out those extra 2 spots make a huge difference. Here goes (mins ST which will be 3 guys):
QB (3): Trubs, Foles, Bray
RB (4): Monty, Cohen, Patterson, Nall/New signing (4)
WR (6): ARob, AntMill, Ridley, Wims, Ginn, Mooney
TE (4): Graham, Kmet, Harris, Holtz
OL (8): Leno, Daniels, Whitehair, Ifedi, Massie, Bars, Spriggs, Coward/Rookie

Total offense: 25

DL (5): Hicks, Glodman, RRH, Nichols, Urban
OLB (5): Mack, Quinn, Gipson, Mingo, Irving
ILB (4): Roquan, Danny T, Woods, Iggy
CB (7): Fuller, Johnson, Tolliver, Skrine, Shelly, Roberson, Vildor
S (6): Jackson, Gipson, Bush, Lucas, DHC, McMannis

Total defense: 27

There will probably be a few more guys signed at some point. I think there should be an ILB for sure and probably a RB, and I think a legit 3rd ILB might knock off a safety or WR.

Notable practice squad: Both rookie tackles, Denmark, Horsted, Anderson

Bottom line: having those extra two spots opens up a lot more wiggle room than I thought it would. There is also the possibility of 2 IRs designated for return this year, so it should be possible to redshirt a guy or two depending on early injuries.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Is there any money saved by cutting TE Harris and keeping Jesper the friendly TE Horzsted?

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I'm wondering if we keep Sam Mustipher as our backup Center or just have J.Daniels as our backup Center. He wasn't good there the first half last year so not sure they'd wanna move him out of that LG spot.

Applefan

Liked Posts:
You lost me at Tyler bray

If he's still eligible; he's on the practice squad..

If not, he's by his phone in his living room in case of injury.

Nagy doesn't keep 3 qb's. I wonder if Tre Roberson makes the 53 and is a frequent game day active would he be the emergency/wildcat qb. He was a college qb.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Not sure about Bray being eligible for PS. But I'd rather have him there and someone like the 5th TE who's not going to get poached and you can pull up at any time. Foles has gotten hurt every year pretty much and Mitch is Mitch.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Not sure about Bray being eligible for PS. But I'd rather have him there and someone like the 5th TE who's not going to get poached and you can pull up at any time. Foles has gotten hurt every year pretty much and Mitch is Mitch.

If foles gets hurt and mitch sucks...Tyler brey wont help

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
It is 55 for 2020 and no longer 53?

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Yes but I don't think Pace has the luxury to think that way, especially with the two extra spots this year and lots of dudes who are at no risk of 1. playing meaningful snaps without injury and 2. Getting poached off the PS.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Yes but I don't think Pace has the luxury to think that way, especially with the two extra spots this year and lots of dudes who are at no risk of 1. playing meaningful snaps without injury and 2. Getting poached off the PS.

Keeping bray is a waste of a spot and worthless.

If he's PS eligible he can easily slide there
If he's not then there is no risk of anyone else picking him up for their 55 man roster

It's what most 3rd qb are these days..camp fodder, practice squad qb, or available in their living rooms in case of injury

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Keeping bray is a waste of a spot and worthless.

If he's PS eligible he can easily slide there
If he's not then there is no risk of anyone else picking him up for their 55 man roster

It's what most 3rd qb are these days..camp fodder, practice squad qb, or available in their living rooms in case of injury

I do think he's eligible for the PS actually.

Applefan

Liked Posts:

Depends. If the run game is working well and Montgomery has hge holes to run through, we can dumb down the offense amd predominantly run the ball.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Tyler Bray!

RRH to OLB
Patterson to Tight End
Peanut Tillman to safety
Etc, etc, etc

Sometimes I cant stand our fanbase

Kaufman20Embalm

Liked Posts:
I believe e I read somewhere that it is still a 53 man roster but that you can designate 2 players each week from the practice squad that can be game day eligible. There was also a restriction that one of your additional game day roster spots had to be an offensive lineman.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
i think if its close they keep burns over roberson...burns has the higher dead cap hit...also think they keep jenkins over urban...dont see anyone that can fill in well at NT...Nichols is a possibility but i'd rather have jenkins fill that role.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
i think if its close they keep burns over roberson...burns has the higher dead cap hit...also think they keep jenkins over urban...dont see anyone that can fill in well at NT...Nichols is a possibility but i'd rather have jenkins fill that role.

Spotrac says Burns has $0 dead cap and Roberson has $75k dead cap. Either way it's peanuts. Good thought on Jenkins.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
After discussing some positional battles yesterday and today, I decided to do a 55 man roster. Turns out those extra 2 spots make a huge difference. Here goes (mins ST which will be 3 guys):
QB (3): Trubs, Foles, Bray
RB (4): Monty, Cohen, Patterson, Nall/New signing (4)
WR (6): ARob, AntMill, Ridley, Wims, Ginn, Mooney
TE (4): Graham, Kmet, Harris, Holtz
OL (8): Leno, Daniels, Whitehair, Ifedi, Massie, Bars, Spriggs, Coward/Rookie

Total offense: 25

DL (5): Hicks, Glodman, RRH, Nichols, Urban
OLB (5): Mack, Quinn, Gipson, Mingo, Irving
ILB (4): Roquan, Danny T, Woods, Iggy
CB (7): Fuller, Johnson, Tolliver, Skrine, Shelly, Roberson, Vildor
S (6): Jackson, Gipson, Bush, Lucas, DHC, McMannis

Total defense: 27

There will probably be a few more guys signed at some point. I think there should be an ILB for sure and probably a RB, and I think a legit 3rd ILB might knock off a safety or WR.

Notable practice squad: Both rookie tackles, Denmark, Horsted, Anderson

Bottom line: having those extra two spots opens up a lot more wiggle room than I thought it would. There is also the possibility of 2 IRs designated for return this year, so it should be possible to redshirt a guy or two depending on early injuries.

No love for the UDFAs?! I see a few of them earning spots on the final roster.

I'm projecting:
Rashad Smith beating out Iggy at ILB
Dieter Eiselen impressing the coaches enough to where they have to keep him, even ahead of the 7th round OL.
Keandre Jones challenging and beating out one of either Irving/Mingo
Artavis Pierce jumping Nall and being RB3. (I don't consider Patterson a RB)

Also, I don't see all of Pace's 1 year tryout deals panning out. I don't imagine all of Ifedi, Spriggs, Mingo, Burns, Lucas, will make the roster. Some may look unimpressive in pre-season and that's where the UDFA and waiver wire signings come in play.