670 the score worried about Jenkins at LT

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Especially at a position like LT when you know you have a rookie at QB you are looking to develop who has issues sometimes with holding the ball too long.

Every move is a gamble in the NFL at some level but I think this one in particular they could have played better by prioritizing Fields development and keeping Leno at least one more year.

QB is a good position to talk about. Granted it's more important than all other positions, but just think about the current competition at the position; the rookie you traded up for, the vet who was a former first round pick and has played a lot of ball and another vet, who's a former Superbowl MVP. Chicago has identified that position as a need and have allocated a substantial amount of draft capital and cap space to fix.

Protecting whomever wins the above competition is the 2nd round pick and.......... who? I am not defending Leno or saying he's earned the starting spot, but we know he's started many games and has given some good reps. Personally I like having the combo of a vet trying to keep his job + youth trying to take it from them. It helps get the best out of both players. Currently that's not the case.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I thought it was interesting the day after Jenkins was drafted that hub arkish said Leno played so poorly that even if Jenkins was started at left tackle and did just an okay job he would still be an upgrade over Leno.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Wherever he ends up playing make up your mind while dalton is in there lol

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Wherever he ends up playing make up your mind while dalton is in there lol
They will. People scared to have a rookie play LT are the ones thinking Fields needs to be thrown in starting day 1 at QB. It’s going to be the opposite of that. Dalton starts with likely a rookie LT...

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I’m not at all worried by Jenkins skill set to play left tackle. As his head coach pointed out, he has the talent to be a top 10 pick. The reason he dropped was because he didn’t show up to play every single week. And that issue is irrelevant to what position he plays.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think people are going to be surprised when they look back, at how terrible Leno truly was.

I don't really draw a line between that and Jenkins' readiness, though. Those are two separate issues to me.

Leno was bad. Jenkins at the NFL level, especially at a premium position he's not used to, is not going to be a picnic in the park.

I don't think anyone should expect him to dominate right out of the gate. In fact, I'd expect some growing pains---perhaps *major* growing pains. We have to remember that he wasn't very good his first multiple years in college football---He really had to grow and come into his own. His NFL career may mirror that development process.

I have no problem, in a vacuum, with the Bears cutting Leno and saving that money that was going to a very below-average starting lineman. But I maybe would've preferred then taking that money and signing a veteran. But I suppose we'll see. Maybe it'll end up being an awesome move to get him used to being a pro LT right off the bat.
On the bright side, the Bears will figure that out right a way at camp.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
If the Plan is to get him to start at LT, then have him take every single rep he gets at LT. The worse thing that they could do is start him off taking Reps at LT, and then half way through Camp (or later), start having him take reps at RT, and then throw out some BS PR that says we need all of our players to be versatile.

Last edited:

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
If the Plan is to get him to start at LT, then have him take every single rep he gets at LT. The worse thing that they could do is start him off taking Reps at LT, and then half way through Camp (or later), start having him take reps at RT, and then through out some BS PR that says we need all of our players to be versatile.
Well, I sort of agree with that.

If the goal is the have him play LT, then I'd agree he should only practice that.

If the goal is to find out where he can make the most meaningful contributions to the team you'll have to run him through the different positions, evaluate each, then get him focusing on 1-2 roles from there.

The flaw with that logic is if he misses at LT, then the team is boned AND you may have stunted his development at a different position.

For me I look at college players as prospects, where you can project what they will do, but until they are on an NFL team taking snaps you don't really know what you have. To maximize their chance of success all rookies should get a chance to show what they have against NFL players, identify where they best fit and then start getting reps there to enhance their ability to make meaningful contributions.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Well, I sort of agree with that.

If the goal is the have him play LT, then I'd agree he should only practice that.

If the goal is to find out where he can make the most meaningful contributions to the team you'll have to run him through the different positions, evaluate each, then get him focusing on 1-2 roles from there.

The flaw with that logic is if he misses at LT, then the team is boned AND you may have stunted his development at a different position.

For me I look at college players as prospects, where you can project what they will do, but until they are on an NFL team taking snaps you don't really know what you have. To maximize their chance of success all rookies should get a chance to show what they have against NFL players, identify where they best fit and then start getting reps there to enhance their ability to make meaningful contributions.
I guess that makes good sense. A prime example is Long being asked to be a RT, Whitehair being asked to be Center, you could say the same about Daniels.

I guess just because we need a LT and we drafted Jenkins with a 2nd and a 3rd, does not mean that would be his best position.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
5 pages in and nobody talked about the obvious positive for Jenkins starting over Leno. The run game. I won't speak to Jenkins automatically being an upgrade at Pass Pro, but there is no possible way that he is worse at run blocking. Upgrading the run game will significantly help the QB, the LT position and the offense in general.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
especially for the nagy wonka jet shark sweep