[A] Has the Identity of the Blackhawks Returned?

PatrickSharpRules

Liked Posts:
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Two seasons, two first-round playoff exits, two new division champions, a lockout, and finally a breath of fresh air; timeline-wise this is how the Chicago Blackhawks have fared since Patrick Kane netted the odd Stanley Cup clinching goal.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Seemingly endless banter about the team has been created by odd moves, over the top expectations and mainly, the failure to return to the electrifying team we experienced for two seasons. For two seasons the almost infantile Hawks took us fans on a roller coaster ride. In 2008-09 we saw them rip through a circus road trip that for almost a decade marked the point were the season turned for the worse, showcased in the NHL’s best in the Winter Classic, won the division, and most importantly succeed in the playoffs. The next season they delivered what every fan dreams of.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Although the team has been successful on paper, in the standings and crossed the threshold into the post-season, the two seasons in between the Cup victory were as flat as a Coke from 1998. Watching a team with six bonafide all stars rank behind Columbus Blue Jackets on the power play is something that can be difficult to process. Seeing a team almost unresponsive when a teammate is laid out on the ice is something hockey fans just are not used to. Overall the consensus from fans and the league has been that we simply lost the intangibles that made us that good just a few years back. All around sports fans hear about the “it” factor, and from the role players and locker room guys, to guys who are now creating their legacies elsewhere, the feeling about the Hawks was we simply do not have “it”.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Intangible is defined as not able to be touched or grasped, and up until the start of this year the theme to return to greatness appeared perfectly tangible. Simply grab a center, tough defenseman, improve special teams, etc… yet the scintillating start of this season has taught me otherwise.[/font]

159729390_slide.jpg

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In this short mini-series of a season as I’ll call it, my critiques of the team have slapped me in the face. The bottom line with Michael Frolik and Marcus Kruger, two guys who at one point hoped to take a top-six role, have created chemistry and represented role-playing that we have not seen since 2010. Frolik, a 10[/font][sup]th[/sup][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] overall pick in 2006 seems to have taken his 4[/font][sup]th[/sup][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] line spot as something he’s been destined for, great fore-checking, boundless energy, amassed 17 shots, solid shifts and with Kruger provides a penalty kill that actually makes Don Cherry appreciate some European softies.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Prominence on the blue line has returned as well. Johnny Oduya seems to be the Brian Campbell imposter that Niklas Hjalmarsson needed to prove why Doug Wilson drove up his salary a few years back. In turn, Duncan Keith and Brent Seabrook are not being overused like Mark Prior and can return to the titans of the blue line we have always known. On top of these lines, our baptism by fire or trial and error experiment with Nick Leddy has paid dividends. His game has elevated in every facet, along the boards, offensively, mentally, the list goes on, his time on ice is way down, but oddly in the best way possible. Everyone recalls the last time we rolled three great, balanced, and effective lines on defense.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]There is no doubt this short compressed season will be an odd one, yet already there are more parallels to be drawn to the team we all have been yearning to get back to. It is far too early to predict anything, and six games are far too small of a sample to think everything will keep up this way. But that flat Coke we have tasted the past two seasons has without a doubt been washed away with unbridled optimism.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A whopping six games in and this team has already shed many critics from the off-season. That may include me in a few weeks but until then I will sit and enjoy the show, win lose or draw, or that stupid skills competition the games now go into.[/font]

Click here to view the article

Ashor-redtribe

Liked Posts:
Its fun to watch this team this year...as I have noticed alot of resemblance of the 2010 team, but I also gotta keep in mind that it could all come to a screeching hault, we need to stay healthy and focused. So far Its been both.

Ton

Liked Posts:
I also think health is the most important factor. So far I think it's hard to compare this team with the 2010 Cup team. That team in 2010 had a lot more grit to compliment the talent than people give them credit for. It's hard for me to say Kruger, Frolik, Stalberg, Bickell, Saad, Shaw, Bollig, and Mayers can find that balance of physicality with skill compared to Versteeg, Ladd, Buff, Brouwer, Kopecky, Madden, Burish, and Eager.

So far, I think we've seen that this team can display just as much talent as the team in 2010, but as far as grit I'm not so sure it's there (yet)... but it doesn't have to be the same team to win, doesn't have to be the same identity as long as they have an identity, and I do think our depth does provide a lot of intangibles. I think that's the most important thing here. They've battled hard for their record so far... I will say I haven't been this excited to see where they are by the end of the season since 2010. I think, so far, they have proved that they will be a great regular season team this year. I just hope they can win in the playoffs.

PatrickSharpRules

Liked Posts:
acco-redtribe' timestamp='1359499177 said:
Its fun to watch this team this year...as I have noticed alot of resemblance of the 2010 team, but I also gotta keep in mind that it could all come to a screeching hault, we need to stay healthy and focused. So far Its been both.

Exactly, while I am wanting to jump to conclusions, it is pure speculation and hope at this point.

One thing that cannot be debated is the fact that this 6 game win streak has a greater impact in our 48 game season then it would any other year. Something that should give us a head full of confidence moving forward.

Ton

Liked Posts:
Exactly, while I am wanting to jump to conclusions, it is pure speculation and hope at this point.

One thing that cannot be debated is the fact that this 6 game win streak has a greater impact in our 48 game season then it would any other year. Something that should give us a head full of confidence moving forward.

It's equivalent to 10 games in a full season. Didn't we have a 10-12 game streak in 2010?

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
I believe 9, the franchise record to, that also was apart of the circus road trip we tore a new asshole.

Didnt they go like 5-1-1 on a February road trip or something?

That shit was awesome.

Mach29

Liked Posts:
Hawks are seriously back, would like to see more from a few including Saad but I think it will come. The Wild is a different team with their spendy additions, will be a good game.

Got quality seats for Friday's BIG win.

dlrob315

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's equivalent to 10 games in a full season. Didn't we have a 10-12 game streak in 2010?

The six games is so significant in this shorten season that the Hawks could go .500 (pts %) the rest of the way and that would have them at 54 pts which should be enough for a playoff berth.

PatrickSharpRules

Liked Posts:
The six games is so significant in this shorten season that the Hawks could go .500 (pts %) the rest of the way and that would have them at 54 pts which should be enough for a playoff berth.

Interesting thought, yet all I can think of is 48-0. Hahah

Mach29

Liked Posts:
PSR' timestamp='1359513701 said:
Interesting thought, yet all I can think of is 48-0. Hahah

Just think "Eight out of the gate"; should be doable after watching the Wild take dumb penalties and wear themselves out on a team like Columbus.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
That team in 2010 were allowed a few years to play together and get chemistry, grow into roles.

The team the last two years - while described as "flat" - was in a transition mode.

There is no doubt that they did not have any choices to go through this.

They had to restructure the salaries of the team - due to high/rising contracts...and what will now be a 6mil dollar reduction in the cap - within 3yrs of the Cup.

Management had to make some important decisions - identify the core group, trade what assets they could (while other teams knew they were in cap hell), and allow some of the youth to develop. Some here, some in Jr's/Minors. It takes time. Those things are impossible to happen overnight. There has been some tremendous patience shown on their behalf while everyone wants a "win now" mentality.

While the last 2 playoffs may have been labeled as "failures" and disappointments by fans...fact is..this team wasn't far off in each of the 2 playoff exits, to VAN (who lost in game 7 of the finals) or PHX who lost in the Conference finals. Health had a major factor in the playoffs over anything, in each of those 2 series - to key players...but that seems to be overlooked and the Hawks get labeled as "flat" or not giving effort, or simply failing.

Now, 2 years later, this team is revamped. They are sitting in both a very good cap postion as well as having a pretty good talent pool of youth, to fill in when some salaries get too high...or if there are injuries. While not every prospect will be a top tier player, there seems to be a good amount of competition there when opportunities come.

This team has had center issues. Would Grabovski or Plekanec be a saviour for this team's 2nd center role? Would they have been worth a 1st round pick (TT..McNeil)? And guarantee a better team...or a first round win one of those 2 last seasons? Or now...the Hawks have young centers in Kruger, Shaw, McNeil, Danault, KHayes....all in the pipeline - and hope one or two can fill in? They've allowed Stalberg to develop, hang on to Bickell...while also having Saad, TT, Morin...Shalunov...all be able to maybe become a top 6 with the other core 5 they have in place.

They have bottom 6 forwards in Smith, JHayes, Flick, Bollig...or any of the others that done pan out as top 6 in the future.

The patience of the Hawks, the belief in building through the draft, hanging on to prospects for the long term health of this team instead of the band aid fixes...has been the identity of the Hawks. Fiscal responsiblilty in identifying that if they are going to try to sign a player (Parise, Suter)...they would be impact players...rather than the midlevel (3-5mil dollar players) in a Fleischmann or a Kopecky

The team is built to be healthy both financially and in talent, and the vision has always been there, IMO. It just took time to restructure when they were financially handcuffed.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I would say te team doesn't the identity of the 2010 back--that identity has gone the way of Jordan Hendry.

I would say that unlike the past 2 years, they have formed at least the beginnings of a new identity.

Ashor-redtribe

Liked Posts:
This road trip will tell alot of how they are..they will be facing some tough teams. If they come out of it 500, I will be very happy.

Ashor-redtribe

Liked Posts:
I also think health is the most important factor. So far I think it's hard to compare this team with the 2010 Cup team. That team in 2010 had a lot more grit to compliment the talent than people give them credit for. It's hard for me to say Kruger, Frolik, Stalberg, Bickell, Saad, Shaw, Bollig, and Mayers can find that balance of physicality with skill compared to Versteeg, Ladd, Buff, Brouwer, Kopecky, Madden, Burish, and Eager.

So far, I think we've seen that this team can display just as much talent as the team in 2010, but as far as grit I'm not so sure it's there (yet)... but it doesn't have to be the same team to win, doesn't have to be the same identity as long as they have an identity, and I do think our depth does provide a lot of intangibles. I think that's the most important thing here. They've battled hard for their record so far... I will say I haven't been this excited to see where they are by the end of the season since 2010. I think, so far, they have proved that they will be a great regular season team this year. I just hope they can win in the playoffs.

And this is why I think come April 1st...they need to add some of that...not just someone that can brawl...but can score too, likes of Eager and Adam.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
"Grit" lost from 2010 vs Last years numbers

Brouwer - 189 hits - Shaw 82 hits (37gms...pace for 182)

Ladd - 104 hits - Bickell 128hits (71gms)

Byfuglien - 215hits - Carcillo 72 hits (28gms..pace for 210)

Kopecky - 72 hits - Frolik 56 hits (63gms)

Eager - 51hits (60gms) or Burish - Bollig 27 hits (18gms)...Mayers 102 hits

Now Shaw and Carcillo may not have the size of Brouwer or Byfuglien...but they don't skate as well as those 2.

Kruger may be more skilled than Madden was at the end of his career...and he's not afraid to get his nose dirty.

The Defence 5/6 with Leddy/Rosival/Brookbank...is more skilled than the Sopel/Boynton/Hendry pairing

Not to mention Toews, Kane, Hjarll, Bolland being more experienced.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I can't wait till they lose one and people go into full blown panic talking about how they are just like the Bears this year....